Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-08-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
I want to get started into surfing, I have a 1980 Ski Nautique, I want to get a board, how do I know wich size is right for me?
Old    surfdad            10-08-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
Luciano, probably the biggest factor in selecting a board for the first time is your weight. Can you give us an indication of your weight in pounds? Also, what is available to you there locally in S.A.? Or will you order from one of the companies in the US?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-08-2007, 5:23 PM Reply   
Hi Jeff, thanks for replying.

My weight in pounds is 165, Locals shops have offered me a 2007 Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6'' for U$D300, wich is a great deal considering an O'brien ALIAS is around U$D400. (arriving next month)

I have the feeling a 5'6'' board is too big for me, but the price is just right on what I want to spend. Getting the board from a US suplier would end up costing me around U$D 400-500.

Do I pull the trigger on the 5'6''??
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       10-08-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
Anyone know what shipping a board would be to Argentina?
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-08-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
The 5'6" maybe too big for you, but probably perfect the largest possible wake you'll get out of that SN.

Grab the 5'6" BC, it's local, great deal and perfect to get started on.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-08-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
Dennis, shipping a board to Argentina goes around U$D100, plus custom taxes wich are %50 of the value declared on the invoice attached.

Loc, you mean that even the board is big for me it will work fine because of the wake size my boat puts out?
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-09-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Yes, Luciano -

I think with the boat you have, the larger board, whether the 5'6" you have located or one of similar size will help you get started, as you mentioned as your goal in your initial post.

Although there a many arguable boards much better than the 5'6" BC, your application of getting started, combined with the older SN, the boards in the 5' range will be great to get you going.
Old    surfdad            10-09-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Whoa! So a USD $500 board winds up costing you USD $850! Yeah...I'm with Loc. The 5'6" HL isn't the best board around, but for getting started, at almost 1/3 the cost of ordering from the USA, that has to be the best option.

As Loc pointed out the wake issue will be a concern for you. Also, there is a phenomenon when folks just get started, until you get some "miles" under your surf legs a longer board is easier to ride. Next year you'll be looking for something in the sub 5' range. :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-09-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
With an older, smaller CC I think you need a bigger board. Friends of mine had a 1988 CC 2001. They had a difficult time riding a 5.6 Broadcast behind the 2001. I gave them an IS Red for a couple of hours that allowed them to get started. Once they learned to ride the Red and after adding ballast they were able to surf the 5.6.

If you have a similar boat you'll need to sack it with at least 800 pounds and at a minimum you'll need a 5.6. I've found the 5.6 Broadcast to be a good starter board.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-09-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
Thank you all, this has been of great help.

I'll see if I get the board this week or next.
When I do, I'll post some pics, then I'll need avise for letting the rope go!!!