Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
My wife and I are flying out to Reno this week to look for a place to live as well as her job interview. Provided she gets the job we will be moving out around May. Any advice on the area, where to look to live, lakes to ride, would help a lot. Her company has a realtor showing us around on Monday so I would like to have a little info for that.

Also if you know of any nice golf courses in the area as well as anything to do. Thanks for any help.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-31-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Personally I wouldn't live in Reno. So my advice...Don't do it! Now with that said, I would live towards the Tahoe side probably, but I do not know my way around the area very well. There are some lakes around, but right now they are probably a little too cold. Snow is pretty good though! Bring your snowboard.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-31-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
My only advice: don't wakesurf in Boca. Ha, ha, ha

I don't know Reno that well in terms of places to live, but there are a bunch of decent lakes nearby. Talk to the guys in tahoe if you're looking for people to ride with. Cool crew up there.

There are a bunch of golf courses. Take your pick. You can also go up the hill to Tahoe in summer time and get as many golf courses as you could wish for. Should be about a 30 minute drive if you stay on the Tahoe side of Reno.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
We are both leaning towards the Tahoe side for living.
Thanks for the help guys. I'll hit up the crew in Tahoe if we move.
Old    sperbet            03-31-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
Reno gets a pretty bad rap. The downtown area is obviously pretty trashy, however, there are a lot of nice neighborhoods on the outskirts. In addition, it's 30 minutes from Tahoe. I'd take Reno over Sacramento any day of the week. It really has a ton to offer, skiing, moto, wake, hiking, etc. Not too sure about golf courses down there, but as Evan said, there are a TON in Tahoe. Take a look around the Robb Dr area. It's more of a suburban family neigborhood and about 25 minutes from Truckee. The South side (Galena area I think) is also really, really close to Mt Rose and has some super nice neighborhoods as well. Oh, and Evan already covered the most important part, don't wakesurf on Boca, EVER...
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
I have family that lives back off the Mount Rose hiway. Very nice homes for a good price. I know a very cool/good realator there too if you want. It seems like a decent place to live if you stay away from gambling and there is the tax benefit.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-31-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
If I lived in Reno,I'd definetly have a dirtbike.

*pencils in Boca for the wakesurf tour*
Old     (juiced4ever)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-31-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
A bunch of guys I work with here in Truckee live in Reno. From what I have seen and everyone I have talked to out there stay in the Northwest Reno area. Lots of newer subdivisions with all the amenities you could want. And depending on how far down 80 you are, your within 30 mins to the nearest lake. I also hear Spanish springs, north of Sparks is really nice, but its kind of a haul to get anywhere. Good luck with the job and the move.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
Sparks is the town she will be working in, and I can work from home. She drives 45 min to 1hour to work now. How far is Incline Village area from Sparks/Reno?

So wakesurfing in Boca is a must do, check.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
Sparks is great and probably a better location to live while in the Reno area.

I thing you don't want to do is be on Pyramid Lake when the wind comes through.... There's been a few boat sinkings.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-31-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
For some additonal insight on Reno, I would highly recommend a funny yet hardly watched television show called Reno 911. For someone that has never been to Reno, it is very accurate. lol

Sorry, I recognize this is not helpful, but I love the show.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       03-31-2010, 4:32 PM Reply   
Everytime I watch Reno 911 there is always Tall Palm trees in the background. Not very realistic. It's my 18 year olds favorite show. That show is halarious.

On a side note I've been to many Hot August Night cruises in Reno. Last few years the gangs have tried to disrupt things and they've moved main cruise to Sparks. Pretty sad.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-01-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
I've seen a bunch of boats sink in Boca because of mystery Rogue waves. I'm not sure where they come from, but you're best to keep your boat evenly weighted there. I'm just trying to help ya out. Dangerous place, for sure.

Incline is a bit of a drive. Probably abour 40-45 minutes, eh?
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-01-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
Reno is a great place to live. Outskirts of Reno have some nice homes and neighborhoods. As far as lakes go, there's Tahoe of course. Donner, boca/stampede, pyramid, lahontan, topaz. We have all four seasons here, so the snow can be brutal at times, yet equally as enjoyable if your into snowboarding/skiing etc.. Dirtbiking/atvs are pretty common around here, but because BLM riding areas are disappearing. Sand mountain is close too. Tons of golf in the area. The thunder canyon course in washoe valley is my favorite. And of course we have events like hot august nights and street vibrations.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-02-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
Thanks for all of your help guys. We fly in Sunday and back out Tuesday. So we don't have a whole lot of time to look, but provided she gets the job we will be back for a longer period to search.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-15-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
So it looks like my wife was offered the position and we will be moving out to the Reno/Sparks area in the next 4-6 weeks.
Does anyone know of some boat storage places on Lake Tahoe? We are going to be back out for 7 days to look for houses early May and would love to get this taken care of too. Thanks for any help, and I'm looking forward to riding with some new people.
Old    sperbet            04-15-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Why Lake Tahoe? It's real expensive to store on or near the lake. Riding sucks there as well, unless you're on the water around 6-7 during the weekdays.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-15-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
I was looking for a place I could store it on a lake. This is a stupid question but are the other lakes large enough that they have this as well?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-15-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
My ex gf lived in the Northwest part of town. Its a nicer community but the amount of REO homes is through the roof. I would suggest looking out there i'm sure your money can get you a real nice place. If you can swing near Tahoe that would be ideal in my opinion.
Old    sperbet            04-15-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meert View Post
I was looking for a place I could store it on a lake. This is a stupid question but are the other lakes large enough that they have this as well?
Not that I know of, but I am unfamiliar with Pyramid and Lahontan both of which are close to Reno/Sparks. You should also be aware that keeping a boat on a buoy on Tahoe can be sketchy. Lots do it, but occasionally you get those Lake Wind Advisories. Crazy winds, crazy chop. It's not uncommon to see capsized boats on Tahoe after a night of severe winds. Just an fyi basically. I'd never keep my boat on a buoy on Tahoe unless I lived right near the lake and could get it out on a moments notice.
Old     (Meert)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-16-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
I ment dry storage on a lake, sorry for the confusion.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-16-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
definitely dry storage on the east shore of the lake (homewood area). Can't speak to incline side. Incline Village is sorta snooty in the sense that they keep everything on lockdown for IV residents. Not to mention expensive.

Tahoe is a BEAUTIFUL lake, but (IMHO and all that) you'd be doing yourself a disservice by going to tahoe exclusively. Lake is at 6000' which means it's freakin' cold. Only warm months are July and August, and the water never gets warm. From Reno you can hit Bullards in 2 hours. Pyramid gets a bad rap (it's alkali, so you need to flush afterwards), but it can be really nice because nobody is there (it's huge). If your wife is working in Sparks anyway, living in Spanish Springs could put Pyramid 20 minutes away. Lahontan in the springtime. Shasta is 4 hours north... an easy weekend trip. Frenchmans, Topaz, Boca, Stampede, Almanor... all within 2 hours or less.