Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-11-2009, 9:43 PM Reply   
I'm a big dude. 6'3" 250lbs

this is my 3rd season. I still cannot clear the wake.

I am starting to think that I am riding too slow. 19 mph average.

Maybe I need more speed to get my big butt over the hump.

I feel like I am progressively edging. I am really trying to build as much speed as I can. I have had a few lessons. I just feel stalled out...

any tips?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-11-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
yea definately speed up to id say at least 22mph. im a big dude as well. lol. go about 22. definately not any slower than that.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
+1 for increased speed. Nice boat/tow set up BTW. How do you like your Absolute? Do you feel like you sitting too far in the water? I' wondering if your boards too short. CWB guys?
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-11-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
I'm riding a 141 absolute 2006. Is that too short? Thanks for the comment hoser

(Message edited by reconabe on May 11, 2009)
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-11-2009, 10:07 PM Reply   
no you can make it with a 141 i'm 6'2 230 and i ride anywhere between 22-27 depending on the boat just play with it and find the speed that feels most comfortable for you and the way you ride it may change as you progress.
Old     (ntoscani)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-11-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
I don't ride CWB but IMO a 141 is way to small for your size. I'm 6'2" 205 and ride a 142-143. I feel if I ride a small board than that i can't get enough speed and sink on landings. BTW +1 for increasing the speed.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-11-2009, 10:53 PM Reply   
I have been thinking of a new board. Any tips for a big guy like me ready to move up?
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-11-2009, 10:58 PM Reply   
Definately go bigger man. 250 myself and I'm currently looking at the Faction 144, Marek 146 and Decade 144. The bigger the better. You'll ride higher up the water and the board will be faster than anything in a 141 from what I've seen.
Old     (mcclure_kevo)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-11-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
you definately need to go faster
the marius 140 is a good board for big guys its a little shorter but the width makes up for the surface area you need im 5'11 and about 275 lbs thats what i ride and a lot of the big guys i know ride the same board

(Message edited by mcclure_kevo on May 11, 2009)
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-11-2009, 11:02 PM Reply   
I'm 6'4", and 215. Definitely increase the speed. You've got to be riding a really short rope to be going 19 mph with that boat. drop your rope to 60 feet or so, and ride at 22-23. I ride a 145 response, and am thinking about moving to a 142 recoil. Work on your edge by jumping inside-out of the wake, and going as big as you can. this will help with your timing on your pop, and getting a little feel for what to do with your body when you do clear the wake. timing is everything. I wouldn't say that board is to terribly small for you, but I would definitely consider moving to something a little bigger.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 11:19 PM Reply   
im 6'3" at 235 to 240. I ride a obrien decade 139 most of the time. i also ride at about 23 mph. and im gettin a lot more air on my jumps this season than last. last i was on a 145 hyperlite state. so you dont really need a smaller board. you do need to speed up though. a lot. i will say this for the small board. i dont land as much stuff as i do on a state. but because of this im getting much better. when i ride the state, i land almost everything. even bad jumps that look fugly.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-12-2009, 5:10 AM Reply   
What line length are you riding at? That can play a big role in what your speed. Also a higher speed creates a harder wake.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-12-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
Get a response 145. Great board for a bigger guy. Has a continuous rocker so its fast.
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-12-2009, 6:07 AM Reply   
I'm 6'4 and 200. It took me several summers to get that first w2w, but eventually after much crashing and some lessons I've progressed there and past.

Boat speed + line length + board + your timing and cut are all factors. I used to ride 19 because the faster speed intimidated me, but now 21/22 is standard and easier for w2w. If you are getting decent pop but not the distance to land on the downside of the other wake, shorten up your line. Go to 60' or even less if you are good with knots and can put a bowline in your line. We've taught a lot of people to go w2w by having them ride a 50 or even 45 foot rope so that the wake is less wide for them. As they get the feel (and get really stoked) we lengthen the line 5' or so at t time until and they slowly increase the energy and pop to keep landing w2w. I have a witness 144 and love it. Bigger board = more pop. Last, and hardest, is getting that timing right and not cutting too hard. Prog. edge feels really slow at first, when you first let the boat drift you back. I spent 3 years overdoing my cut and couldn't clear the wake because I was off balance or had no pop. Keep working at it - you will get it!

