Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
As most of you know Raequel has had a year with multiple injuries including a dislocated shoulder and the most severe a torn ACL. This past Tuesday Raequel had surgery to repair the torn ACL and is now back on the road to recovery. By the way, Monday night the night before her surgery, she was trying TS 9's and coming real close even with a bummed knee. We all missed you out there this year, good luck in your recovery.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-14-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Best of luck with your recovery Raequel, get well soon!!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
Heal up quick Raequel. You will be back in no time killing it again. WOW on the TS 9.
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-14-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
9's w/ a bumm knee.... thats awsome. get well soon!! im recovering from a compound tib/fib break myself and if shes like me sitting around and "taking it easy" as the dr. says just really isnt fun she'll be back at it soon!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-14-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Get well soon, kid. Can't wait to see you killing it again.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-14-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
All the best...You can drive for us when we come up to Black Butte
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-14-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Love you Rae! I know this year was rough, but it's just a bump on your road to stardom! Next year will be all yours.

Raequel and CIE billy in Reno
Upload

Rae and Me
Upload
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-14-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Girl.....take care of yourself. I'll be heading up to Shasta soon. My houseboat is almost repaired and she is going to be dropped back in the water. Maybe I will stop by and see if you need anything. Or if you want to get out come to the boat.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-14-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Best of luck on the recovery!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-14-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
Can't wait to see you on the water again Raquel.
Old     (hcal)      Join Date: May 2008       08-14-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Get well soon Rae!! I can't believe you were trying 9's the night before! Way to go girl! You are so dedicated. Let me know if you need anything. Maybe I should make you cookies this time : )

They won't be as good as yours though.

Talk to you soon.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-14-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
Isn't it a little risky trying 9's with a bumm knee? Sounds a little retarded if you ask me. Hope her recovery is good though.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-14-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Gene that comment was retarded. Anyone who knows Raequel knows she is a very strong and talented young lady. She knows her body well enough to know when to stop. People live without ACL's for years sometimes before getting them repaired.

You go Raequel!! We love ya.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-14-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
I was thinking that's the BEST time to try 9s!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
^^^Agreed. Gene, don't go calling pro wakeboarders retarded because they are trying 9's with bad knees. You don't get that good by holding back.
Old     (andytr32)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-14-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
A torn ACL is just about the most damage you can do to your knee. Any more damage she could have caused wouldn't have really affected her recovery all that much.

I agree that it is probably the best time to attempt something knew.

Good luck with the recovery, I feel your pain, I'm 4 weeks post op for ACL, MCL, and Meniscus repair.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-14-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
plus Gene, your use of the word "retard" is completely un-PC! Haven't you seen all the attacks against Ben Stiller for his new movie.

Saying retard is like saying the "N" word these days. Parents be coming out of no where!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-14-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
First off, I have been on here for several years listening to all you people tiptoe around saying what is really on your mind and flaming the people who actually do. I believe it is because our PC society says "don't say something or it might hurt someone's feelings".

Second, I never called her retarded. I said that trying 9's while injured sounds retarded and still maintain that it is.

Third, What is even more retarded is people telling me that is the best time to try new stuff! Just because you are already hurt does not mean that you cannot get more hurt trying things because you are already hurt. What if she tears the MCL also and because her knee is loose totally screws her meniscus? Other than a total knee replacement to much meniscus gone has no fix. Plus the fact that if the next injury did occur she would have to wait till the swelling went down (more time out) to even have the damn surgery. So no Andy, tearing your ACL is not "the most damage you can do to your knee" You should know this.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-14-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
Oh and BTW Linda.... Being "strong and talented" never entered into the equation. There are plenty strong and talented professionals that try to come back early from an injury and just end up reinjuring it. She may know her body but does not know what is going on inside her knee without an MRI. I doubt her Doc gave any clearance to ride. Are any of you Doctors?
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-14-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
"So no Andy, tearing your ACL is not 'the most damage you can do to your knee' You should know this."
Why should I know this?..I'm a lawyer not a doctor dammit!!!
(just trying to lighten the mood and keep sight of what this thread is about). Get better Raequel and would it be politically incorrect to say that I sympathized with her plight even more once I saw she was cute?
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
Goodbye Gene, WW doesn't like you...Take a deep breath and chill the F out...
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-14-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
LOL cool Andy.... I am just pissed because I was supposed to have my sugery this morning and it got canceled till next week!! Yeah sorry for the thread highjack. I just hate getting flamed for an opinion.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-14-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
I was trying to lighten the mood too. Failure!

