Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (fontain06)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-08-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
hey all.

im a student at georgia tech and a member of the wakeboarding club there. right now, our wakeboard boat is a tige 20V, but we are thinking about making the switch to a supra (mainly because of the price, but also the tige dealer is really hard to work with)

anyway, how do the two brands compare? thanks alot!
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-08-2007, 3:45 PM Reply   
id go correct craft..if not go supra..very nice boats indeed, better than a tige from my personal expierence..
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-08-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
Ryan,
what is your personal experience? Just curious, it might just be the info that Nick is asking for.

Nick, Tige makes a great product and works hard at standing behind their boats. If you are having issues with the dealer, I would say, first, contact the Tige Rep for that dealer. If the dealer wont give you his name and number, contact Tony at Tige. Sorry, cant remember his last name, but he is the National Sales Rep. Also you can ask for Andrew Rayes, he is the head of the warranty dept.

Tige Boats 1-325-676-8570

There is also a fantastic Tige dealer in Greenewood SC, Gunnells Marine. Guen and Barney are great people.

Good luck in your search.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-09-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Nick if price is a concern tige designed a boat just for that. the new Z1. depending on how you order it you can get one bear bone stock at around 39,995 or fully loaded around 54,000. its a 21 foot v drive, 100in beam. thats the boat that i will be going with for 08. if you end up calling tige to get you some help with your dealer i probably wouldn't call and talk to Andrew. somedays he's not exactly the happiest person hahahaha. Tony's a great guy and would probably be more than happy to call your dealer and try to get you some more help.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Good call Ryan L. I didn't even think about the Z1 as a price point. Cant wait till our dealer get one in.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-09-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
whats my personal expierence..try to make this short..plain and simple compared to even a supra they are less quality and in my opinion junk..cheap for a reason..you get what you pay for..points are that the 2 tige boats on out lake they rattle vibrate like a son of a bit@h..the fit and quality is lacking..the threads on the seat cushions are falling apart..again quality issue..the fitting of evrything is sub par..vinyl appears to be thin, numerous nicks and tears..this is coming from my view and the owners..they even stated they will never ever buy a tige again..go with supra...tiges are like a moomba very cheap..if price is an issue, maybe you should look at buying a quality used mastercraft or a nautique..you would be happier in the long run..REMEMBER RESALE RESALE RESALE....good luck
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-09-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
Ryan i laughed the whole time i read that. cheap ummmmmm i must be blind then. what years were those 2 tiges because since 06 tige steped it up a whole bunch. in 08 they are using a different vinyl, its the same stuff that malibu uses. and if you leave your boat out in the sun with the cover off the threads will fall apart on any boat.
Old     (jansen)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-09-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
I'VE OWNED 2 TIGE'S AND HAD NO QUALITY ISSUES. IF YOU TAKE CARE OF YOU BOAT( OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER) IT WILL LAST LONGER. I'M CURRENTLY LOOKING AT THE SUPRA 21V.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
Ryan A, I can say that the 2 boats that you describe, are by no means the norm for Tige with what Ive seen. I could see any boat out there have those kind of issues. Especially those with out a walk-through transom. The sun pad and seat will take a lot of abuse from riders walking in and out, on any boat. Ive spent a lot of time on a handful of Tiges over the past couple of years: 97 2150 DD, 01 21V limited, 99 21i, 05 22V, and 2 05 24V's, plus my 06 with near 200hr.

That's a pretty good spread as well as from diff parts of the US, and none of these show the kind of problems you describe, but I'm sure there are some out there that do. No boat is "perfect" and any one looking for that will find nothing but disappointment IMHO.

If "you get what you pay for" then you are saying Supras are "cheap" too. In your post, you kinda give Supra a Back handed complement.

A friend has an 02 Wakesetter with less hours then mine. Kept on covered lift, stored with cover for off season, but it is really showing its age. Trap door on swim platform has not worked from day one, wedge sticks and is real hard to get latched and unlatched, carpet has some wear, center ballast leaks.

Boat was priced about 20k more than a comparable Tige when new, but dont know where it is now. Do I think that every Malibu is built this way....no. I bet most are in better shape, and some in not so better.

I also ski behind an 89 Supra and that boat is sweet and holding together great. Supra was on our short list but liked the ride and features of the Tige better.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-09-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
I have a cousin that has a friend that has a nephew that once rode in a tube behind a supra and saw a tige on the lake and in his expert opinion the wake sucked!

