Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (deafgoose)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-30-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
Witch DVD set is better in your opinion?
Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-30-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
I just got Detention 2012. and i love it! its hilarious, and you will love wally (shaun murray's alter ego) it'll keep you laughing. and he teaches things very in depth, from just getting up, to OA 9's. great vid. and 30 bucks too
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-30-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
I have both and they are really very different. Shaun's remake is still funny, but it is much more focused on teaching in detail than the first Detention I and II. What I like about 2012 is that he uses some very innovative techniques to demonstrate what he is teaching and he includes lots of footage of students at The Boarding School in discussion about technique and then demonstrating the right or wrong way to do it. That, to me, is a huge improvement over just watching pros execute tricks they could do in their sleep. Watching Shaun pop a Raley doesn't give you a sense of the terror that trick evokes in a newbie or the difficulty involved in pulling it off. This is a key element for me because in most instructionals the pros or coaches demonstrating the tricks make them look so easy it is often hard to see what they are actually doing. Of course, even serious instructional intent can't hide the fun aspect that Shaun insists is the most important aspect of the sport.

The book is also an excellent instructional tool, but it is longer, takes a full 5 DVDs (I think) and follows a very set format. In this way it seems dry and repetitive by comparison. However, that hasn't stopped me from watching it many times (at least the parts I'm ready to try) I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-30-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
I have the book, and it's a pretty good instructional, but I don't know if I would have paid for it, the book will teach you a few key elements but it will not teach you all of them, but I suppose it would be very difficult for an instructional dvd to access your own personal problems with each and every trick.

Linden, is this wally? [http://youtube.com/watch?v=d5xsYrKP9LU]
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-30-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
detention 2012
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-30-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
I have both too.. Book 1 & 2 as well as Detent 2012.. Like both, but if I were to start over now, I would go with Murray.. like his style/humor..
Book was GREAT for my wife and I to learn wakeboarding at a ripe old age of mid 30s..
Old    murrayair            07-30-2008, 11:13 PM Reply   
I haven't seen the new Detention, but I'm looking forward to getting it. I have the Book and LOVE it. I've learned more from the Book than from any other instructional, by far. It's amazing how in detail it goes and I like how you can choose between four different instructors.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       07-31-2008, 6:01 AM Reply   
I would go with detention, it is really cool.
Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
(Linden, is this wally? [http://youtube.com/watch?v=d5xsYrKP9LU])
haha nope. wally is actually shaun murray, but he rides like a goon when he's wally, to show what not to do.