I would imagine that Raequel was milking what will proably be her last ride until next year sometime. I think most of us would do the same.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-14-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   

quote:

By Gene Williams (gene3x) on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:48 pm:

getting flamed for an opinion.

welcome to my world!

jrod, most of us would...except for bug! i told him, "dude! this is the best time to try stuff...not like you can do anything worse to your knee!"

take care raequel! i'm hoping for a full recovery and seeing you back on the water soon. tell the family hi!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
Gods speed on your recovery Rae, hope to see you at the pond next weekend for the NorCal INT supporting your sis.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-14-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
"A torn ACL is just about the most damage you can do to your knee. Any more damage she could have caused wouldn't have really affected her recovery all that much."

There it was. The stupidest thing ever said on this board.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-14-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Get better soon Raequel! I wanna see you ride too when we all go out.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Watch yourself there Gene. You are only allowed to have a certain kind of opinion. It has to be approved first.Lol
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-14-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Definately not a well thought out statement for sure.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
Lol. Don't you know it.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-14-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
A huge get will soon from Utah. Sucks to here about a rider being down and out. Take it easy and you will be riding 110% when your back.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
Hope you heal up quick Raequel. You and Nicola have had similar probs this year. Both did your shoulders and now your knees. Sucks. Good time to get it fixed though. Be ready for next year.
Old    walt            08-14-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
Get well soon !
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-14-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
The Hoffman girls are so cute, they remind me of Phoebe off friends. Anywho, I hope the op went well and the rehab isn't too tedious.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-14-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
We're pulling for you and for a speedy recovery Raequel.

Gene- FYI, Raequel rides with a pretty substantial brace which stabilizes her knee. I'm pretty sure that she wasn't putting her knee in further peril.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-14-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
Darren-at the reno tour stop, parks called her and her sister the phoebe twins cuz he saide they look just like her.

and get better soon kid! see you this weekend
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-14-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
Good recovery, you will be back soon enough.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
Best of luck on the recovery... My knee has been a bit creekie as of late, I hope I get half the love!
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-14-2008, 10:51 PM Reply   
Heal up Quick Rae...
Old     (andytr32)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-15-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
I am the Andy who Gene was responding to about supposed to know this. I agree that any additional swelling from getting hurt could have made surgery impossible, I didn't think of that. However, any more tears wouldn't really affect the recovery very much. From my experience and what the Doctors told me prior to surgery, it seems very unlikely that she could do further damage that would require a total knee replacement. Not trying to stir the pot, just want to admit where I was wrong.

Anyway, discussing what could have happened is pointless because nothing did.
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-15-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
Hope you have a speedy recovery and come back stronger and hungrier!
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-15-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
"Anyway, discussing what could have happened is pointless because nothing did."

What else is there to discuss on WW?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-15-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
Had an acl repair back in the day when they used to butcher you, and I am still riding strong, don't slack on the rehab. Its the most important part of the recovery. Get well soon, and back to representing the west coast!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-15-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
I had ACL surgery 5 yrs ago, tore it first day of the snowboard season, then rode hard the rest of the season on it before i got it fixed during the summer. (before i started wakeboarding of course). Never really caused a prblem other than giving out once in a while. To each his/her own. You guys are brutal. haha
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-15-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
Good luck, chick.... You'll be back on the water and sticking that 9 in no time. Hope to see you soon.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-15-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
"What else is there to discuss on WW?"
uh... encourage someone who just had surgery. unless being a dumbass is more fun.

Rae: Good luck on the recovery. TS 9's! what!
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-16-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
Spoke with Raequel today at the DRA comp at Bell Aqua. She's doing great, fighting through the pain and uncomfort of that huge brace. What a bad a$$ to make it out to an event to see her sis compete!
Old     (raequelhoffman)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-17-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all the support! I really appreciate it!!!
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       08-18-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Best wishes Rae on your recovery, you'll be killin it again in no time