Nice PERSONAL opinionated experience there ryan andrews. Not exactly what the guy was asking for. As far as resell goes, I would put my 10 year old Tige' on the market for 16k and it would sell. They hold value as well as any other.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-09-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
My 2 cents, if you are looking for great customer servichttp://www.atlantamarine.com/custompage3.asp?pg=awardse, I can say that along with Atlanta marine being Skiers Choice # 1 selling dealer they are also tops in CSI. They will take care of you way after the initial sale.Great boat,great service..Supra and Atlanta Marine!
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       12-10-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Not to add fuel to the fire, but when I was boat shopping I was continually unipressed with the fit and finish of Tige boats. Maybe I just saw a few bad apples, but it seemed like all the seats were coming apart on them after only a few years and low hours.

I'm sure they are still great boats, but I just didn't want to deal with the interior problems. The few Supras I looked at were a couple years newer and didn't have any major interior problems, but again, that could be just because they were slightly newer.

Just my opinion, but I ended up going with a Nautique.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-10-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Seams on them do rip. I don't know of any boat that doesn't. I still can't understand why manufacturers continue to put seams in seats that are stepped on. All it does is create a problem spot. I had all my seating seams removed when my upholstery was redone.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       12-10-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
Steve fixing the problem of seams ripping is a easy one. I had it done to the new skins on my Sanger. When the upholstery guy was putting on the skins he added a small piece of elastic to give the seam some stretch. That takes all the stress off the stitching at the fabric.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-10-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
ryan andrews , he who has a 94 CC shouldnt be calling any newer Tige cheap.

All boats have problems. Get the one with the best dealer. That should be at least 75% of your final decision.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-11-2007, 1:58 AM Reply   
Go Supra. Better boat and better wake in my opinion.

When I finally bought my boat 2 years ago, I had 5 years of research, experience, and observations under my belt. In my opinion, Supra just has the better boat overall.

Less marketing junk with Supra, too. Tige throws around more smoke than just about anyone (except Malibu), and I have always had high expectations that have been let down. They've got some great ideas, but I feel like they don't execute fully, don't really tell the customer the whole truth, and don't build to the standard they erect for themselves. Based on their business approach alone, I've veered away from Tige.

TigeMike and Lancefield are both Tige owners (appears they may work for them as well), and while they may be experienced, I'd say weigh their opinions less heavily than those who own neither a Supra or a Tige.

I don't want you to end up experiencing the same disappointment a few of my friends experienced when they chose Tige.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-11-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
Supra has a better dealer, Atlanta Marine. They are good people, I would buy from them again without hesitation.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-11-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
There is no other kind of post on this site that will raise the dander with people than comparing boat VS boat. What I really can't stand is when someone asks a question about one manufacturer VS another and the next few posts come from people suggesting a completely different manufacturer- WTF?!?! If they wanted your "expert" opinion about another boat -then they would have asked for it. Yes I own a Tige- BUT I also board with a good buddy who owns a Supra 22SSV ('07) and that boat is AWESOME. I would pick either one- based primarily on the dealer in the area. We moved to Minneapolis from Seattle. The Tige Dealer in Seattle was good and I wouldn't hesitate in buying another Tige from him if I were still there. However, the Tige dealer in the cities is horrible- they have only had the line for a couple of years and really don't know the boat. I will most likely look very hard at Supras if/when I decide to replace my ride- which I am not planning on doing right now because it's a terrific boat and it's paid for- HA!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       12-11-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
will5150 - yup. VS threads generally bring the worst out in everyone. There are very, very very few people who can make these sorts of calls and give educated, informed advice.

That said...

...just kidding. I am not even going to say a word. All I ever want people to keep in mind - always - is the option of buying top quality brands - *used*, which so often gets missed in these and other threads. Even if it was a Malibu vs Malibu thread or a Correct Craft vs Correct Craft one, I'd still say, - "...did you research the used boats in your area?"

(Message edited by juniorhawk on December 11, 2007)
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-11-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
With the Supra not only do you get a boat equipped with Tige's taps system but you get a boat equipped with ballast. I have a 22ss (previously had a BU VLX) and I am very happy with the Supra Line.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-11-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Anoydne- yes i am a tige owner and my parents own a boat dealership that sales tiges. if you read my first post i never stated go buy a tige not a supra. i just put out some info that could be useful to him. here at our dealership we're sold pretty much every brand of tow boat besides CC, MC, and supra/moomba in our 68 years in business we have now stuck with tige because we believe that its one of the better built boats out there. just like everyone else out there that have had bad experiences with boats i've had mine with a good friends supra. He bought it in June of 05 and from June till the end of september that thing was in the shop about twice a month. after everything got fixed the next summer it was a great boat. i think they had a minor over heating problem but thats not a big deal. all boats have their the problems its just all about how you take care of your boat. if you abuse it your going to have more problems. if you take care of it like i have with my past 3 boats you'll almost never have anything go wrong with them. i'm not saying thats just for tige's thats with any boat.
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-11-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
After reading all of these posts, I would like to add and reemphasize a couple of points:
1. Buy the boat that meets your needs best. You should evaluate both boats pros/cons and determine which one is the best for your needs and budget constraints.
2. Buy from a good dealer that will take care of any issues that you may have after your investment. It sounds like the Supra dealer is better in your area. Make sure that is true.

