Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-17-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
I have been trolling this site for years, and Dad and I have finally decided to buy a used tournament boat. So I know these topics are beat to death on here...

But I have specific needs. We are looking at spending b/w 20k - 30k or so, and are looking for a boat that will throw a nice slalom wake when unweighted, but can also be weighted down for a good wakeboarding wake. The boats I am looking at are:

2000 Air Nautique - I know this is a great boat for wakeboarding, but has anyone tried to ski behind it?

2005 Moomba Mobius LS (direct drive) - again, looking for comments on the ski and boarding wake... Dad slaloms and I do both

2005 Moomba Mobius LSV (v drive) - same as above

2001 Toyota Epic X22 - Dad is partial to this one b/c of the Lexus motor but I'm not sure about the ski/wake performance, haven't heard much about it.

I hope someone can shed some light on the wake difference with these boats... I have only ever wakeboarded behind the Air Nautique so I have no idea how the other ones are for both sports.

Thanks so much,

Dustin

(Message edited by lakelife on April 17, 2009)
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
I have an 07 Moomba Outback V (same as the 05 LSV) Im not sure of the slalom wake but it throws a great wake when weighted properly. Im sure if you play with the wake plate you can get it flat

I hear those old Epics are great on gas!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
Is the air Nautigue the direct drive? Unless you are running shortline, any direct drive will probably do fine. If you want to get into a Vdrive, you should also look at old xstars/x2s/x1s. I used to have an old xstar and we ran the course quite often with it. If you only have a driver and a passenger the wake is surprisingly nice. I use to run 15@36. The wakeboard wake is of course legendary.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
Jesus, I just turned into that guy who gives advice on boats that he didn't even ask about
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-17-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for mentioning it Paul, I just figured the XStar would have a horrible slalom wake. We really want a boat that can do both! I will look into some older XStars... was yours the V-drive or direct drive?

The Air Nautique I am looking at is a V-Drive. They even look like they would throw a big wake for skiing, such a deep hull design. Then again, I'm no scientist...
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-17-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
Yeah Jay, the Epics are awesome on gas... not to mention reliability (from what I've heard anyway). It just seems anyone who owns them are asking a premium price for them, and no one seems to know what the ride is like...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
It was the vdrive(2001 model). Note I said with 2 or less people in it. I tried with five, and got tossed out the front going into the gate(that was a painful crash). I never ran slower than 34 in it, but my friend did and said it was ok. A tad big, but ok.

(Message edited by psudy on April 17, 2009)
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
i run about 34 in my 2000 205V - which is the same hull as the 01 XStar. I think it is pretty nice slalom wake as well.
Old     (craig_xti_88)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-17-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Another boat you might be interested in is the Malibu Sunsetter LXi series. I'm in the same situation as you. My dad ski's and I do both. When unweighted it throws a nice ski wake, and with 1500 plus the wedge it throws a very nice wakeboard wake. Just my two cents.

I have a friend who has a 2000 Air Nautique DD and he is in the ski/wakeboard situation. He can tear it up on a course with no weight in it. When he added around 1500 lbs it throughs a GREAT wakeboard wake.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-17-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
Is his 2000 air like this one, seems pretty loaded as well.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=816599
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-17-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
The Epics are awesome, throw a great wake. I had an '01 Epic X22 and owned it for four years. Never had a single remotely-serious issue the entire time. There have been days when I've questioned why I ever sold it...

The wake is rampy for a direct drive (or on the steeper side compared to most v-drives), with a nice little lip at the top. The v-drive Epic wakes are rampier than the direct drive with a longer transition.

When loaded up, The wake on my d-drive has most closely compared to, in my opinion, the older Supra 22SSV's or Mooomba LSV.

That being said, your price range should allow a bit more than what the d-drive Epics are selling for in this economy, which is in the high teens. I sold mine last year for $22k (and paid $25k for it four years earlier).

Good luck.
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-17-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
Sounds like I have just broadened my selection! Ahhh I thought this process would be FUN, not CONFUSING!

Keep the comments coming though guys, I'm learning a lot...

