Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2013, 11:17 AM Reply   
Or so the AMA says.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...ty-as-disease/

Come on now. Sure some people have legitimate medical issues that lead to obesity, but the vast majority, no. We eat more and as a whole are a lazier society that doesn't require anywhere as much manual labor as we used to.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-19-2013, 12:36 PM Reply   
"Yeah, I can't come into work today, I'm feeling fat."
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-19-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
I don't think that officially calling it a disease is meant to excuse it or shift blame from the person who made bad food and exercise choices to cause it. It is more likely necessary for it to be considered an epidemic that needs significant attention by the medical community so we can get some of these disgustingly fat losers to get some exercise and eat right. Maybe training some doctors on how to treat it properly. Doctors certainly need some training in this area as most of the people I know who have seen a doctor for pain have been prescribed eternal bed rest and pain killers as opposed to physical therapy that would have gotten the patient back on their feet again and feeling strong so they weren't drugged up on their but for the rest of their pathetic lives.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-19-2013, 9:08 PM Reply   
doctors now sell drugs. they've got a drug to fix whatever you've got. calling obesity a disease now allows doctors to prescribe meds instead of exercise and self control. insurance companies will have to cover these costs. we all pay more for it.

high blood pressure?...you won't hear about the need to reduce salt intake, take more meds.
diabetes?....don't watch your diet, take more insulin.
obesity?...sit your fat butt down and swallow this pill.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-20-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
That's exactly right.

It's too bad that our FDA and government in general won't do more to prevent the manufacturing and sales of processed foods. Walk into Safeway, Lucky, or whatever local grocery superstore that you have, and start shopping. You'd be hard pressed to find a food that isn't manufactured or processed, loaded with sugar and fillers, produce that isn't genetically modified, blasted with chemicals, and ripened with gasses, and meat from sick cows that doesn't contain hormones and antibiotics.

Over the last hundred years, this is what food has come too, and it matches the increased statistics of decease, cancer, and obesity.

Our food problem feeds the Pharmaceutical / drug / medical industry. If the nation would embrace natural, healthy food, and doctors would embrace nutrition (REAL NUTRITION), we'd be a lot better off.

But, I don't think you can call Obesity a decease. It certain causes several deceases though.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-20-2013, 11:33 AM Reply   
And I'm a sex addict.

(sorry for trolling today, just in the mood)

Its not a disease, its that you probably look for comfort in food and not other things. EX. my best buddy gained 100lbs after his mom passed away, but it doesn't mean he cant stop eating more and more. Hes just fat now.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-23-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
There are many diseases caused by people's choices. none the less, that is what they are. Literally billions of dollars would be saved if people weren't treated for diseases they "caused" themselves.

Smoking-Lung, mouth, throat, colon cancer, COPD, Asthma, CAD, PVD, etc, etc...
Alcohol- cirrhosis, GI bleeds, kidney failure, cancers (car accidents, pregnancies...)
Drug abuse- violence, ODs, suicides

Other diseases occur because people wont wash their hands or won't use sexual restraint/protection. These are still choice based.

The pharmacology situation IS out of hand, but also surgery. They just want to cut it out and bill for surgery (make your stomach smaller). You know it probably is cheaper for insurance to pay for bariatic surgery than for them to say, pay for other ways to "cure" them. Like: hire a nutritionist, a personal trainer, and sometimes mental health professional to help people loose weight.

If people would not smoke, try not to get fat, drink responsibly, and wear safety devices for whatever you are doing (helmets, condoms, PFDs, seat belts, elbow pads, whatever) and drink responsibly, healthcare and our nation in general would be in a much better place. If doctors, nurses, or whatever treated PEOPLE instead of diseases and illnesses, people, hopefully, would make better decisions, health wise. heaven forbid they spend more than 10-15 minutes with a patient, oh wait, they gotta meet quota and get paid per patient...

the world is full of idiots. in some ways i am one, too.

ps. if people were nicer and kinder as a whole, that would help a lot too. happier people are healthier people...

Last edited by newwhit; 06-23-2013 at 1:36 PM.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-24-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
"Da Best Part about Being Phat,,,Is Never having to Worry about Getting Fat"
Says it at the End of my Video,,,Da Phat Man Can Move
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4uxlTE3e6U
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-24-2013, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_moose View Post
"Da Best Part about Being Phat,,,Is Never having to Worry about Getting Fat"
Says it at the End of my Video,,,Da Phat Man Can Move
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4uxlTE3e6U
Boom!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2013, 8:30 PM Reply   
Wait DA Moose is Ron Jeremy? I'm so confused right now
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-26-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
No Im His F Double ,,,why do you think thay call me MooseHead
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-27-2013, 10:24 AM Reply   
^^lmfao!