Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-08-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
Back in April, I posted a little thread asking for tips on weight loss...
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/691331.html

"So, last year over Labor Day week a group of friends that I ride with bet me almost $500 that I couldn't lose a ton of weight this year.

I've dropped over 50 lbs so far... looking to lose about 50 more. I can't wait to get some water time to see what effect all of this will have on my riding.
I've always been the biggest guy in the group, and with snowboarding it never really mattered. With wakeboarding, that just isn't the case. Seems like I work 10 times harder than everyone else and never see even 10% of the progress.

Mostly, I'm posting all this in a pretty blatant attempt to get some encouragement from the community... But I'd also like to hear what you guys might recommend as far as wakeboard specific workouts/weight loss regimens... and I'd love to hear from some other big guys that might be out there tearing it up."

So here's the update. We just came off our Labor Day trip and I had my official weigh in. After a year, I am down EXACTLY 80lbs. And yeah, I won the bet!
So now, floating around 250, I'm headed into the off season ready to drop 30 - 40 more and pick up some lean mass. This summer has been amazing for me as far as wakeboarding goes. I'm hoping next summer leaves this one in the dust!

Thanks to all who helped inspire me to get this far.

Upload
Upload

Rich
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
Nice man, congrats. I can say the 20lbs or so I gained after being married a couple years really slowed my progress down...I can only imagine what losing the weight would.
Congrats on getting healthier!

tyler
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
thats pretty effing sick dude. huge congrats. it take a change in lifestyle to make a change like that in your body. not many people have the will nor the desire to make those types of changes. i can only imagine how good you feel about yourself as i notice changes in my attitude when i lose just 5-10lbs.

once again congrats and just keep doing what you're doing cuz its working.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
wow, great work! I remember the thread from last year too. Way to stick with it.
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-08-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
dude im in the same boat as you. was 295 last august and now 215. trying to get down to 180 by next summer. gj and gl. you dont even look like the same person. i look at my drivers liscense pic for motivation also.my weight los came from mostly diet and elliptical.on the weights fairly hard now though.

(Message edited by nate01 on September 08, 2009)
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
Awesome job dude! I was able to lose 38 pounds. You might remember me from my fatbet.net bet I had going with my bro in laws. I won the bet too!

http://fatbet.net/f3fatboys.aspx

I'm still maintaining but I'd love to lose another 15 this winter. It made a huge difference in my riding. I can go 20 minutes now when I used to only go 5. It's a shame though that losing that weight didn't help my courage level! Them face plants still hurt at this weight! :-)
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-08-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Way to go Rich, what a difference. Keep it up, and congrats on winning the bet.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-08-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
Rich Congrats.. its tough, but way to stick to it.. aside from the money dont you just feel better? easier to breath, move, confidence... congrats again man!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Nice!!

So many people fail at this. Awesome to see success.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-08-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
Dude that's awesome. Keep it up.

I found one of the easiest ways to eat well is to always have food on hand. By that I mean lots of cooked chicken in the fridge. Cut up veggies and fruit all ready to go. If you don't mind eatting left over style meals I swear it's the way to go to eat healthy.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
I for one, found you dead sexy this year.

Like Kris said, it's not the short haul, it's the long run. If you and I keep it up, we'll catch him by next year.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-08-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
Way to drop the weight dude, you look like a new man. I'm sure it feels great. Keep up the good work.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-08-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
Rich,

Awesome work! Believe it or not, the southbeach diet works wonders. Not sure if you've tried it but it could help you lose the rest of the weight that you're looking at dropping.
Chris
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-08-2009, 6:29 PM Reply   
Huge props man. I am so impressed by your mental attitude...that has to be the hardest part. Keep that going and you'll get to whatever weight you decide is good for you.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-08-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
doode awesome job! that takes will power for sure
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-08-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
wow.
i was pretty stoked on losing like 8 pounds and i still got 8 more to go before i'm where i want to be.
thats unreal dude.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-08-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
That's badass! Nice work!!
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-08-2009, 11:37 PM Reply   
Thanks everybody! I'm stoked to have made it this far... and ready to take it the rest of the way.

Had a little break over Labor Day in Pateros and at Lake Roosevelt. Now it's back on the wagon. I've got inverts to land and those crashes hurt with the extra weight.

