Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old    chachi            08-11-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
well last night a had my first concussion.
My question is whats the best helmet to buy, and do they make a big difference
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-11-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
here we go again.

a bunch of people will come in here to say that they'll make a big difference, and a bunch more will say that they don't help at all.

from my experience, they help a lot in preventing concussions, but don't completely prevent it from happening. i got a concussion trying 3s w/o a helmet and got a concussion. i put a helmet on, fell the same exact way (slamming the side of my head on the water) and didn't get a concussion. i did get a concussion with it on, though not nearly as bad.

there are a few good helmets to buy, including protec and shred ready.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-11-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
If you buy a helmet with a good fit like a Shred Ready helmet, then yes they help.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-11-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
"i got a concussion trying 3s w/o a helmet and got a concussion. i put a helmet on ... and didn't get a concussion. i did get a concussion with it on"

Umali: HUH???

Chachi: See what can happen if you don't wear a helmet? LOL!

(j/k Umali - I just had to! sorry!)
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-12-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
I think what joe is saying is that you can get a concusion with or without wearing a helmet. I have had three concusions and blown out both eardrums, with and without a helmet. I will say that my eardrum was obliterated without the helmet and only slightly perforated with a helmet. While wearing a helmet, I notice that I do not "see stars" like I used to on moderate falls. I wear a helmet all the time--I am known to take some nasty falls in my desire to become a better rider--melon protection is a good idea!!
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-12-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
I saw Chuck get knocked into next week once he
does take some hard falls. Chucks the MAN
Old     (boardnmoto)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
I have the Protec Acewake with the ear guards; it's pretty comfortable and I've done some nice slaps that would have probably toasted my ear drums. I also took a nice head shot without a helmet and suffered a mild concussion. I still get my bell rung with the helmet, but the impact is not nearly as severe. Add some stickers and it doesn't look so bad. I'm starting to see a lot more people wearing them. It does help the wakeboard shot to the head.
Old    j8711            08-12-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
Protec Ace works for me. Get one before this happens:

Upload
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-12-2006, 11:57 PM Reply   
The best helmet I ever used on the water was a skate helmet that I picked up from Tri-city. It was on sale for $20 and had the soft-foam pads inside.. The trade off was that after falling you would have the push the helmet against your head to get the water out.. but for the added protection it was worth it.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-13-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I completely agree with every aspect of Joe's first post. I use a Pro-Tec Ace everytime now wakeskating/wakeboarding.

(Message edited by yosquire on August 13, 2006)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-13-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
Take a look at this.

You're in a high risk category for a few months until you've fully healed.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=second+impact+syndrome

Good luck.