Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-18-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
fortunately they were wrong. And they didn't say anything about wakeboarding!

scott1
Scott2

7 years ago Scott broke his neck while playing around on a BMX bike. He was told that he would never walk again and is technically a quadriplegic. But fortunately he regained most of his mobility, but still has some paralysis on his left side. He learned to wakeboard this summer and is having a blast. This weekend he crossed both wakes, did a butterslide, and got up and rode switch. Just another example of someone overcoming adversity and focusing on what he CAN do.
Old    rdierolf            09-18-2003, 6:36 PM Reply   
reminds me of a neighbor who metally ill. they said he would never be able to walk now he can drive a car and has 2 kids
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-18-2003, 6:52 PM Reply   
that's great. nice to hear positive things like that
Old    fng03            09-18-2003, 6:53 PM Reply   
Bill - thanks for the great post...

I also learned to wakeboard this summer, and I know how difficult this can be to learn even for those with no physical impairments. While it may sound trite, Scott is really an inspiration.

Rock on, Scott!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-18-2003, 7:56 PM Reply   
That's crazy! I love stories like that...I still have hope for CC Roberts to stand up on a wakeboard again...I miss his old style.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            09-18-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
Right ON! what a great, inspiring story!!
Way to go Scott!
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-18-2003, 8:29 PM Reply   
The strength of Scotts determination should make us all feel lucky! WAY TO GO SCOTT!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-19-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
Awesome job scott!!!! A good lesson why you should never give up!
Old    upupnaway            09-19-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
I have to book mark this post and bring it up whenever someone tells me they can't learn something new.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2003, 2:10 PM Reply   
thats damn cool!!!
Old    mmj420            09-19-2003, 5:09 PM Reply   
that is killer !

last weekend there was a guy that could not use one arm and he was doing 180's and HUGE backrolls ....all with one arm braced to his body inside his vest....not trying to steal scott's thunder....just ANOTHER inspiring story !
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-13-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
this weekend Scott did a lot more wakeboarding and also learned to wakesurf. He wasn't able to throw the handle but still had a great time and I expect to see him surfing without the handle next time although the subtle balance required for wakesurfing is a real challenge for Scott.

Scott wakesurfing
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-13-2003, 4:01 PM Reply   
thats great ,not to sound totally in the dark but which scott is this??This is not scott from G&P is it??
Old    stinkey            10-13-2003, 4:20 PM Reply   
Rock on Scott!!
Old    wakechick            10-14-2003, 6:41 AM Reply   
I don't know which Scott it is, but it's not Scott Dickens from Glass and Powder. His accident was a snowboarding accident.
This is such an inspiring post though. I am going to forward a link to Scott Dickens.
Old     (gobigscott)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-14-2003, 7:19 AM Reply   
Scott, this is incredible! Coming from another paralysis victim (T7 paraplegic from a snowboarding accident), your story is VERY inspirational. Keep up the great work. Let me know when you need your next board, buddy. :-)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-14-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
Although Scott hasn't posted, he has read the posts and he really appreciates the feedback. Of course he doesn't think he's doing anything special. I'll have to post some pics of him riding his dirt bike, where he still goes big. Best of all he's also a really good guy.

In addition to learning to wakesurf this weekend, he also rode switch and did some surface 180's and caught a little air on the wakeboard. He's definitely stoked on the sport.
Old    tattoobling            10-15-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the inspiration Scott, I think everyone's day gets a little brighter when they get to hear a story like your's.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-15-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
How can the guy not get stoked riding your wake Bill??:-)