Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
I see where only 33 riders signed up for pro tour in Reno. indication of the poor financial condition of pro wakeboarding? When only 6 guys get paid money from the comp I guess it makes it hard to cover travel. Maybe their lucky to have 35 pro riders.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-14-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
I would be surprised if there is one next year.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
Cable is gonna be the way forward!! Like it or not that is the way it is going to happen.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
I like it.... If there was a cable in so cal I would ride it everyday. Its such a great way to go. Eventualy I would'nt be suprised to see like the bunny slopes all the way to the double black diamonds of wake parks. Right now they are to small to be profitable ( at least in cali )
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-15-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
There are no wakes in cable so it technically would not be wakeboards but cableboards.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-15-2009, 8:19 AM Reply   
Actually its called Cable wakeboarding, because you are riding a wakeboard at a CablePark.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-15-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
But then it wouldn't be wakeboarding at all, would it? When I'm hitting sliders I wouldn't be wakeboarding either. :-)

What makes you think there won't be a Pro Tour next year? I can't imagine why you would think that. If they can get sponsors in 2009 when the economy is this bad, why would you think they wouldn't be able to continue?
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-15-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
There will be a tour 2010!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-15-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
I hope so Joe, but that's not what I have been told, I am sure we will see soon enough.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-15-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
Dave - Maybe a lot of the sponsors were already committed to '09 before the roof really fell in.Just a thought?

They could not get ANY sponsors to help Monavie with the women. And they got blown out of Wakestock as well. I know the women don't rate very high but still, it's indicative of what is happening...........
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-15-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
And Jeff - I have heard rumblings as well. Hope I am wrong. Regardless, I am sure that unless somebody steps up the women are pretty much done.

Cable anyone??
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-15-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
Well, sponsors on the women's side have been an issue for many years, so I don't see that as indicative of what's going on with the tour overall. It was awesome that we got one year of a full PWT for women last year, but that certainly hasn't been the norm prior to that.

I have zero inside information on the topic, but I'm pretty confident that you'll see a Pro Tour next year just based on what I know about finance and sponsorships.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-15-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
Cris no X-Star?