Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-28-2014, 5:32 AM Reply   
I'm looking at the Polk 650UM's, the Wetsound XS-65 RGB's, and the JL MX-650. They are all are about the same price, I need 3 sets. I'm running 60 x 2 to the front and 120 x 4 to the other 4. Which would you go with?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-28-2014, 5:51 AM Reply   
The XS-65RGB has the RGB LED on the back of the tweeter, where as the other 2 do not offer that. If you are looking to do the LEDs, then its a no brainer IMO.
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-28-2014, 6:43 AM Reply   
If you want led's get the wet sounds xs-65. If not I like the JL MX-650 out of those three.

I finally got to mess aorund with the XS-650's and they sound amazing. They would be my first choice.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-28-2014, 7:46 AM Reply   
I would cast my vote for the xs650's. I have 2 pair and the sound that comes out of them is incredible.
Cannot wait to get my 2 pair of xs808 in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       02-28-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
I would cast my vote for the xs650's. I have 2 pair and the sound that comes out of them is incredible.
Cannot wait to get my 2 pair of xs808 in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That wasn't even a choice.

The xs-65 sound like garbage compared to the JLs and Polk.

It also depends on the loading of your amps and what impedance they are rated for. The Polks run at 2.7 Ohms not the traditional 4 Ohms, so if you run them in parallel you will be looking at 1.35 Ohms... Not a lot of amps are rated for that... Just food for thought
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-28-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Right now I have Polk Momo's that I loved but they have gotten tired and I'm pretty sure at least 4 out of 6 are blown so they need to to be replaced. I also already have light rings around them all and LED everywhere else in the boat so the RED's in the Wetsounds are kind of a bonus. I'm assuming that the LED connectors would interface with my existing controller, but that is another concern. I'm mostly looking for best sounding. Also what is the difference between the SW-65 and the XS-65. I am in Salt water but I'm not running offshore and I'm not a huge fan of the grills on the SW's.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-28-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
The Polk MM's are 2.7 ohms and the UM are 4, I would need to do the UM's.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-28-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=Greeko;1866634]That wasn't even a choice.

The xs-65 sound like garbage compared to the JLs and Polk.

There is a big difference in the sound of the XS-65, which used a W-dome, and the XS-65i, which uses a full dome tweeter like the XS-650, just smaller.
Whether a Kicker, Alpine, Clarion, Infinity, Boston Acoustics, and so on, all W-domes sound erratic. The new XS-65i with a full & true dome really smooths out.

As for the Wetsounds SW versus the XS, both are fully marinized speakers. The closed pattern of the SW simply offers more protection, especially in a fishing boat with rods and reels.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-28-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
aaron,

the XS and SW series are exactly the same build and sound and speaker. The only exception is the cosmetics. So both are salt water rated and can be used either or. I am running the SW-808 and SW-650 blacks in our Tige. We have some salt water fishing boat OEM's that build a lot of black and grey. They use a lot of XS-650 in those fishing boats.

The XS-650RGB should wire right in with your current LED controller. You can always call us with any questions.

Aaron, what types of music do you listen to? I can tell you the 650 is a rock and roll speaker and plays loud and clear. It has a ton of punch. Its the way I design and build our speakers. To play loud and clear and handle the abuse out on the water as well as cut through wind noise and engine noise.

Tim
Wet Sounds

Nikolas, We haven't made the XS-65 speaker for years now. We only have the XS-65i. The 65 was an entry level price point speaker. The XS-65i is a completely different speaker in both sound and materials.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-28-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
I have 2 pair of polk mm691's in the boat now. Being swapped out for the 808's I picked up.
Only because I wanted to put LEDs around them.
However, those mm's sound great. I had them series wired to 5.4ohm on my sd4. They put out awesome clear, loud sound. The mm line lacks however in the mid bass department imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-28-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, the 650's are more than I want to spend, $200 per set is the most. Our music is all over the board, rap, metal, classic rock, country, hell every some poppy garbage if my girl friend gets a hold of the iPhone. I'm not seeing the XS-65i on your website Tim, only the XS-65, is there a difference?
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-28-2014, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alindquist View Post
Thanks guys, the 650's are more than I want to spend, $200 per set is the most. Our music is all over the board, rap, metal, classic rock, country, hell every some poppy garbage if my girl friend gets a hold of the iPhone. I'm not seeing the XS-65i on your website Tim, only the XS-65, is there a difference?
https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-65-RGB.html
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-28-2014, 2:49 PM Reply   
Aaron,

See David's post above. He described the difference between the original 65 and the new 65i and Tim posted that the original 65 has long been out of production. So unless you are buying used or buying someones NOS, you would be receiving the new 65i version.

And YES, there is a very pleasing difference between the old 65 and the new 65i. The sound quality gap between the 65 and 650 has been narrowed with the "i" revision.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-28-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help fellas... I don't supposed that anybody knows if the hole size for any of these speakers is the same as a Polk Momo... Like I said I have rings now and I'm not apposed to cutting new ones but if I didn't have to that would be a plus.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-28-2014, 4:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alindquist View Post
Thanks for the help fellas... I don't supposed that anybody knows if the hole size for any of these speakers is the same as a Polk Momo... Like I said I have rings now and I'm not apposed to cutting new ones but if I didn't have to that would be a plus.
All the mentioned speakers should fit an opening of 5" and have a grill O.D. between 6 7/8" to 6 15/16" max. The 6.5" Polk MOMO may be an oddball and just a bit undersized on both the I.D. and O.D. if I recall.