Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    upupnaway            05-06-2004, 3:46 AM Reply   
I did a nose grab last night, with 2 fingers on one side of a fin, and two fingers on the other side. As I let go and pulled my hand back, I raked my middle finger across the point of the fin, taking out 5 decent sized divots of flesh. I have pics, but they may be too gross to post.

Moral of the story, Treat those A wings with care!
Old    tomcjr25            05-06-2004, 7:47 AM Reply   
I've done the same thing many many times on that board. I always got a clean slice across my middle finger and ring finger every I grabbed indy.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-06-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
wear gloves and you wont have to worry about that problem!
Old    tomcjr25            05-06-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
I used to just wrap tape around the cuts. Gloves are just one more thing you have put on and take off. I'd rather risk it.
Old     (junkee)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-06-2004, 8:13 AM Reply   
i managed to cut my thumb open on the parks bindings, whilke trying to dislodge my foot from them. if i knew how i did that id tell you, cause its probably something retarded.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-06-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
mike, id luv to get out with you soon this year....sounds like the moomba is up and running ey? ive been out about ten times.....starting in mid april....we should touch base if your willing to give a pull....gotta get you out on the rave yet too
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-06-2004, 6:54 PM Reply   
Please don't wear gloves! Unless you're over 300lbs and your last name is Buffalow Has anyone had their hand caught in the crevice slot of the new byerly board?
Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old    xxplosive            05-06-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
i've poked my hand a few times on my subjekt. ends of that thing are pointy, no blood yet....
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-06-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
I know a guy in TX who fell and the handle hooked the "cutout". Ripped the whole side off.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-06-2004, 11:00 PM Reply   
how do you cut your fingers grabbing indy? or were you grabbing tindy
and gloves were outlawed
Old    jzwake            05-07-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
"Moral of the story, Treat those A wings with care!"

Why wasn't the post titled Awing riders beware. Never wear gloves.
Old    tomcjr25            05-07-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
"how do you cut your fingers grabbing indy? or were you grabbing tindy and gloves were outlawed"

I'm guessing tindy means tail + indy. Look at my profile pic and imagine the opposite (left hand on handle, right hand grabbing frontside of the board to the back) on a parks board. Nice and bloody when i let the fin slide through.
Old    jzwake            05-07-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
Tommy,

Tindy is the red headed stepchild of INDY. It is grabing the toeside edge of the board between your back foot and tail (back hand). If has been frowned upon and called lame since around 1999. The thought behind it is grab tail or real indy between your feet because thats where skateboarders have to grab since there is no extra board like there is on a wakeboard. There is also Tail fish instead of stalefish.

It's funny though how slob grabs are still accepted when tindy is not, as it is the same concept.

Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-07-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
Hence the name slob.
Old    wkurtangleboy            05-10-2004, 4:00 PM Reply   
show the pics!!!!!!!
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-10-2004, 4:05 PM Reply   
All I have to say is look at Danny Harf's tindy grabs and tell me they're gay.

I was doing up the BOA dial on a pair of Bylerlys when in the water and somehow managed to stab underneath my thumbnail - it was odd...
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-10-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
1. PICS!

2. Are the fins really that sharp?

3. Why the hell does anyone care if anyone else wears gloves?

4. I once had a dream where I had some custom-made stainless steel fins sharpened to a knife edge (I had been working with some stainless steel that day) and I was ollying onto the boats of some really rude, ignorant, inconsiderate, general jackass boaters and shredding their sun decks. It was pretty cool!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-10-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
two words: Anger Management. just kidding.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-10-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
Haha. A little harsh, you think? Don't worry; it was just a dream. I would never do anything like that to a real person, no matter how much of a jackass he was.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-10-2004, 7:55 PM Reply   
MR. Tacos, anger is a weakness.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-11-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
Jeremy,

I didn't say I was angry in my dream. On the contrary, I was a cold-blooded sun pad killa, dishin' out the pain with a smile on my face!
Old    rypayne            05-11-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
^that was pretty funny^. my 2001 byerly had sharp edges and i kept getting little slices in my fingers. i took some fine sand paper, went over them a few times, and that took care of that. i have a parks now, but havent gotten any cuts. after these posts i looked at my fins and those things are pretty freakin sharp.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-11-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
Is that called "Cutting edge wakeboarding"?
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-11-2004, 2:14 PM Reply   
hey tommy, from what i understand a tindy is when you just put your back hand straight down and grab infront of your back foot, an indy would be inbetween both of your feet
Old    upupnaway            05-11-2004, 11:13 PM Reply   
eeeewwww.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-12-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
If my hand looked like that after doing a nose grab. I don't think I'd be doing anymore nose grabs.
Old    skippy            05-14-2004, 6:45 AM Reply   
I was in the water last year waiting for the cable to restart. I started drifting and tried to correct my position in the water, As I twisted the rope caught round two of my fingers, just as that happened the cable restarted. The medical condition for what happened next is degloving. All of the skin from the knuckle up was stripped leaving the fingernails in place. nice....
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-14-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
i know a guy who was kneeboarding double (don't know why), the other guy feel off. the loose wakeline bounced and wrapped round the capable guys arm, took him off the board, and cut thro to the bone.

Now the guy never kneeboards, he's just a sweet boarder and monoskier
Old    jzwake            05-17-2004, 7:20 AM Reply   
Thanks a lot for this post, jerks . In typical, never knocked on wood fashion I received 10 stitches accross the bottom of my palm from an Awing Fin on my parks board on saturday. 3.5cm gash from landing forward on a indy tantrum. I fell forward over the nose and ran my lead hand over. What really sucks Is I am going to orlando this week to ride OWC for the first time. 3 days of healing and anything I can find to protect the cut, I will be riding there. If anyone is going to be out there from wednesday-thrusday this week and wants to hand out. look for the dude with a bunch of crap on his left hand. I just ordered 4 Pwing fins for my board.
Old    upupnaway            05-17-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Post how you like the Pwings, I may be in the market.
If it is on the base of your palm, cut the fingers off of a surgical glove and put it on, tape the crap out of it to keep it watertight, and you should be good. a healthy layer of neosporin should help keep the infection out as well. Good luck!