Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
It’s a little hard to write this but on Monday August 9 at 10:30 pm I lost the greatest man I know, my father. Since April 16 he has been fighting the hardest battle I have ever seen anyone fight. On that day he went in for a triple bypass which went just as good as it could but during recovery he had a major stroke which paralyzed the left side of his body. He has been in the hospital since April 16 fight for his life. Only to succumb to the side effect from the stroke Monday night. He taught me more than I'll ever know and I will always miss him. I know he is in a better place now and is probably teeing off and playing at a beautiful golf course (a sport that we shared together since I was 10).

RIP
Bobby Joe Barham
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-12-2010, 1:22 AM Reply   
Sorry for your loss, prayers to you and your family.
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-12-2010, 1:55 AM Reply   
Wow, that got to be one of the hardest things to have to go through. I'm really sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-12-2010, 3:05 AM Reply   
I'm really sad to hear that, but very happy to hear about the amazing relationship you had with your dad. It sounds like you made the most of the time you shared together here on earth. You are blessed. My prayers go out to you and your family!
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-12-2010, 6:07 AM Reply   
Blair, God Bless you your family during this time.

You are very lucky though. You spent many hours with your father doing something you both enjoyed. We never know when our, or the our loved ones, time will come. I remember in the mid-nineties when I was trying to accomplish some things, started making some decent money and my son being able to do things with us and for himself. My father still worked, played golf and fished. I had planned to finish a 9 year project and then spend some time doing the things he loved so I could spend some real time with him. Prior to that, and when I was younger, I hardly spent any time with my father as he worked shift work and was seldom off on weekends. It was going to be different soon.

In July of '97 I had my second son, my project was complete and sold, and I was ready to move forward with what I had planned. Spend time with him. However, months go by quickly and with a new born you have extra chores. In November '97, my father was diagnosed with cancer and in April '98 it took him. It is now August 2010. I still miss him, wish I could talk to him about things that happen in my life, and wish I would have spent time with him instead of my project.

I didn't mean to steal your thunder Blair. I typed all of that to help others realize that we all plan to take time to do certain things, like spend time with our parents and grandparents. Heck, even our kids. The only problem is that planning and doing are two totally different things and before you know it, they're gone. I applaud you for spending time with your father and he with you. You can always remember those times you had together.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-12-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
Very sorry to hear Blair, having lost my father I know what you are going through. Stay positive and remember the good times.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-12-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
May he RIP...
Old    deltahoosier            08-12-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear this. Stay Strong in troubled times.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Thanks Blair for sharing it means a lot that you would share this with us, your friends. I have been reflecting a lot today about the time I spend with my son. Its his birthday today, he's 12, and I cannot believe how fast the time has gone. Your story (and yours WDD)brings it even more to light how I need to cherrish every opportunity I get. I hope that my son will one day say that I am the greatest man he knows.

I'm sorry for your loss but focus on the gain. All that you have gained from knowing him and all you now have to share that he agve you.

God Bless you and your family, I hope that it pulls you together and makes you stonger.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-12-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
Hate- well said!

Blair - I echo everything already said. I hope and pray for your heart to feel some sort of happiness even though you are going through this. Focus on positive memories. Since reading this, I look around at my 4 kiddos and feel the urge to hug them. Thank you for sharing such a heart felt moment with us. Please take care of yourself and your family and know WW is here for you and hopefully you will find encouragement here and some healing.

God Bless Man!
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-12-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
Stay strong and cherish the memories.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
Keep your head up. It takes a while but eventually it starts to get a little easier to cope with. I just went through the the 3rd anniversary of my moms passing and although I still think of her all the time, thinking of her brings a smile to my face instead of tears to my eyes.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2010, 6:21 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the kind words I knew it would make me feel better it I just got it off my chest. When I first posted this it was at 2 am and I just couldn't sleep. Now when I open this post it just makes me smile a little bit thinking of all the stories my dad used to tell.

Thanks again guys