Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (riverrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-15-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
I am so tired of getting up early, braving the cold air, just to have some jackass who thinks he's bad have his rider fall and throttle down and spin back to get him. It almost bugs me as much as the same guy hugging the shore in the "toilet bowl" driving method. Man I wish people would be more considerate of others. whhheeeew I feel better!!!!!
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   

I new it was a matter of time before someone else on here has the same name as me.

Ha Funny
Old    byerly137pro            09-15-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
It's ok Mike, everything is gonna be alright, were here for you. lol
Old    matt_from_nc            09-15-2004, 4:13 PM Reply   
i am in total agreeance with you, that isant as much of a problem in my cove as those damn tubers that come out after seven when you have finnaly got the cove to your self and the water is like glass, they come to your succluded cove and tube where there is no wakes, now when i was tubing back when i was five i would at least want to be where theres a good amount of boats for a wild ride and what not,,,,,,,,but yea that really pisses me off because when the hardcore tubers come out they take up the whole lake making zig zags across the cove ruining your whole pass but o well.
Old    edward            09-15-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
ahh yes i know exactly what you are talking about. our lake isn't a real big lake (54 acres) but there is a guy who just bought a brand spankin new 04 supra launch lsv with all the works and guess what!!!!the guy can't even get up on a board! he has couple of kids that can get up but can't do much, there best rider is a 15 yr old girl (really hot tooo) and she can almost go wake to wake hs. now we tried to get on this boat and make friends with them but when we talked to them my dad offers the guy a couple of tips in trade for a pull but my dad go on there boat and leaves me and my brother and his gay big headed friend in our boat and takes a 20 min ride and does the same stuff over adn over again (w2w and ts 180) and falls alot, now of course i don't get a ride and i'm pretty sure they now hate us. also these guys rarely board and all they do is pull tubers all day long, they have 4 double tubes always packed to the max with more tubers waitin for a turn in the boat and whenever someone falls they do power turns back around to get the guy. usually we can board with ok water with 3 other boats on the lake max but with just this guys supra we can't even get a good session in. o and by the way we ride behind either our 99 moomba boomerang, friend's 93 prostar, or other buddies tristar, we load these up pretty good but still it makes us all want to throw up when we see this beautiful supra pulling tubers all day long.
Old    sk8joe01            09-15-2004, 5:50 PM Reply   
"hugging the shore in the "toilet bowl" driving method"

??
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-15-2004, 6:10 PM Reply   
So just because you can buy a boat but have beginner skills means you ought to buy something other than a "true" wakeboard boat? Just can't win with you people.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-15-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
mike,

"just to have some jackass who thinks he's bad have his rider fall and throttle down and spin back to get him."

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. What is he doing wrong here? Would you prefer that he power turn?

"It almost bugs me as much as the same guy hugging the shore in the "toilet bowl" driving method."

Huh?

edward,

Have you informed them of the better way to turn around and pick up a rider? If not, you're as much to blame as they are. People can't be expected to just figure everything out on their own.

eric,
Haters.
Old    walt            09-15-2004, 6:49 PM Reply   
I'm with You Salmon......WTF ?
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-15-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
Still waiting in suspense to find out what the heck this 'toilet bowl' driving method is.
Old     (bladerunner)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-15-2004, 7:38 PM Reply   
My friend has owned a boat for a few years and still power turns. Some people never learn
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2004, 12:06 AM Reply   
there is only one reason to do power turns-when you have idiot tailgaters and youre rider falls. again, riding in toilet bowl method?????WTF IS THAT????
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2004, 6:27 AM Reply   
I'm assuming the toilet bowl method is when you follow the shoreline of the lake. In Michigan its law that you drive counter clockwise around the lake, so this I guess would classify as toilet bowl. I agree, tubers ruining early morning water are annoying.

And right on Ed, what right does anyone who can't throw a KGB have to own a nice boat. I mean seriously, you can never be just be starting in this sport, you should have a huge bag of tricks the minute you step onto a board or else stay on the dock. And what kind of a father would buy a boat that’s good for wakeboarding when his kids like to wakeboard but aren't that good. He should buy a pontoon boat and tell them he won't buy a nice boat until they get better because they are embarrassing.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-16-2004, 7:51 AM Reply   
Im with eric on this one. I love the guys that buy the new boats, and they happen to love me, and I get free pulls, everyone has been informed about power turning and we've got like a clan, we group together in a section of the lake that only we know (the bottom is laden with trees and some shallow but we've got the lines down and depths scoped out) and nobody ever really bothers us, there can be good water during the daytime too, occassional tubers but its a good atmosphere, dont be hatin' on people cuz their boat is better than yours, I have one of the most outdated boarding boats on the lake... x-2s, launchs, mobius lsv, wakesetter, centurion, new tige...
Advice... last year I was a hater, introduce yourself, hang out, talk with the older people, offer tips...
Old    edward            09-16-2004, 12:11 PM Reply   
sorry about that did sound stupid. its not the fact that he buys the wakeboard boat and can't get up but its the fact that he buys the wakeboard boat and pulls nothin but tubers.hell if he wants to do that we'll trade him our boat for when he wants to tube and we'll board behind his boat.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
Is there a law that wakeboard boats can't pull tubers? He bought the boat and can use it however he wants. Don't be a hater.
Old    sk8joe01            09-16-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
wats wrong with driving the shoreline of the lake? maybe its cause my lake is smaller, but thats about all you can do
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-16-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
I'm not a hater but I'll take Ed's side in the matter after last weekend. A red and white SAN was pulling a competent rider and we had no problem sharing the smooth water. But this idiot decides to stop in the middle of the cove TO INFLATE his tube. He then procedes to tube and send out rollers that would swamp the QM2.

This guy had the entire lake at his disposal for tubing but decides to ruin the smooth water for everyone.

He should have been able to figure that out... He did eventually, after some arm waving, shouting, pointing and one finger salutes.}
Old     (riverrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-16-2004, 7:48 PM Reply   
Salmon, the toilet bowl method is simply driving circles, following the shore line. The ironic thing is that they ( those driving the shoreline) are their own worst enemy. They unknowingly pull their rider through their own slop. I guess the issue here is respect. When in Rome....... watch other people, it's usually the same people at the same time in the morning. When a rider falls, pull back the throttle, come to a stop, turn around and get your rider. You not only avoid sending errant rollers, you save gas at the same time. As for driving the toilet bowl way, I believe that you can accomodate three times as many boats if everyone picked a line and drove it. It boils down to respect. True everyone has to learn, and I'm committed to the cause. Peace....not a hater!!!
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
ive told my dad who drives our boat not to power turn all the time but he just doesnt get it
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-16-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
mike,

I see what you're saying about "the toilet bowl method". The main issue is that everyone's lines should be parallel so you don't have rollers cruising down anyone's line. People just don't realize that it's better to share a line than to drive their own perpendicular line. Most of them just think they should spread out as much as possible. If you're dealing with wallies, there's nothing you can do about it except maybe moving to a lake that's not shaped like a toilet bowl (what I'm doing). Hopefully, however, if you're dealing with people who are dedicated enough to wake up early, they'd respond well to a little education.

Regarding the turn around, what you said the guy did, i.e. "thottle down and spin back," sounded like the right way: Power off smoothly and just as you are about to settle down in the water, turn (and possibly give it a little gas), blocking the big roller that is coming up behind you and spinning the boat back toward the rider. Coming to a stop is a waste of time.