Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-09-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
I know some of you have had some experience with this topic. What I need to know is...should this be standard equipment right along with the tool box? Educate me please.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-09-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
Do you have a spare tire on your car? That should answer your question.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
I agree.

Think of it this way. If you bend your prop not only are you done for the day but it usually take about a week to get a prop reshaped. So you are also without a prop for the days it is getting fixed.

You dont have to have a bad ass prop for your spare just like with a tire. Enough to get you around while you are without your main prop.

Still get one for your boat but if you have some fancy expensive prop right now then jsut get a cheaper one to fit your boat. If you have a piece of $%*( on there right now buy a bad ass prop and make the current one your spare. If you manage to bend your spare prop and dont have the good one fixed yet you need to learn how to drive. Or maybe get a depth finder
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-09-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
yeaaaaahh...
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-10-2005, 6:24 AM Reply   
I am an Acme dealer. I sell a "Weekend Saver Kit" that includes the case, prop, tools, and parts necessary to perform a boat ramp prop change. Keep the "boat tools" in the boat and don't remove them except to work on the boat. That way you always have the basics aboard at all times.

Hammer, Phillips, Slotted, adjustible wrench, allen set, needle nose pliers, wire stripper, wire crimper, vise grip, wire ties, hose clamps, electrical tape, duct tape, spare prop, extra wire, wire crimp connectors, spare belt, spare impeller, WD-40, hand soap. Optional, but recommeded, a 3/8 drive socket set and jumper cables - the 24' set. Store all the tools in a plastic bag with a few squirts of WD-40 for rust prevention. Have another bag with clean cloths and some gloves. The clean cloths double duty during first aid.

Sound like a lot, but except for the jumper cables and prop case, if fits in two gallon size zip lock bags under the observer's seat.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-10-2005, 7:53 AM Reply   
Always have a spare prop. Like Phall925 said it take a good week to have your prop fixed if it is fixable. Boarditup also hit the nail on the head. If you dont have the tools to change the prop there is no use having it.
I learned my lesson the hard way. We went out of town for a weekend trip. While in the 5 mph zone I hit an unmakred rock and it ruined the weekend because no local shops there carried a RH rotation prop. Trust me get one.
Boarditup being an acme dealer I want your opinion on if my bent prop can be fixed. My dealers said he sent it out and they said no. Just looking for another opinion before I throw it out.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-10-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
RodE, Looks pretty bad but i would take it to a couple of prop shops and get a second/third opinion. Even it they had to, or even could remove the bent edges you would still have somewhat of a spare (as long as it can be balanced). I hate to see a $350 prop go to the dumpster...

(Message edited by biz on March 10, 2005)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-10-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
i've seen a prop reworked that had all the blades pretty much folded down around the hub. it ended up smoother than they were right before the hit. take it to a good prop shop, not the stealership that just wants you to buy a new one.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-10-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
It may be possible to re-work it. The problem is that with that severe of a bend, there will be some metal fatigue. The next hit, it may break on the fold line. That is probably the reason it was returned. It looks like an Acme, so it has to be worked by a firm with the Acme blocks, or it will never work right.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-10-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
Boarditup,
You are right it is an acme prop. I wasnt sure if it is worth having it fixed since I already have a spare prop. I saw this thread and wanted a second opinion. Thanks for all the input. Its going to the dumpster today.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
Karl so how much for the kit with and without the spare prop??
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-10-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
Tom get a spare!! Having one saved last years Memorial Day weekend. Hit a rock early on saturday. Left the boat in the water had it changed out in about 1/2 hour.

Rod don't throw it out. Call Atlantis propellers in San Diego 619-204-0638 He fixed mine which was alot worse than yours
Andrew
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-10-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
This one is easy....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-10-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
The tools included with that prop change kit should already be standard aboard all boats. If not, you're just askin for it. Whenever our boat goes out, it's always a given that we have a very well stocked toolbox aboard at all times, in case you have an "oh crap" occasion. Better safe than sorry.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-10-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
Extra prop, nut and cotter pin. As well the removal tool are a must.

