Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-21-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
I looked through the forum and couldn't find any sign that anyone had a G35, sorry if it has been discussed before.........

I sold my truck today and am scrambling for a daily driver. I am buying a car as I don't currently have anything to tow and want better gas mileage than the 16 I'm getting right now, though I am not that worried about it.

Originally I was going to buy an Acura TL which I am familiar with and have had before, but the G35s are growing on me. I'm looking at mainly '07s as I am tired of a huge payment. Anyone have a G35 and what are your thoughts if so? I am looking at the 35x sedan. The reviews are great, but I enjoy the feedback of those on this site in the real world.
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-21-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
I have an 07 G35. I thought about it for a while and can't come up with anything negative about it. I love mine. I don't like the cost of servicing or that I can't rotate my tires and they need to be replaced so fast but I knew that before buying it. I looked at the TL too and couldn't justify more money for less upgrades and less horsepower.
I get about 16-18 city and 22 highway, but i think I drive a little fast. If I keep it at 65 I am lucky to get 24mpg. They are fun to drive.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-21-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
I have an 03 sedan with the 6MT. I LOVE this car. Black on black, chrome factory 5 spokes and the aero kit. I have had it about 15 months and put on close to 25k in miles on it. I live in MN and I was thinking the RWD was going to be a pain in the winter, but a set of all season-esque performance tires do just fine. I was planning on doing snow tires, but I haven't felt I needed them.

I started by looking at BMW 3-series and in my price range I determined that I could not afford the maintenance required on one. I then looked at the TL as you are suggesting, even borrowed one belonging to a friend for a few days and that quickly ruled that out too. The TL felt cheap and tingy to me. The car felt like plastic and handled like it too. I then borrowed my friend's G35 for a few hours and had to have one. The car drives like a muscle car being RWD (I know you are looking at the 4wd) and feels very solid. The only thing that took a while getting used to is the clutch. The spring on it is VERY STRONG, I think I got a mild case of tendinitis driving home in rush hour the first few weeks. Now I am used to it and love it. I can't drive my GF Honda anymore because I don't "feel" the clutch as much.

The only major repairs I have had to deal with were tires, timing belt (at 100k), and a radio malfunction that effects the heating controls too.

Why are you looking at the X? The mileage is worse and they threw a front transfer case on a RWD designed car.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-21-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
Oh, I also avg about 22mpg and that includes my lead foot and sitting in rush hour at least an hour a day. 30mpg on straight shots to Chicago in 6th at 70-75.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
I had an 07 and loved it. Not a better car for the money anywhere. IMO, the TL isn't even in the league
Old     (rsanchez)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-22-2010, 6:09 AM Reply   
As long as you don't use the back seat you're fine. Like most coupes, there is literally no leg room in the rear. I had a 07 sport for a while and loved the car.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-22-2010, 6:20 AM Reply   
I was looking at the same two cars.... my roomie had a g35 coupe and after driving it for a few days when he went on vacation it beat out the TL for sure.

I ended up not buying it just because my options came down to a ~03 G35/350z or my brother's 2000 honda prelude.... the first two I would have had a payment, my brothers I picked up for $2000 and figured all it has to do is make me through college and then I could get a newer/nicer version on the G35 when I had a good steady income.

but from my week with one, I can say it is quite a nice car. I also think I may go with the G35x too, Wisconsin winters aren't fun
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
My wife had an 06 for about 1.5 years, very nice car, but IMO as a daily driver the gas mielage isn't that great. We avg less than 20 MPG. I had an 06 honda civic that I loved as my commuter car. My wife got a company car so it had to go.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-22-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
My dad has an 03 or 04 G35 coupe with the sport package or whatever it is called. It has the 6 speed, brembo brakes and navigation. I think it had slightly larger wheels than the standard coupe as well but those got jacked so he has 19's on it now I think. The car is fun to drive but I am not sure it is the best daily driver. The clutch is pretty stiff and you would get a nice little workout driving it in traffic everyday. Also the drivers seat is not that comfortable for a bigger dude. The seat controls are on the top of the seat instead of the side and it makes it kind of a narrow seat. They may have changed that by 07 though. He hasn't really had any problems other that one of the window control motors.

The car is really fun to be driving on the freeway at about 60 and then drop it straight into 3rd. You get up to 100 pretty damn fast.

I actually took it to the dealer for him a couple times and got to drive the loaner cars. They were always a G35 sedan with automatic and sport shifter. I would love to have one of those for a daily driver. They were very nice.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-22-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
We looked at them before getting our 2007 Maxima and then again before getting our 2010 Maxima. In 2007 the problem was the back seat was tight with a car seat in it. Then in 2010 I almost got one, but the lease deal Nissan was giving on the Maxima was to good to pass up. At the end of 39 months the lease payment will be less than most used cars.

One thing for sure is that you will love the 3.5 liter engine, I like it so well we now have our third one, about a month ago I picked up a 2007 Nissan 350Z. Talk about a fun car.
Not a great picture of the Maxima and the 350Z, but we just cleaned the garage out and got 3 cars in the 3 car garage.

Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-23-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
I see lots of meniton on the back seat of the G35. The back seat in the 2 door is small. The back seat in the 4 door are so spacious that they even recline. People shotgun the back-seat in my car for that exact reason.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-25-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
I went with the G35. Spent all of Wednesday across St. Louis trying to find someone that would deal a little. Most of the Infinity dealers are very proud of their "certified" cars. Didn't feel like paying for a warranty, so I finally found a mint '07. This thing is perfect inside and out and I couldn't be happier. Biggest car I have had so far, but it is fast. This thing has most of the options minus the reverse camera. The Navi, though the screen is small, is one of the better ones that I have used. To me the Acura model is a little better, but maybe I'll change my mind after awhile. Anyone know how much the upgrades are for the Navi. My street isn't even listed!
Attached Images

Last edited by kstateskier; 06-25-2010 at 6:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (rsanchez)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-26-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
eBay should have navi disks, if you can't find a good deal, pm me and I'll see if I can grab you one.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
Rob, I've heard only dealers can install these, any truth to that?
Old     (rsanchez)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-27-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
Rob, I've heard only dealers can install these, any truth to that?
No, that's bs. Do you know what software version you have now? You can find it on your nav system. Current I believe is 7.4, you likely have 7.2 or 7.3.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-02-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
Rob, my version just says 06-07 version when I bring up the info. I can't find anything on 7.2, etc.

Also, any idea if it is possible to get an iPhone to sync to the bluetooth system. I've heard it was only made for specific phones and so far I can't get it to sync.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-03-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
Found out how to sync the iPhone. Crazy what you can do with the manual!
Old     (rsanchez)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-03-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
Rob, my version just says 06-07 version when I bring up the info. I can't find anything on 7.2, etc.

Also, any idea if it is possible to get an iPhone to sync to the bluetooth system. I've heard it was only made for specific phones and so far I can't get it to sync.

Okay, let me do some digging for you on Tuesday when people are back to work .
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
I've had this car about a month now and just had a few questions with those that are familiar with them.

I get a surging when the car is cold at about 1500 rpm's. It only lasts for a few seconds and will go away if I get on the gas. My dealer said it has been a common issue with this transmission.

Also, when I go over a good bump on the interstate, etc. the cars seems to kick and sway more than the Acuras I have had in the past. Never seems like I'll lose control, but a little weird.

I love everything else about this car. Even with 65k on it, everything is still very tight. The Navigation system is awesome and I'm still finding features of it. Decided not to upgrade it yet, as I haven't really found a negative to the 3 year old version other than that my house is in the middle of nowhere!