I started with a Tige 22V and now own a Nautique 220. Overall, I like the Nautique better, but there are some things I miss about the Tige. I have two friends who own Supras (both 21V) and another friend who owns an older Tige (21V). Here are my thoughts comparing the Tiges I've been in with the Supras I've been in:

Fit and Finish: Supra by a small margin
Engine: Tige (seem to have more options)
Handling: Tige (rough water ride is outstanding and IMO it drives better than the Supra)
Tower: Supras tower is hard to beat...one of the best in the industry IMO.
Stock Wakeboarding Wake: Supra (disclaimer: my buddies Tige weighted with approx. 1800 lbs. is just as good if not better)
Wake Surfing Wake (properly weighted): Tige

I hope this gives you some valuable information for your decision.

FYI leonard araujo....Supra does not come equipped with Tige's taps. A little research on your part should inform you that taps isn't solely the wake plate.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-11-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
Leonard,

Tige also comes with ballast, it's called an Option, as in dont have to pay for it if you dont want it.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-11-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Nick,

Go with the best dealer hands down. The experience will be better. If the Supra dealer is great, get a Supra.

We used to have a Tige Switch V (basically the 20V) and in my opinion the wake was lacking. We sacked it out with 2100 lbs and it just never was great. The family grew and we went to the Tige 24ve, the wake is better, the surfwake is incredible.

Our Tige's haven't had many problems.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-11-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
anodyne,

I have yet to give any comparison between a Tige and a Supra. My first post was some info that may help Nick solve his current dealer problem. My 2nd post was to address an unwarranted, but typical, stab at Tige by someone who is condemning the entire Tige line based on the 2 Tiges he has seen. Of these, we do not know the age, hours, or how the owners maintain them. This is the kind of opinionated info that Nick should stay away from.

Looking back on your post, it contains nothing but opinions. No comparative date at all. Although you let us all know your dislike for Tige, you to, did not give Nick anything to use.

Oh, yeah, I do not work for Tige, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I do have an outstanding Tige dealer with whom I have a great relationship with. I will but another Tige because of Tige and my dealer.
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-11-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
TigeMike- if its an option then it doesnt come with it, that means its something you pay extra for. in this case something that comes standard on most other wake boats.
I always laugh at boat vs boat threads because the majority of people cant put their pride aside and give an unbiased opinion. They only see one view and whatever boat they have must be the absolute best. ^
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-11-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Chris,

This is what we call "split'n hairs" You are trying real hard to make a mound out of a mole hill.

So basically, you are saying that Supra offers NO options at all, so a perspective buyer gets a "take it or leave it" deal and has no flexibility in putting together a boat that fits thier needs? Talk about paying extra.

Lets ask it a different way: If Supra does offer options, like Tige and others, then based on your comments, a base model Supra costs the same as a fully loaded Supra. Again, talk about paying extra.
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-11-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
Mike- LOLyou win. tiges are gods gift to wakeboarding.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-11-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
Tiges suck!!! just playing... but I thought it was funny. I personally don't like the look of Tiges(exception of RZ2 and 4), don't like that they don't come with ballast, have never liked their towers EVER, and I don't like the interiors. BUT... that's just me and everyone has their own tastes. I love Supras through and through, and I've never seen a bad wake come out from behind one.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-11-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
No, just fending off the wolves that feel a need to "kill or be killed" If you read back through the post, you will see that all the brand bashing was done by non-tige owners.

Is Tige the best.......never hear it from my mouth. Does Tige make a great boat....yes. Does Tige stand behind thier product....I believe so. Does Tige have all the best dealers.......no. Is Tige better then Supra...........that's up to Nick to decide which boat it best for him.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-11-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
^^^All tige owners are angels and never trash talk. LOL!!!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-11-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
Where does everyone get all this incorrect info about Tige????? Have none of you ever bought a car that had something you wanted as an option??? ever had a house built that had the "finished bonus room above the garage" as an option???

