Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    windnwake            09-08-2003, 9:32 PM Reply   
Is it legal to tow a wakeskater behind a car driving along shore. Or any good suggestions on where to do this in San Diego.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-08-2003, 10:12 PM Reply   
about the only place you could do this would be on fiesta island. I can't think of any laws that would make it illegal but I think you'd need a pretty long rope and a good driver, not to mention 4 wheel drive.

Are you doing this for fun, or don't you access to a boat?
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-08-2003, 10:28 PM Reply   
The key will to be find a location that doesn't draw attention. Years ago(circa 1972-78) some friends use to pull their surfboards on canals down in Imperial Valley. They use to be able to tow for miles before turning around. It's amazing what you'll try after downing a few cases of liquid courage. Fortunately, no one ever got hurt and everyone had great stories to tell about falling and drifting in the current for awhile before the truck driver could get back to them.

I don't know if its still possible to do that down there anymore. I suspect a few resourceful individuals still partake in some fashion. Would love to see their pics if they read this.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2003, 10:57 PM Reply   
Umm It is illegal to do that. Just if your gonna do it go someplace where your don't draw attetion.
Old     (oldmansteck)      Join Date: May 2002       09-08-2003, 11:06 PM Reply   
Umm I did it at my friends house in Encinitas. He had a pond in his back yard. Here is a link to the video we made for it.http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=5229Other than knowing someone or going to fiesta island I can't really think of anyplace besides the channel at elsinore if you could get in there. Hope you can figure something out and show us the pics.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-09-2003, 1:10 AM Reply   
Ryan, what law would he be breaking?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-09-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
stupidity law CA 06niner10-4over
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-09-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
We did it at Fiesta and almost broke my car.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
Pismo Beach up North, not sure if it's legal but you would have the added bonus of waves to jump.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-09-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
Depends on what kind of car it is. I heard that the wake behind the Hondas and Nissans really sucks. If you use the factor ballast on the 02 Suburban, put 150lbs. of lead under the 2nd row seats, 2 fatsacks in the back, and put another fatsack in the passenger seat, the wake is really sick! Just watch out for rollers coming over the bow, and the Coast Guard (make sure you have floatation devices for all passengers, and don't forget the red flag).
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-09-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
ROFLMAO
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-09-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
When I tried to wakeboard in Iraq we were going to tie the rope to the 7-ton truck in the picture and drive along the shoreline. But, as most of you know, we thought better about getting into the water - and my wife is much happier that I did not. haha (this would be a good time to ask for a clipart of a relaxed face smoking a cigarette).
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-09-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
Any time you use a car, cops say you could potentially hurt the rider. They will charge you with wreckless driving. 6 points on your liscense. I have seen it happen.
Old    windnwake            09-09-2003, 6:39 PM Reply   
I have a 4 wheel drive truck, so off-road is not a problem. The main reason for doing this is so I can set up a slider or something because you can't exactly put a slider in the middle of Mission Bay.
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-09-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
i tow my buddy through mud holes on a skate behind my jeep... he was doin surface 5s and cuttin around, then he hit a patch of grass and went flying, but it sure was funny.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-09-2003, 7:20 PM Reply   
Kevin, some of my friends ride the course on Fiesta Island and have some sliders. I could probably hook you up with a pull. Or you could head out to the river and build sliders, or hit the ones that are already there.
Old     (yeaitsmemarc)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-09-2003, 7:51 PM Reply   
It's illegal, but only if you get caught... Me and my friends tow each other on snowboards and skis through the streets on snow days.. We got stopped once, and the cop told us he could write us a bunch of tickets, he said there was a law that said you cant tow anyone behind a car... I'm not sure of the exact legislation and laws but, they'll try to nail you
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-09-2003, 8:31 PM Reply   
Sorry guys, it's illegal. Dont wory about the Careless Driving ticket. It's considered Reckless Endangerment(at least in Colorado).
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2003, 8:24 AM Reply   
I think it is funny you can tow someone behind a boat over water, but not someone behind a car over water. Not only is it illegal from what everyone says here, but it is a pretty serious offense.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-10-2003, 2:28 PM Reply   
Well there 2 laws agaist it that I know of. Theres ones in the California Drivers law and there one in the Coast Guard Rules of Regulation or something like that.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-10-2003, 4:23 PM Reply   
We would do it in the rain with a truckless skateboard in Vegas in my friends neighborhood. We never got caught, but knowing how the cops are there I'm sure the would have slapped us with something