BTW - what is happening to you on the jumps? Are you landing and edging away and in control, just not getting distance? Or are you crashing a lot? A little more info could help diagnose.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-12-2009, 6:32 AM Reply   
Abe: There's some great advice here. Definitely bump up your speed. Try 21 or 22mph, behind the VLX you'll find it much easier. Shorten your line up to 60 if you must but I wouldn't go shorter, it'll start messin with your edging technique if you go much shorter.
And sizing up your board is a must, something with more surface area to keep you on top of the water more, give you more pop, softer landings and stability. Go take a look through wakeworlds board guide and start by picking out the boards 144 and over and see what you like. Maybe head into your local pro shop if you have one and start asking questions.

(Message edited by kristian on May 12, 2009)
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-12-2009, 6:34 AM Reply   
at least 22 mph, marek 146, and technique technique technique
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-12-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
Abe,

Check your email.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Im 6foot 208 and I ride the fastest out of everyone in my group. They like 22-23 and Im always runnin 24-25.

A bigger board for learning is definately key. Yeah you could get away with a 142 but I would get a really fast bigger board like a Slingshot response 145 or the Marek 146. The slingshot will make you edge properly and really build your technique. I wish they would make a recoil or reflex in like a 144 or 145. I have mentioned it to them so maybe at somepoint they will. The bigger board will carry more speed and have a softer landing due to increased surface area. Not to mention it provides a bigger platform for you to land on, making it a little more forgiving. The slingshots and the marek are pretty light too. I personally think the slingshot boots are better than hyperlites though
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-12-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
Abe, if you want to try a bigger board without spending too much money I have a LF Witness 144 that has only been used a few times and is in near perfect shape.

I would suggest the things other people are saying. Speed up to 21-22, shorten the rope to 60-65 and try a bigger board.
Old    walt            05-12-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
IMHO 19 MPH is WAY to slow for a guy your size. I think you'll find it's less work going a little faster too.

Your not going to like the extra speed at first so try bumping your speed up a little every couple of sets until you find your happy place. I would think that 23 would be a minimum speed for a guy your size.

As you speed up your going to notice the wake will get smaller too so you might think about adding more weight at some point.

With that said if you not edging right your still going to have problems. Find someone better than yourself to ride with and have them help you out or hire a coach.

http://wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/Basics.asp

Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-12-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
6'2 265 LBS I do Ride a 140 but I like to ride at about 24 to 25. Your cut will make a big differance too.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-12-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the tips. I ride at about 75'.

I guess I need to stop being such a pu$$y and ride faster. I still have a little fear from some bad crashes last year.

I am landing about 3/4 of the way across the wake.

I will look into a bigger board. I just need some $$ for that first.

(Message edited by reconabe on May 12, 2009)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-12-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
That is way too far out for a beginner at those speeds behind a boat with a boat that doesn't have a skinny wake. Try 65 and 22.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-12-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Demo a CWB Faction 144cm and a CWB Kink 146cm.
Old     (gwperry2)      Join Date: May 2009       05-12-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
I am 260 ANd ride a 141 Prospect Great board best thing I have ever riden I ride at 75' and 23-24mph. If I were you I would speed up to 22 and ride at 60-65' The board size worry about later just shorten your rope and go faster. Do you fill the ballest and use the wedge when you ride? that will make a difference also.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-12-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
If you can't clear the wake shorten the rope to a length where you can clear it with ease. You can always extend the rope whenever you progress but don't feel like you have to ride your rope full length
Old    thebiggmann            05-12-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
6'2" and 240 and I ride between 22-24. I don't have the greatest wake behind a DD, so i am riding at like 65' right now, thinking about trying to lengthen that this summer and see what happens tho. As for board I'm on a 143 Lyman, and i have no problems with it size wise, no sinking, good landings and pop, but i don't think the board is the place to start, give everyone else's tips a shot and if all else fails give the board a change.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
I have the Faction 144 and love it so far. 6 ft 225, and my first year boarding. Took one quick lesson and surprised the crap out of myself when I cleared the wake easily. I came from slalom skiing and had to change the way I cut to the wake. Huge difference!!!!
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-13-2009, 4:30 AM Reply   
I weigh 215. i had a guy who worked for the mastercraft dealer teach me a few years ago. he said 19 was plenty. well he was 5'6" and about 150. so after a few lost summers i talked to travis moye. travis said a minimum of 23.5 mph. i know Rusty usually rides at 25. travis told me this and the guy who won the chip trip from hyperlite and spent 3 days w Rusty also told me this. and i ride a marek 146...
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
I think that shorting the rope to 60'-65' is going to make all the difference. at 75' and 19MPH the wake has to be wide as hell. and you would have to take a hell of a cut to get all the way across. The bump up in boat speed will make the wake narrower and then shortening the rope will as well. I would bet that those 2 things will make the wake maybe 10 feet or more narrower and then you should be going W2W or into the flats with no problem. Then when you are comfortable with the speed you may want to increase the line length. For whatever reason, I still am riding at 65' I have landed 4 different inverts, and I am going to try and go out to 70' and see how it goes, but when I go further out I always feel like I have to charge the wake too hard and it messes me up. Good luck.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-13-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
any slower than 23.5 and you're going to get a lot of drag from the board. it won't sit high enough in the water to allow it to work properly with 250lbs on it. you just need to speed up the boat. 75 is a good place to start.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
I am 240 and ride 25 mph. I ride the 146 Marek and haven't found another board that size that comes close. I ride at 80 ft. 19 mph is slow. When you are big it is a matter of surface area of the board. If you can't get a big board, then you have to make it up in speed. Unfortunately the faster you go the smaller the wake. There is nothing that I hate more than going slow feeling like I am dragging.
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
Im 6'3" 250 and ride at 24 with a 75' line.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-16-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
I went out yesterday and and tried some of your tips, mostly upping the speed. I noticed a big diff. It was choppy so, the speed made me a little nervous. I will just have to get used to it. I was able to jump pretty far (not w2w) but as far as before but with no effort. I will probably try a new board, but need some cash first.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-16-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Ill tell you what I tell everyone who cant make it w2w...