You'll must be buying Kia's and mobile homes if you dont understand the concept of options

Maybe you guys are buying from the wrong dealers and they wont let you order what you want but make you choose from what the dealer thinks you like?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-11-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
nu bu,

sorry, based on what I've read of your posts in the past, you dont warrant a response.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-11-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-11-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
Mike- just stop you arent changing any minds
Old     (zad0030)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-11-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
I know someone who owns a Supra. He has mold growing underneath the upholstry. He talked to the dealer about it and they told him its a common problem and there is nothing they can do.

I own a Tige. Its a great boat, very versatile. Yeah, I had some problems but they were either my own fault or a chain reaction from one accident to the next.

All boats have problems. Some boats have more problems than others. My Tige is a 2003 and is in great shape becuase I take care of it. If you dont put gas in your boat it wont run, If you dont take care of your boat it wont stay in good condition. Have you ever talked to another boat owner and asked how their boat looks so nice, and they replied, "Oh I havn't done anything to it all the time I owned it." No, they will answer, "yeah once I get it out of the water I wipe it down with some water spot remover and I wax it atleast twice a year. Usually I wipe down the seats after every outing as well."

Also, give Mike a break! Nick asked a question about which boat he should consider buying. And most of the answers were negative towards Tige. Mike came in here answered honestly, put up with all the BS, and was trying to help. He didn't say anything negative towards Supra or any other brand.

(Message edited by zad0030 on December 11, 2007)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-11-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
"I know someone who owns a Supra. He has mold growing underneath the upholstry"
Sounds like he put the seats in with moisture inside still and covered it... that'll happen with any boat! Is that seriously the best Supra flaw you can come up with?
Old     (zad0030)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-11-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
"Is that seriously the best Supra flaw you can come up with?"

I never said Supras were bad boats. I stated a problem that someone I knew had.

So whats the best Tige flaw you can come up with?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-11-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
I don't play this game I gave my piece on what I dislike about Tiges up a few posts... thats me bashing a company... not too bad I just call it how I see it. MOLD is just that MOLD Supras don't get moldy for no reason they get moldy like any other boat because moisture was trapped inside them. All I'm saying John is that, "I know someone who owns a Supra. He has mold growing underneath the upholstry" was a stupid and pointless thing to add to this thread. Also... you said, "Also, give Mike a break! Nick asked a question about which boat he should consider buying. And most of the answers were negative towards Tige. Mike came in here answered honestly, put up with all the BS, and was trying to help. }He didn't say anything negative towards Supra or any other brand.
Thats right YOU DID
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-11-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
Nick do yourself a favor demo each boat. These forums are a waste of time when picking out a boat. Honestly, all the manufacturers are trying to make the boats better than previous years, the competition is getting tougher. That being said, take whoever is responsible for the purchase to look at the boats and dealer with a clean sheet then figure out which boat and dealer is going to work the best for YOUR club. Believe it or not how your college will use the boat may be different than how I or someone else is going to use a boat.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-13-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
Ewing is right - demo each boat. All you're going to get on here is bashing each boat. I was at this same point last year, Supra vs Tige. I loved both boats from the pictures I saw. I went and checked them each out, did some research, checked them out some more, took people with me, etc. I literally spent hours at the dealership.

My main deciding factor was the dealer followed 2nd by the interior layout. The more I sat in the Supra, the more I liked the Tige layout better. This was a huge purchase for me and my family (only our house cost more) and I didn't want to make a decision that I would regret so I put a lot of time into the research. Our dealer, WWS in Denver, is outstanding and when I finally signed the papers I knew that I would have no regrets if something needed to be fixed on the boat. I still see Supra's and think what a nice looking boat, but don't regret buying my RZ2.

(Message edited by timmyb on December 13, 2007)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-13-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Nice boat Timmy.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-13-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
I think your dealer is going to be a very important part of your purchase. If this boat is not owned by an individual, but a 'club' then I would worry that dealer support for everything that breaks will be important. If my dealer went to Supra, I would definitely consider moving to one as well.

My biggest beef with the new supras is that the way the driver's seat is wedged in, a person of much size is going to find it very difficult to get in and out of the driver's seat. I knew I wanted a Tige the first time I sat in the seat and stretched my legs all the way out, something I have never, ever done in any automobile I have owned.