RodE, that prop is salvagable, I've seen worse fixed.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-10-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
I grew up with an outboard, owned a twenty year old outboard for one year, owned an I/O for 11 years and just bought my first V-drive this year. I’ve always had a spare prop and tools onboard my I/O, so I’ll be shopping for a spare for the new boat.

Those under the hull fins are new to me, does anyone carry spare fins? How ugly does it get if they get hurt?

It does look like most inboards and v-drives have a more shallow draft than similar sized I/O and I think they have less bow rise. I’m hoping that help to keep inboard props away from danger, any comments?

Thanks!
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-10-2005, 6:29 PM Reply   
Thanks All...........I'm getting a spare. Lots of great advise.

Ed, start a new thread line with your concern. I think we will learn even more from the vets. peace out
Old    walt            03-10-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
Tom, Have you got your boat out yet this year ?
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-10-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Tom -
You may get it repaired but be sure the cost is not to close to a new replacement. Just trying to value a new replacement vs. questionable repair in the long run.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-11-2005, 12:04 AM Reply   
Kenny,

This may help with your pricing question. Props vary slightly in price depending on 3 or 4 blade and the diameter:

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_boat_propellers

The Weekend Saver Kit goes for $99.95 and includes a harmonic prop removal tool. This is much easier to use than the C clamp type. It even works underwater.

Mike
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-11-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
3-blade prop with Weekend Saver Kit $400 shipped in US.

rider@boarditup.com
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
I have a spare prop just thinking bout the entire kit as a holewith out prop.,or just going to sears and getting some more tools, and a brass punch...
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-11-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
3 blade prop - $340
Weekend saver - $100
Reward points - <$44>
Shipping - free in USA
Net cost - $396

We have found that many boats really have the wrong propeller once the ballast is finally configured right. Therefore, we recommend that boat owners buy the right propeller for the current ballast plus a weekend saver and make the existing prop the spare. Kill two birds with one stone.

http://www.wakeside.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=wakeboard_b oat_propellers

Mike
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
This is the prop on my boat and the spare that was given to me--
ACME 449 13x12.625 L1 1/8

Are these correct, cause this is what was on all the Sangers V215s

My boat is a 2005 Sanger V215 with triple ballast..
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-11-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
Good prop for the boat. You can drop down in pitch if you need more hole shot.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
how far could I and should I...
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-11-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
Walt, been going to the gym to get the winter kinks out, we'll be ready in april...........peace out
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-13-2005, 3:09 AM Reply   
You can go down to an 11.5 pitch. It will cost you about 3-4 mph top end, so you may hit the fev limiter. If you are only wakeboarding, it should not be much of an issue. You next step is a 515, then a 525.

Let me know if you want either.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-13-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
Not worried about top end speed.. I only cruise and board...So if it will give me a better hole shot then I am all for it!

Is the 525 too much to were I will see a neg difference if I'm not completely weighted down with ballast and a ton of people? I normally have 3-6 people and just the standard 3x ballast.

What would I do with the spare I have since they are both the same (on the boat & spare)I dont need 3 props, and just this weekend I got a new board and getting bindings today so I dont have the 3+ to fork out not really needing a 3rd.. I wouldn't mind taking the prop off my boat and putting the 525 on and just keeping the other for the spare....

Thanx......
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-13-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
I have the 525 on my V210 and its not a problem. Hole shot is awesome, starts easily on 1/2 throttle with 1600 pounds & 7 peeps. Top speed is about 42-43 pulling 5,100. This is without water but I do carry 550 pounds of lead. My boat bobs pretty bad above 40 anyway.
Old    whitechocolate            03-13-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
The case comes with puller, wrench, cotter pin and nut. The case was $150 The prop was extra

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-14-2005, 7:21 PM Reply   
does anyone know I I could possible swap props? 449 for a 525..
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-14-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
Kenny,

It may not help all that much. If you are fine with the hole-shot then I would leave it and buy a 525 when you damage your prop.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-14-2005, 10:33 PM Reply   
yeah I'm fine with it, just figured since I have 2 might as well have the spare standard and the one on it the 525. don;t get me wrong I'm not going to spend $300+ for a 3rd.. just wondering if there was a way to swap?