Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                01-19-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
what kind of set up do i need to edit video and stuff. any spex wood b kool or a box computer i can buy and not have to do anything to.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-19-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
look at the other posts, but my suggestion would be a mac with final Cut pro, if you go to the site they sell packages for editing that comes with the computer FCP, DVD studio pro, and motion for a pretty good price. It all depends on how much your going to use it and what ur skills are.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-24-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   

quote:

but my suggestion would be a mac with final Cut pro

that's if the only thing you'll be using the mac for will be video editing.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-25-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
ditto what Joe said
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-25-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
OK I'll bite, why is a PC better for everything else?
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-25-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
Thats a good question?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-26-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
i like to play games on my pc.

i could wait 6 months after the game comes out for mac to play it or i can play it on my pc immediately.

honestly....honestly....do you not think a mac limits you a little bit? performance wise, they are not any faster and most(not all) programs have limited support.

unless you plan on running a mac specific programs for the rest of your life, why have a mac? i need to know the advantages.
be alittle more specific than, "pc's crash all the time" or "you will get viruses". most times those problems are operator errors anyway.

what are the advantages of having a mac?
price? not really
performance? its a push
reliability? we have gone through more bad mac components this year at work than pc.
security? who runs without a firewall anyway
virus protection? advantage mac, since nobody cares to make viruses for macs
product availability? advantage PC
operating systems? push, both XP and tiger,cougar, leopard, etc..are starting to take cues from one another. if you know how to run them efficiently you will be problem free with either.
scalability or upgradeability? advantage PC

i run a mac G5 all day at work. its a good computer. i just cant get past the software availabilty issues with macs.
Old                01-26-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
i was just lookin for like ram-memory-video card specs and stuff like that wood b more helpful
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-26-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
editting programs are ram-whores.

i would recommend 2 gigs if you can get it, but 1 gig will suffice. realtime effects wont happen with some programs that require X amount of ram.

any video card over 250 bucks and that has atleast 128 mb of memory will be great. ATI's All-in-Wonder cards are really good because of the inputs on the back. and they are great for gaming too. you can look into video cards specifically designed for video rendering but i think they arent not worth it. most high-end gaming cards will do the same thing at a lower price. ATI's website can tell you alot more than what I can. www.ati.com

remember when buying ram to try to stick to the same brand and speed (mhz).

storage(im assuming you meant this by saying "memory") can be overlooked too. i would recommend gettting a faster harddrive over a superhuge one. the 10,000rpm drives are not a must, but really nice to have. i wouldnt get anything less than 7800rpm drive. let your pocketbook dictate the size.

look on www.pricewatch.com for good prices.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-26-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
Great advice. I think toolfan means anything less than 7200 RPM drive. I'd definately get at least a 120GB Harddrive. They're cheap. I've got 534 GB of storage and i'm constantly deleting stuff to get more room.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-26-2005, 8:01 PM Reply   
Some good points for sure here's my reply.

"i like to play games on my pc. "

I don't use my computers for games but I won't argue that one.

"honestly....honestly....do you not think a mac limits you a little bit? performance wise, they are not any faster and most(not all) programs have limited support. "

I didn't say the Mac was faster but I've seen no evidence that PC's are functionally faster then equivalent Macs.

Support? Never needed it. FCP has run like a Swiss watch since the day I started using it.

Cross platform software would have the same support available for both so I see no PC advantage there.

"unless you plan on running a mac specific programs for the rest of your life, why have a mac? i need to know the advantages.
be alittle more specific than, "pc's crash all the time" or "you will get viruses". most times those problems are operator errors anyway. "

What major commercial software isn't available for the Mac? (Please don't tell me Premiere, as a pro editor you know that software is a joke in the industry.) I wouldn't know if PC's crash more then Macs but my Dual G5 hasn't crashed on me yet.

"what are the advantages of having a mac?
price? not really"

Are you positive of that? Give some comparative examples with a currently shipping Mac vs PC. with similar configurations.

"performance? its a push
reliability? we have gone through more bad mac components this year at work than pc."

I bought my first Mac in 1988 and have owned most of the different models over the years. I've had exactly 1 laptop motherboard go out on me during that time. As far as I'm concerned they have zero reliability problems. YMMV

"security? who runs without a firewall anyway"

What's a firewall?

"virus protection? advantage mac, since nobody cares to make viruses for macs"

Is that scorn I detect in your last statement?

product availability? advantage PC

What's that mean? Last time I checked you can buy a Mac just as easy as any other consumer product.

"operating systems? push, both XP and tiger,cougar, leopard, etc..are starting to take cues from one another."

You mean Bill Gates is finally through ripping off the Mac GUI?

"if you know how to run them efficiently you will be problem free with either."

Yep just tell that brand new user to get to the DOS command line and reprogram his autoexec.bat file or maybe the "config.sys"? (Actually sometimes "format C: /A" or "del C: *.*" seemed to work the best in fixing PC issues!)

"scalability or upgradeability? advantage PC"

Elaborate please, what do you need to upgrade in a Mac?

"i run a mac G5 all day at work. its a good computer. i just cant get past the software availabilty issues with macs."

Sounds like your employer thinks it's capable of doing the job and again what software are we talking about? I agree if Mitch goes on to become a molecular biologist or a nuclear physist he may need to get a PC!

If you look at how this thread started Travis suggested a Mac to Mitch for beginning video editing. He didn't say PC's were no good. You & Joe come back with the "Macs are worthless" posts.