As has been said above, you will find if things like that are important to you when you demo the boats. Just as important as checking the boats out, it gives an opportunity to see how you hit it off with the dealer...maybe the Tige dealer will come around and treat you better, or maybe you will see why they have not been responsive to your needs.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-13-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
I just noticed Nick dropped the question and then has not made any more responses...
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-02-2008, 12:27 AM Reply   
well i am in this situation at the moment. i currently own a 2002 tige 22i. i do like our boat but it is getting some hours on it and i am ready for a newer one. i am debating between a 04-06 22ssvgg and a 05-06 22v or 22ve. i realy like the look of the supra a little better and the wake that they put out is sick but what is holding me back is how my tige handle the rough stuff. my boat currently does have some minor tears and seams comming undone in the seats but i bought it that way. its been a great boat but we have to run 1500 lbs of fat sacs to get a killer wake. well not a prob ill just get a tige with a ballast system..... the down fall is that the ballast in the tiges arent the same. they take up alot of room. but i will prob stick with tige due to the fact that the two dealers around here are realy good. Texas Tige in Spring, tx has just gone above and beyond for me so far and that has pretty much sealed the deal for me. dealership customer service makes life easier when there is a problem which wil eventually happen with any boat. they are all good and have their pros and cons. the only thing that makes one boat better than the other is the owner preference. doesnt mean the others are bad. you can do pretty much the same thing behind a blue wave bay boat as you can behind a mc...lol as far as longgivity goes i realy dont know people who keep boats more than 5 years or so rather than a few people at least from my experience so i cant comment on that. buy what makes you happy and have fun.!!! see ya on the lake, later
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-02-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Big Will, you know we will take good care of you!!!! You let me know when you are ready to take the Z1 out and show you what a well weighted Tige Z1 is capable of.

P.S If you like the solidness of your '02 22i, you should feel the '04-'08s, you'll KICK rocks at that Supra!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-02-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
At our local INT events, we have promo boats from supra, and tige.

A tige touched the water at the first event, and then never again. The riders all complained on the dock about the wake, and rightfully so. I hated the wake behind the RZ2, and found it relitivly soft, and lacking the boot that i had become so accustomed too behind the Supras.

You Cannot go wrong with supra at all.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-02-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
Caleb supra does have a very well wake that i do enjoy to board on but saying that the RZ2 has a soft wake is far from what it is. the one thing that you can always count on with the RZ line is the wake being nice and hard. i run a RZ2 with 2400lbs. the wake is always perfect. how much weight was your INT loading it up with.
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-03-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Caleb, I think the question here is, how much weight was in the Supra vs. how much weight was in the Tige? Supra is known to HAVE to load very heavy to get a good wake, do that, and you loose ALL handling. I have been in several brand NEW Supras and Moombas, NOT INPRESSED AT ALL. RZ2 wake soft?????? Weight the Tige properly, and I will put the RZ2 wake against any other boat. Period...
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-03-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
supra cuz tige says they dont need ballast and they dont have there own desings and plus supra's are bad a i hade one and it was sick
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-03-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
"supra cuz tige says they dont need ballast and they don't have there own designs and plus supra's are bad a i had one and it was sick

Supra's bow comes to a point, right? Did they Invent the pointy nose bow? Supra has Ballast, correct. Were they the first to use it in a Tow Boat? Supra's come with a tower, if I'm not mistaken, was this their idea first.

Can Supra lay claim to any of this, if not, then you post holds no water and has no bearing on this topic or Nick's original question.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-03-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Everyone says you can get a Tige with the ballast option, but it seems like one of Tiges' claim to fame is that you don't need ballast because of the TAPS system. If that is true why so much talk about how to weight it properly? Personally I like the Supra better, but I own neither.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-03-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
The RZ2 I was in was very fickle with weight...if you moved your foot around in the boat you can get the wake to wash. And their new springy seat...I almost pissed myself watching the driver almost get bounced out of the boat in rough chop. But no rattles...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-03-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
Eric,

TAPS does not create the wake, it simply shapes it and mellows it out in the full down position for skiing. Much like the CC with its Wake Gate, or what ever it's called. Same concept. The wake is produced by the "rocker" in the hull, much like many of the other boat manufactures are going to (so if Chase wants to talk about stealing ideas). There was/is a major misconception and misinformation concerning that statement. It is a half truth. A Tige does not need added ballast to produce a comparable wake to other boats that run added ballast. But this only goes so far. Any advanced rider or surfer knows that you will need ballast to go big. Too many dealers/sales staff, and non owners do not understand this and choose to attack what they dont know.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-03-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Sam, Attwood did have some issues with the seat base so Tige dropped is and went back to a fixed height pedestal
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-03-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
Thanks TigeMike,

