Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            05-19-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
Bunger surf claims to have 'em. I've read a few posts that they are NOW available, so I ordered a set. I know that once-upon-a-time Surfboard Warehouse advertised them, but never had them so took them off their website.

Upload
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-20-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
whats the scoop on them besides weight savings , and have you tried the hatchet fin??
Old    surfdad            05-20-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
We have the hatchet in a natural composite - let me know if you want one, I can send it to you. It's a cool looking fin, but it's huge. I personally don't care for a tri fin behind the boat.

The Resin Transfer Molded fins are, as you point out, substantially lighter than the natural composite. The "hex" is, I believe, Nidacore. It displaces "that much" resin and fiberglass which creates the weight savings, but also changes the flex and snap. The tip flexes a bit providing some projection and squirt.

Fins built for the power of an ocean wave are overkill for our purposes behind the boat...trying to find a suitable combination is a challenge.
Old    surfdad            05-27-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
So...I got an email from Charile at Bunger, he says he found me a set!

Jeff

I located a set of the fins and should have them by tomorrow or Friday to ship out to you.

Thank you

Charlie
Bungersurf.com
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-27-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
i would like to see this rtm hex in a smaller fin . less then 4.5"
Old    surfdad            05-27-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
SB1's, JL posted this pic in the Fins thread. 3.5" depth.

Upload
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-27-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
will call futures tomm , v2 foil at 3.5 high. i have 10 sets i want to get ranging from 4.16 to 4.38 in composite and rtm finish. the last time out i was able to ride deep back in the pocket with sb1 400 fins with better recovery speed than the scim451
Old    surfdad            05-27-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
If you have access to Futures directly, they are pretty good about making up fins in their standard molds using your choice of colors and materials. The only issue I have had is with the hex material. They don't seem to have that inventoried, consistently.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-28-2009, 5:30 AM Reply   
not going to spent the extra $ on colors or materials , just looking for a lighter smaller fin that works good that they may have in stock.
Old    surfdad            06-02-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
They finally arrived, I think I have the only set in existence.

Upload
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-02-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
they look great , now the question of using fins that are 4.5 long . Over the weekend i was boarding with some people and they used my board and surfed with just c5 sides and a 325 tail fin , they would normally ride a cwb board cause the young man is sponcered by them. the board had lots of drive and of course was looser. So i got some sb1,sb3 and vllfsg on the way. The 2 guys that rode the board that way said the fins need to be real small like on a scim board or wake board and i said this was a surf board and not a scim and thats how i enjoy to surf it. blah blah, So surfdad has James rode the boards you made or bought with just the c5 sides in or is the speed set too fast on the boat??
Old    surfdad            06-02-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
We have goofed around like that. We run the c-5's almost 16" up from the tail so the board is crazy loose like that. We don't have a trailer, so when you'd go to pump or turn the tail would just slip :-)

You'll have to keep me posted on your results with the new fins.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-03-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
our c5's are at 18" from tail and after the first run the pro rider took the tail fin out and had no problem with the board, he wished that the c5 fins were smaller. ( i hate not being in control )
Old    surfdad            06-03-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Yeah - Andriana Borelli rides a Trick Boardz finless - carves and spins 3's with ease. It's 100% rails at that point. Adriana in the stripes on the far right.

Upload