Thanks again,
Dustin
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-17-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 Launch and with no ballast and the wake plate down it gets pretty flat. But with the plate up and about 2400lbs of water the wake is huge. You can surf, wakeboard and ski behind my boat no prob. A Direct Drive seems like it would suit you the best. Wake skate @ 75 ft. And a good wave for a DD I think, I'm 6 ft tall and the board is 5'1". Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-17-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
Man those came out tiny. If you want to see them better I will P.M. you my facebook.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-17-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
AS to the crossover. You have to decide on what's important to you. Better ski wake or boarding wake. Not sure if those were just boats you found or if those were just some ideas.

The V-Drive Nauty won't compare to the others in slalom. Probably the worst for slalom out of the boats. That wake is hard and firm at the shortline position.

D-Drive Air Nautique would be a good boat. I would stay away from the "Pro" Air Nautique version as that hull is awful for slalom. However the standard Air Nauty D-drive has great wakes for both.

The V-Drive Moomba LSV is surprisingly very good at both. Sure the bump in the wake will be a liitle bigger than a direct drive, but with the hydraulic wakeplate option its smooth and with weight some great nicley defined wakes for boarding. Buddy owns one and he runs shortline in a course with no problems on the ski side and the wakeboard wakes can see nearly pro caliber size of a boat back then. (Pro caliber wake definitions have changed with boat evolution(IE humongo wake producing machines), but this boat is a solid wake producing machine when compared to those of the 21ft range)

D-Drive Moomba LS will have a little better ski wake then the LSV but will have a little harder time getting a big wake for boarding.

The X1/original X-Star/205v V Drive MC also has great wakes for skiing and boarding. I have puled skieres in a course and have on more then one occassion put it head to head with the Moomba LSV. The LSV's ski wake is smoother with less of a bump due to the plate option. We had 3 peeps in the boat. However the X-Star's wakeboarding wake is legendary.

The Direct Drive version of the X1/original X-Star/205V is the Prostar 205. Much less of a bump at the shortline and still great bording wakes as it sports the same hull as the 205V.

I have also spent some time in a Supra Launch D-drive and even with the hydro plate the ski wakes are hard. It just has such a deep running hull the wake gets hard.

I have 0 experience with a Toyota. But I will tell you their engines even though you may think ae solid because of the Lexus name.....Lexus' are a frikin pain in he arse to find a great mechanic for. IT also lacks some torque compared to the american engine boats. The company has also gone under so I would shy away simply do to that,but again have no first hand knowledge on the performance.

The only Malibus I have ever skied and boarded behind is a Response LXI and a Respone. Butter ski wakes. Small small boaring wakes.

GOD LUCK ON THE SEARCH :-) HEHEHEHEH a million ways to go. Are you guys looking to run a course? That would have a huge effect on which way to lean. Nothing tracks better than a d-drive.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-17-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
DOH! forgot to add my final comment. If you are not lanning on running a course and shortline I think you would find much better use from a v-drive. Just my.02. However if you guys are serious skiers in a course hands down D-drive
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-18-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
Wow swatguy, great post! Thanks for all the information...
Yes we do run a course at my lake... I wouldn't say I'm that great at it but I can usually get most of the buoys at 20 off. Dad skis the course too, however I don't think either of us are good enough to notice a tracking difference...!
So it looks like the Mobius V or DD might be the way to go. I looked at the Mobius LS (DD) today, was in great shape actually. I think I would prefer the V just for entertainment sake (and it is always nice to have some boat bun on the "tanning deck").
What sort of price range would you say is fair, in this market, for a good condition 2004-2006 Mobius LSV?
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-25-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
Just wanna say a big THANK YOU to the great people on this forum who helped me out through this decision. We have settled on a 2005 Moomba Mobius LSV with 34 hours on it... it's getting fluids changed and everything else, picking it up May 2.

THANKS AGAIN!

Dustin
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-25-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
Standard Boats -- Brand new, direct drive 29k

Its brand new, hard to beat that.... then again the wake maybe awful
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-25-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
Enjoy the great boat

Throw up some pics
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-25-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
I'll have some shots up after next weekend ... we have a bit of driving to do first!