I just bought a boat, I am a beginner, I have been a few times but not to experienced. I actually really liked the Tige, they were actually the first boat I ever looked at. I eventually looked at a total of 3 Tige dealers. I guess it would have been nice for one of them to come out and say that. I was surprised that all three push the no need for ballast idea. Just interested why the ballast is not a standard thing in Tige? I just think they would compete more for the first time buyer,like myself. I think the Supra is a great boat buy, especially for a first time buyer like myself, you get the bells and whistles, you get the ballast so you can have the added weight if you want to fill them, and the only other major difference was the tower on the 07 Supra stronger then the O7 Tige. I like the look of the Tige better. If I didn't go CC I was going Supra.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-03-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
Eric,

What's funny, is that the Convex Hull/TAPS is well described in the DVD that all the dealers give out at the boat shows. Any dealer that is not encouraging a buyer to get as many options as they can afford, is not a good sales men. Now I'm not talking about strong arming them into a fully loaded boat, but explain all the options and how it will effect resale and such.

I like the fact that Tige does offer stuff as an option. It allows the boat to fit so many more buyers and you're not paying for option/bling that you may not want. Tige only builds boats by purchase order. They dont mass-produce like the auto manufactures do. So it's either a dealer placing the order for his inventory, or a customer placing a custom order based on what he want: ballast, stereo, engine, hull colors. F/G or Teak swim platform, etc.

Supra was on our short list when we bought 2 yrs ago, so was Centurion. Didn't like the Centurion dealer, so they were out. We ended up liking the Tige better based on features such as the walk-through transom and transom activity center. We also bought off the showroom floor because the wife loved the colors.

Oh yeah, the dealer we bought from ordered it with out ballast because of ignorance. Tige pulled them 4 months later and we now have an awesome dealer.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-03-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
I would purchase from the dealer you feel most comfortable with (If you like the boats the same). A good dealer can help you in the future with any problems you might have. Take my word for it, shop the shop and not the boat.
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-03-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
ok it seems that nobody has really said much about the supra..and i have one..this is my opinion and im not goin to say anything about other boats...first of all i would like to say something about brandons comment about having to put a lot of ballst to get a good wake on the supra..i have the factory 1450lb ballst in an 07 22ssv and id have to say the wake is large and has a nice kick to it. also the newer supras have a interior design that you will either love or hate. i personally love it because it has many more rear facing seats. in my opinion i like that because when your out there, you wanna watch the riders. next i wanna say something about talltigeguys comment about being jammed in..it seems that he is a pretty tall guy lol but i myself am 6 foot and i can stretch out when drivin. a feature that i love about the supra is the drop down keel in the front. this really helps cuttin chop when needed to. the launch series of the supra has the play pin bow. you either love it or hate it. it allows for a nice pad for the ladies, and when the seats are raised you can get up front and feel like your not in the croud of people in the back. as handleing goes i cant say much..i have only driven my boat and my friends centurion avalanche (not sure what year). I like the handlein on mine better but to figure that out you would definantly have to go and drive each boat. i also love love love the z5 cargo rack. it gets the surfers out of the way. and its pretty styleish. another feature that i like is the walkthur stern. if you dont like people walkin on the seats this is great. just lift up starboard rear hatch and theres a platform to walk on to get to the swim platform. http://i17.tinypic.com/6s7eqvt.jpg this is me wit the factory 1450lb ballst wit 3 buddies in the boat 120lb-150lb
(Message edited by seminolepride991 on January 03, 2008)

(Message edited by seminolepride991 on January 03, 2008)
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-03-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
holy crap !!! that wake is huge... what model of supra do you have ? i haven't seen any tige 22v that produce a wake quite that big but i haven't seen a lot of them loaded down..
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-03-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
that would be an 07 22SSV wit the factory gravityIII ballast about 1450lbs
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-03-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Kameron,

Well put. Your post, and a couple of others, are the only ones that actually answer Nick's questions. Too many owners of brand C ripping on brand A or B and don't even get in the ballpark of the original question.

There are some awfully thick "owners goggles on here. That's not supposed to be a bad thing, but it seems to really get in the way. Everyone should be proud, and happy with thier boats, but if one has to set fire to the competition in order to feel that way, then something must be wrong. Do ya'll talk to your neighbours this way because they don't drive the same car as you? If you have to knock someone down a few rungs of the ladder, only to make yourself feel higher, then something is wrong.

