Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (riderborat)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-29-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Roughly two months ago I managed to get the line wrapped around my right binding whilst waiting for a deep water start. I realised and screamed at the driver to stop which he did. However while I was attemting to untangle my leg he punched the power (Nautique 210) and I was towed for approximately 20 metres upside down thinking I was about to drown! No sympathy was given after the incident and to add insult to my injury, the experienced driver/rider said " dude, you've had 3 weeks of this, imagine what my whole life's like." He then walked up the hill leaving me with my girlfriend and sister to hobble up to the car. Four days later I returned to the UK where after 2 days I went to the doctors as my leg really hurt. 3weeks later sfter a scan on my right leg, I have been diagnosed as having a hairline fracture on my lower Tibia and also messing up the Cartilage in my knee. I am never one to complain about things, period, but I'm really annoyed at the wakecamp in Europe where I sustained this injury. Luckily for me I have private medical insurance so recieved promnt attention in the UK, what if I hadn't?! Has anyone ever had a similar incident? I feel like I need to pursue this further, but I hate the whole " where there's blame, there's a claim"? Help.....
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-29-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
Yikes it was a Coach that did that to you? that is Crazy he should no better than that!
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Wow, I'd say that's negligent on the driver's part. Depends on where the school/camp is, if it's local, I'd talk to an attorney about it. If it's overseas, I'd chalk it up as lesson learned.

I don't know how an experienced driver would ever start a pull w/o checking the rider and making sure that the tow rope and the handle are out of the water and have some tension. If he had done that basic check, he would have been able to prevent your injury.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
If it went down like that, you should definitely pursue. He should know better than that, and shouldn't get paid to do anything related to wakeboarding, especially if his lifetime is filled with such pain.

Where was this?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-29-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
If it was at a wakeboard camp, I'm fairly sure that no liabiity waivers account for general stupidity on the drivers part... They count for you hurting yourself on landings and stuff...

There's one guy I know who was standing on the back of his jetski after wakeskating, and the driver thought it would be funny if he threw him off the back of the jetski by gassing it. They were all laughing until the kid realized that there was something on his ankle, then, thunk. The spectra coated line snapped tight and then broke after cutting down nice and deep through everything on his ankle except for his achilles tendon. permanent ankle bracelet. But he still has the foot.
Old     (georgeliddy)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-29-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
I'm not normally one for suing either, but there are exceptions... like this case.

Sue the bastard, at least since he was a jerk about it. He is obviously not competent at his job and should be removed from that capacity to prevent injury to others in the future. And you definitely deserve compensation for all the trouble you're going to go through, which was entirely his fault.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-30-2008, 1:26 AM Reply   
He has to get punished or it will just happen again to another unlucky person. Sue his ass, I don't know how you could be pulling someone and not check that the line is taught before you gas it.
Old     (riderborat)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-30-2008, 4:55 AM Reply   
It was at a well respected lake in Spain, in fact it was the fourth time I've been there. I'm gutted they've not even contacted me since to even ask how I was? That's probably annoyed me the most!!!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-30-2008, 5:13 AM Reply   
Alastair, I have a pretty good idea where you were. I have taken Nicola there about 4 times. I really hope the coach is not who I think it is.
PM me and I can try and help you. I won't spread it around as I am pretty sure I know where it is anyway. I know the main coach and the people that own it.

On a side issue Nicola had a hairline fractue of her lower tibia. Did the whole MRI thing and she was told to rest for 6-8 weeks. 3 1/2 months later and she is still having huge problems with it.