Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-14-2003, 3:36 PM Reply   
I guess we can see why the new xstar was rushed to the market before it was ready, Tige', Moomba, Malibu all have 23+ foot monsters as there wakeboarding flagships now.
Old    ernie_mckn            08-14-2003, 6:12 PM Reply   
hasn't Calabria had one for around for at least three years now, the Cal-air pro v, what took every one else so long to catch on. i guess nobody made a big deal about it because it wasnt way overpriced and funky lookin, oh well gotta love the big boats
Old    oshensurfer            08-15-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
Malibu's Wakesetter LSV is saaawweeeet! I went to the Malibu Open last month and this is what they were riding behind. From what I could tell, the wake is sweet. The boat itself looked really well done too. Here's a pic of Shawn Murray (i think) and the wake. I think this may be my choice for my next boat.

Wakesetter
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-16-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
rushed to the market before it was ready?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2003, 12:38 PM Reply   
More in a marketing sense than actual product sense. The hype machine started about 6 months before production models arrived. Once the product arrived it was perfect as you would expect from MC.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
Tige has had a 23V for several years now. The 24V with the new hull was for late 03/04.
Old     (bmblbee)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-17-2003, 7:26 AM Reply   
All the hype and creation of a strong demand before supply was available has allowed Mastercraft to set the price of the X-Star where it is today. Got to give them credit for being able to extract the maximum profit from their products.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-17-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
here we go again........
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-17-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrong I'm not criticizing MC just making an observation.
Old    tattoobling            08-18-2003, 6:30 AM Reply   
I'm glad someone finally pointed this out. MC should be ashamed of themselves for creating a demand for their product. What must they be thinking?
Old    jzwake            08-18-2003, 7:11 AM Reply   
Yeah, and they should market it "Just Like all the rest". The New X stars Hype wasn;t really based on the Boat being big, There have always been big boats then it. It was that the boat was built from scratch for wakeboarding, there for would be a amazing wakeboard boat. I for one have ridden behind it and will say it is Very nice but A little no Pricey for Me.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
There is a reason MC and the others are jumping to make their flagship models the larger boats. Profit will be the answer of most, but I believe that it falls into the major complaints or suggestions that most have given; More interior/storage room, Larger wakes, smoother ride.
IMHO, they just can't can't get anymore out of the smaller 20ft 90" beam boats.

I think travis could answer this better than anyone...but I am willing to bet that the wake on the new XStar is very similar to the wake of the MC Maristar 230/X30. The MC Maristar 230 has been around for years.

Just my $.02

KG
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
I bet the new x-star is a financial flop at this point. It cost tons to produce and it stalled sales during the hype-but-not-here period.

I would prefer an X2 over the XSTAR because the X2 has a better wake and costs a ton less.

I think MC would have been better off simply improving the cockpit size on the X2 (the only weakness of the x2).
Old    tommyadrian5            08-18-2003, 9:54 AM Reply   
I think the whole thing now is that boat manufacturers are realizing that a wakeboard boat doesn't have to be a ski boat with a hull that can make a big wake. They are finally making wakeboard specific boats, with no bias towards a boat that you could ski behind. These are companies that have been making tiny wake ski boats for alot longer than wakeboard boats. For these ski boats smaller was better. No skiers were going out in crews of 10-15, adding 2000 lbs of ballast to their boats, and looking for a floating party, they for the most part would go out, take a few slalom passes, then go home. The X-star, LSV, and SAN to a point, with others to come, are the first boats which are truly trying to cater to the wakeboarder by giving them not only a great wakeboarding platform but something that makes ergonomic sense, a less cramped, more user friendly boat that can make for some serious fun. I don't see the X-star as an anomoly, i see it as the future. It gets bashed because its one of the first of its kind(which justifies the price, you want it, you're gonna pay for it), but i guarantee you that other manufacturers will/are following suit, and once the competition is there prices WILL fall, as computer prices fell as more and more players realized they could make a buck buying some chips and boards and assembling them, and could make more money by designing them to operate faster and be more user friendly before anyone else. My 2 cents on the overblown MC X-star issue.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
Bigger is not always better for wakeboarding either.

Bigger boats are harder to sink and harder to push. This means more ballast and more gas.

Wider boats also create rampy wakes too.

IMO, 21 foot boats are the sweet spot. Again, the ultimate wakeboard boat is here - its the VLX top-side on the SAN bottom-side.

Serious wakeboarders, like serious skiers, are also not interested in a huge crew. I want room for 4 to 6, not 8 to 10.
Old    tattoobling            08-21-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
Congratulations are in order for Mr. Adrian. Very well put, all your ideas make sense except for one. I just can't imagine ANY boat ever getting cheaper. Perhaps when there is more competition the price increase may slow down a bit. But I just don't see anybody lower their price from a previous year, unless the factory's got a bunch left over, and that ain't gonna happen any time soon. There are no economies of scale here. Millions of computers are sold every year, but less than 10,000 inboard boats are sold annually
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-21-2003, 4:29 PM Reply   
here's what I say......