Off my soap box.
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-03-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
i see your point...but thats not the case. im not tryin to "knock anybody down" ya i like my boat and im happy with it so i talked about the features that i like but in no way saying other boats are worse, supra has its differences and as i said you either love them or hate them. and on the other side, some problems i have had. Swivel racks pretty much suck but had an easy fix, put in pins to immobolize them. tower speakers suck lol and have had a few wakeplate issues that was an easy fix by puttin in a bigger breaker.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-03-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Kameron,

By no means was my post directed toward you at all. Sorry if it sounded that way. I found your post to be very objective by pointing out your likes and dis-likes by stating example instead of the usual blanket "brand X sucks"

This site needs more posts of that nature.
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-03-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
ahaha sorry...lol i was plannin on postin the defects anyways..also..factory ballast pumps take FOREVRRRR to fill. im prolly gunna upgrade them..but ya kno when ur wit friends, girls and music..time flys ahah
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-03-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
Sound like you had a similar deal with racks as us on the 06 Tiges. The WakeDesign made racks where breaking. All good now, they fixed the broken ones and made a design change.
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-03-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
roswell is workin on fixin the swivel function. after a few bumpy rides with boards on the rack the pins that held it from moving just got worn and boards would go swingin freely. now i just pull a pin out the side manually push the button and get the boards. i kidna like it better because before the racks had a little play in them now they are pretty solid
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-03-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
With all these posts I dont know what to say. I own an 06 22ve.(have accually owned two identical boats within three months long story)I live in Az and have a great dealer and would say go with the dealer because they along with the factory will make your buying good or bad.

William if you are looking at tiges early 06's had a different dash than the 07's make sure you look at both of those in your decision because it effects the tige speed set. I have the older one with no digital readout and wish that I had the newer design. Tige is just now starting to add ballast systems as an option which is nice. If you go with factory systems they have hard tanks that take up a lot of room emty or full. I would rather have a sack system so that I can have room if I want to go camping on the back side of a lake and want to carry all of the gear in one trip instaed of making two. I and my friends who own other brands have noticed with no wait the tige gets better fuel economy. I was able two go two days riding three times a day on one tank where my friend could only make one. I use ballast ussualy but had eye surgery last week and even though the doctor said dont do it I went riding anyways but was not planing on riding hard so I went with no ballast and could not resist trying an invert and have forgotten how well a stock tige will boot you up. With gas prices I think I will go stock and save a little money.

Quality all boats have there strengths and weekneses but I am happy with the tige. Being in the Az heat even a covered boat has vinal problems out here. other than my friends malibu which is garage kept I have not been on a boat one to two years old exspeacialy one used alot like mine that does not have seems ripping out (its a dry heat) but the Az sun is bad and when you are on the lake getting sunburnt so is your vinal.

Tige was very good to me went above and beyond even what I would have ever expected from a boat manufacturer. I dont think a car manufacturer would ever do what they did. I would like to tell my story but there are some posters on here that would turn it around to say I told you tiges suck.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-03-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
well i found an 06 22v loaded with ballast for 44,000 and i am realy considering it for sure. the 07s tend to get a bit pricey for since i am on a budget. i have found some 07 but once the turn into a ve, thats when they get a pit too high for me.. but i do like the new gauges. i am def interested in the z1 but haven seen many pics of the wake loaded down.

and back to the subject of tige vs supa. i like em both. i think supra has a little better wake but i think the tige handles a little better. i havent been in the boating world long so i realy cant make to many points on either of them other than i realy like my tige 22i now and its an 02 and from what i hear they only get better with the convex v hull which mine doesnt have..
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2008, 11:25 PM Reply   
this is kind of off topic but not really. i had read some stuff about ballast coming stock on some boats and not on others. i can't remember which company did the research but at the tige dealer meeting this year they had brought up the ballast being stock or not issue. the research they did was on if people were happy with their ballast systems or not. it went for all inboard boats combined. it was something like 55% of people with ballast weren't happy with it and would go without ballast on their next boat and 20% of the people that got no ballast on their boats would go with ballast on their next boat. the people that were in the 55% group all had major or on going problems with the ballast systems. tige doesn't have ballast as a standard option because of the people that really just hate or don't want ballast. it just makes a lot more sense to have it as an option. i'm one of the guys that will always order ballast on my boats and even tie in extra sacks into the stock system for ever.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-04-2008, 12:16 AM Reply   
Both boats where running full stock ballast at my INT.

the 21v and the 24ssv have an amazing wake even unweighted.

another thing about the tige i didnt like was as i was in it judging, i noticed that the slightest movement would affect the wake greatly. Thats something that bugs me about Tige's as well