It is alot easier on your body to go w2w then it is to go half way or even worse 3/4 or casing it. The first time you go w2w you will say wow that landing is so much better than half way. You might take a fall or two, but most people I have taught make it all the way and land it because it is easier than the landing of half way. Suck it up and go for it! *Make sure you keep the handle in and elbows at your hips
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-20-2009, 5:29 PM Reply   
I have been riding faster and I am almost there, but the landing is HARD. I think I will try a bigger board.

Looking at Ronix One 146

or Hyperlite Marek 146

Any thoughts tips suggestions. Does anyone have experience riding either?
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-20-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
I have The marek 146 for sale!!! I'm 230 and its fast! Great pop and soft landings. I don't like the edging and how it reacts to my style. I'm. CWB marius guy!

Keep that rope low, head and sholders up and look at the horizon.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-20-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Kellen pm sent
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
Were there any major changes in the marius from 06 till 09 or is it same board just different graphics?
also what is the difference between the marius and marius platinum? besides price. Is it worth the extra $$$?
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-24-2009, 9:21 PM Reply   
Keep up the effort Abe. You have the right attitude!

I second Kevin Hoye's comments. You are landing in the hardest spot currently, just short of the second wake. Once you clear, the landings are much softer. A bigger board will make a substantial difference. But you can clear the wake easily with your current board. Go ahead and shorten the rope to 60'. Bump up to 23 mph. The wake will be narrower, slightly smaller, but much firmer and therefore more lift, especially for a big guy on a medium sized board.

It sounds like you are taking a big cut with lots of speed to clear the wake. This can actually work against you. You really do not need much speed to clear most wakes. I know I have the habit of letting of my edge when I take a big cut and I am hauling butt at the wake. This can kill your pop.

I know everyone tells you this, but it can not be overstated. Hold your edge up the wake. Try some simple one wake cuts. Start only 8 feet from the wake HS, cut in gradually but try to maximizes your acceleration, not speed but acceleration, at the top of the wake and extend your hips. Really concentrate on your timing and keep accelerating all the way up the wake and do not absorb the wake. When you hold that line tension and extend your hips at the top of the wake, you will feel a nice upward lift. Once you get this feeling, take a gradually bigger cut. Just remember, even when you are going faster, you must be accelerating up the wake to get good pop. With good line tension, you can clear the wake with minimal speed.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-24-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
200 lbs. 142 board. 6'0' tall.... 24-25 mph 85 ft line.

i guess it boils down to the board, weight etc....
Old     (ukiman)      Join Date: May 2009       05-25-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
sack up, ride faster, cut harder and use a 140+ board and you should be good to go. I am 6'5" 240+ and I have no problem clearing wake or landing inverts in the flats. I ride about 23mph on a 80 foot rope. Just gotta go hard.