Thanks again!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2009, 12:18 AM Reply   
Thats killer keep up the good work.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-09-2009, 4:18 AM Reply   
Congrat man!!! Keep going!!!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-09-2009, 4:55 AM Reply   
Awesome job Rich. Stay true dude.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-09-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
Congrtts Rich, that is awesome.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-09-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
Nice job keep up the work. You have given me some motivation to get my butt going as well.
Old     (skinny99)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-09-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
Good job man it is tough! I have lost 55lbs since May by watching my diet and working out,I feel great! As far as getting stronger for wakeboarding I would work on some powerlifting excercizes,Squats,Deadlifts,Bench Press,Overhead Press,Pullups and Dips. High weight and low reps! Works your lower body and your core really well,that is the key to getting strong in just about any sport! I am not an expert but have spent many hours researching good ways to get stronger. I also do stupid stuff like park way out in parking lots,walk aisles in stores,anything to take extra steps and be more active,it always seems to help me feel motivated! Keep going!
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-09-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
Way to go man! That's insane.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-09-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
Good work!!! Congrats on the weight loss!!
Old     (mexicoblue)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-09-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Props to Rich! That is awesome, man. Keep up the good work!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-09-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
Hell yeah Rich!! Keep up the work, you are looking good! You'll get a lot of props from folks on WW, but I bet the biggest motivation is how you feel. You must be shredding now!
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Great work so far....

Some more ideas for you....

Learn how to do squats and deadlifts with proper form. Hit it hard once every week to 10 days or so. Finish off the workout one the leg press machine. If you throw up...it was a good workout.

A heavy lift workout like this with squats, deads, and quads worked hard, is a complete shock to the body. This one workout will hit over 70% of the muscle mass in your body all on the same day. It causes your body (at least if you are a guy) to release a ton of natural testosterone. This in turn supercharges any other workouts you are doing.

Also, eat 5-6 times a day. Never let youself get hungry. When you are getting hungry...your body is also releasing insuling, causing blood sugar to be turned to fat. Keep track of your daily calories, and don't exceed your limit...but do it by eating 5-6 small meals (every 2-3 hours...eat)

Finally, once every week or so...ditch the calorie limit and eat a lot. Still eat healthy food...and eat every 2-3 hours....but eat what you want as far as qty goes. This is to keep your body from adjusting to the normal lower calorie level.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
dang.congratulations!
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       09-14-2009, 3:17 AM Reply   
Yay!! I've lost 40lbs and counting since March, and I started wakeboarding in May. Man, it just changes your whole life, doesn't it?! I'm sure your workout regimen is a lot more strenuous than mine, seeing as how you're a man and stuff, but I mainly do arms, legs, and core. Oh, and stretching. Lots and lots of stretching.

Great job, man!! Keep up the good work!
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-14-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Pat yourself on the back man..the riches are the women. Go for it. Jet
Old     (bigfella44)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-14-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
Out of all of the postings on this site. This has given me more motivation than anything I have ever looked at.

I have went out now for two weekends and could not get up. I know exactly what the reason is.......and that is to many double cheeseburgers. Hopefullly I can have the same results as Digg.

Thanks alot
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-14-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
Bigfella44..use this..go for it! Back in the 90's (yeah Im older than you) I saw a picture of me snorkeling in Mexico underwater and I thought it was a whale! No ..it was me at 215lbs. So I started wakeboarding and inline skate marathons and got down to 170-175 lbs with a 4-pack stomach. Marathons kept me in shape..and the weights kept me stron enought to keep riding. Now Im 46 with a 4-pack, still boarding almost every weekend, and a hot 38 year old wife. I can't see myself ever giving up wakeboarding..Its in my blood..IT IS ME! I AM WAKEBOARDING..I AM ALL THAT IS MAN!! LOL! JetUpload
Old     (dwcchad)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-14-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
Stop drinking for a month I lost 20 pounds
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-14-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
Rich, Congrats on your success!! Keep up the good work!
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-14-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
wow, guys... I thought this thread was pretty much done.
Thanks so much for the continued props and advice.

For those of you puttin in work to get or stay in shape... KEEP AFTER IT! I'm switching from mainly cardio to more hardcore weight training for the winter... I'll post up more progress in a few months if anyone wants to see it. Especially if it means Jet will throw down some more pics of his wife in her bikini. :-)

Nick! Glad you found some inspiration here dude. My friends were the key to whatever success I've had. And they're still pushing me to hit my goals, on and off the water.

Thanks again everybody!!