(Message edited by dlwsrider on January 04, 2008)
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-04-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
William Have you been on the water in both the 22v and the 22ve. My friend has an 03 22v and they have not changed a whole lot but the 22ve just seems to out perform the v model. We were both up at powel together for a week so I was in both boats alot and the wake on the ve is just a little differant though none of my friends can figure out what is differant they like the ve wake better. Where do you live at I am kind of toying with the idea of selling my boat to buy an rz2. It is a very nice boat many options and the trailer it came with is unreal. For some of you who have been die hard tige fans it was pictured in the 06 sales cataloge. It is a deep maroon all the way on the bottom white on top with a tan stripe all pollished alumminum tower even the trailer fenders.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-04-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
David,

The Ve has a little more "rocker" in the hull then the V. A little more geared for boarding then the V.
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-04-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
Yes mike I know I was just telling my experience. I have read all the other comments but now that I reread my comment I meant that the v model from 03 until now has not changed much but there is definately a differance in the ve.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-04-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
I have competed, driven and judged at events for 5 years. Been behind lots of different brands of boats, driven lots of different boats and ridden in lots of different boats. I am sorry, but there is NOT that big of a difference in wakes in comparable boats with the exception of CC. The CC wake is huge & steep. Now I'm not saying that the wake one is not better than another. For sure that is the case. I have a Tige, I like the wake just fine, sometimes I use the ballast, but most of the time not. Any Wake boat with enough ballast in the right places is gonna make the wake big. If you want big all the time, great. Load it down. But I can tell you, what looks great @ 22 mph will not look so good @ 17. If you have kids or younger riders, this blows big time. So many times I have seen kids at a tournament get sucked up in that soft foam. The advantage (this doesn't mean better) of the TAPS system is that you can adjust the foam out. Wanna big fat killer wake go with CC.

2 other quick comments
1. Someone said something about "soft wake" or "hard wake". Dude, it's water. If it's foamy it's soft. if not, it's solid water.

2.Caleb said,"the slightest movement would affect the wake greatly." Tige is one the widest boats on the market. It is affected about the same as any other boat I've been in. Be sure & look at the Supra wake. http://i17.tinypic.com/6s7eqvt.jpg
Does that look like it is being affected?

BTW- Kameron your wake is awesome, just using it to show moving around in any boat will affect the wake.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-04-2008, 11:34 PM Reply   
well david i am in bryan, texas. and i would be interested? send me some info.

kana_william@hotmail.com
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-05-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
William What is your price range. I would nead to check for sure on what I owe but would be around 52,000 give or take not sure exactly what I owe
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-05-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
haha ya when we only have a few guys in the boat we cant balance it out that wel..but when we have a full boat its amazing
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-05-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
Greg,

I have to disagree with most of what you said.

"I am sorry, but there is NOT that big of a difference in wakes in comparable boats with the exception of CC"

Come on now. I personally feel a lot of boats wake shapes are significantly different. A X-star for instance is not alot like a Tige or Malibu. The X-star has a longer transition and people tend to leave early. A VLX wake has a shorter transition but is still nice and vert while the Tige wakes are similar to the Bu but generally more forgiving.

". Someone said something about "soft wake" or "hard wake". Dude, it's water. If it's foamy it's soft. if not, it's solid water."

I have been wakeboarding a while and can for sure tell a soft wake from a solid wake. Some wakes are just harder due to water displacement, the amount of air introduced to the wake off of the hull and prop, etc. A CC 210 to me is a very solid wake as well as the X-Star and VLX. Others I have ridden behind don't seem as solid.

Me personally, I have owned a Tige. I had it for 11 months. 3 of it were spent in the shop and it was eventually sent back to the plant in Abilene to be fixed. I sold it right after that. Too many problems.

I personally believe that wake boats should have and need ballast. What are considered the best wake boats in the industry (210/X-star/B-52 V23/VLX/etc. on and on) all come standard with ballast, plus it gives you room to grow...remember, you don't have to fill it. If you add the ballast to the tige as an option it will take up a majority of your storage space, especially in the rear lockers.

I personally would spring for the Supra. I have ridden in and behind only a few, but they always seem solid and well built, the wake was awesome and interior looked to be well put together.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-06-2008, 5:24 AM Reply   
Mike-

What I am trying to point out is that, I can easily adjust and do "my run" behind similar boats without much difficulty. Sure some are better or bigger than others but the "shape" is basically the same. Some are more rounded on top, giving a "softer" feel or more peaky giving a "harder" feel. I have a friend that has the 07 version of your boat " ( I imagine it's the exact same hull). The X Star has a fantastic wake, bigger than most. But I'll bet you have no troubles riding behind other boats. Or maybe you do, I don't know. My wake is about the middle of the pack as far as size, so a little bigger or a little smaller no big deal for me. But I guess if you are riding a boat that throws a big wake all the time, adjusting may be more of a stretch, or a "significant difference" as you say.