I noticed you didn't recommend a type of PC and what hardware configuration and software he needs to get started?

It's hard to get the wrong Mac since every Mac model currently comes with firewire and with the basic software needed to start editing DV video. Can you say that about every PC on the market?* In fact I wish I had a dollar for every guy that's come to this forum and asked how to get the video into his PC. Anyway thanks, it's been a while since I've been in a good Mac vs PC discussion!
}}
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-27-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
....so dont get a Mac unless you plan to only run apple programs?

last time I went to circuit city, they didnt carry any Mac applications, neither does my wal-mart. those are my 2 closest software vendors.

you admit that macs cant be upgraded(or dont NEED it, right) and you dont seem to think that they dont need a firewall. OK. let me get that in writing so I can save the IT guys alot of trouble since they think all computers need some sort of protection.

"It's hard to get the wrong Mac since every Mac model currently comes with firewire and with the basic software needed to start editing DV video. Can you say that about every PC on the market?"
since USB 2.0 is as fast or faster than firewire and XP comes with its own NLE program as well. I dont see buying the "wrong" PC either.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-28-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
Ahhhh Toolfan, "yer killen me!" Did you get that Avid Nitrous or whatever you've got in the picture at WalMart?

I own 3 DV camcorders and none of them have a USB port on them so what good is USB 2? Since all currently shipping Macs come with USB 2 ports as well as firewire what difference does that make anyway?

Since I don't currently have (or need) an IT guy, I'll just rely on the builtin firewall in MAC OS, (no need for me to know anything about them.) Apple offers free security updates which protect the computer as well.

IT guys don't like Macs anyway, something about job security! For example at my last job the company ran an NT network with Citrix emulators. He refused to set my Powerbook up, told me it wouldn't work. I set it up myself and you should have seen the IT mgr's face when the Powerbook ran Citrix faster then his state of the art Sony notebook. I was the only one in the company that programmed their own computer to join the network, all the PC users didn't have a clue. That gave me a good dose of the current Windows OS, no thanks!

Well this can go on & on, just suggest a PC to the guy next time and leave it at that! :-)
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-28-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
im just looking at this from a casual-user point of view. i cant justify getting a mac for a casual video editor.

all of my sony camcorders(entry level) have usb outputs. thats odd yours dont.

i suggest going to any reputable computer vending website(mac or pc) and searching for their semi-preconfigured computers. most of the bigger name(dell, alienware, hp) have rigs that are already setup for home editing. use their default setup to start you off. like i said before, get 2 gigs of ram if you can help it.

i have used every mainstream editing solution. i have just had a change of heart lately. for HOME use, i use to recommend avid xpress pro or dv, but i have been doing alot of editting birthday parties, weddings and what not, with SONY VEGAS and it kicks arse. i said i would never recommend anything but avid, but now i really like Vegas. it is very user friendly, with very easy for navigate and figure out menus.

for the record, i order my computer from kmart...not walmart. walmart doesnt sell mac crap, didnt you read my earlier thread.
Old     (sb1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-28-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
interesting discussion guys...

I have been doing lots of research on different editing platforms and hardware to upgrade my current setup, which is premier 6.5 on an older 1.7ghz dell laptop. I'm still very much on the fence...

I really like the FinalCut/Studio Pro solution, but the change in OS and running multiple computers with different OS does not sound like fun. If FinalCut was available on PC it would be very tempting.

On the other hand, I have a couple friends who are in the post-production industry and have adamently reccomended that I bite the bullet and go with an Avid system (on PC or mac).

I won't be using it for gaming so that is not a concern...neither is connectivity as Im sure either system will have firewire and usb2.

off topic...when is firewire 800 going to become standard?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-28-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
Mitch - Before even thinking about the Mac or PC… You'll have to decide which editing program first and then build your system around that.

Would you like to potential turn this into a career? Then focus on those products that are industry standards like Avid (MAC & PC), Final Cut Pro (MAC), and After Effects (BOTH)

These are all expensive and depending on your current system you can get FREE 30 days trial. Take advantage and try them out firsthand! Since many of the programs have a learning curve I would recommend only trying one at a time during the 30 day period. Take notes and try then out back to back.

If you're still in school, many of the top names like Adobe, Apple, Avid, etc.. offer educational discounts.

Avid (FREE Version):
http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp?pageElement=flyout

Adobe (Academic):
http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/education_pricing.html

Apple (Academic):
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

Misc:
http://www.academic-softwares.com/products.asp

No matter which platform/product you decide to go with, make sure to find a supporting forum & tutorials for it.
Adobe has an awesome support forum here: http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html
Creative Cow also has a bunch of good forums & tutorials: http://www.creativecow.net/

With all that said and done. I use a PC with Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5, After Effects Pro 6.5, Photoshop, Flash MX, Windows Media Encoder and Sorenson Squeeze, and Adobe Encore 1.5.

Old     (sb1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-28-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
what up FU!

any more info on the single vs. dual proc debate?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-28-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
Not many comps, but plenty of reviews: http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=ncchdl&page=1
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-29-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
Toolfan,

first it's:

"last time I went to circuit city, they didnt carry any Mac applications, neither does my wal-mart. those are my 2 closest software vendors. "

then:

"for the record, i order my computer from kmart...not walmart. walmart doesnt sell mac crap, didnt you read my earlier thread."

Am I missing something here? Isn't that your earlier thread?. So it's "blue light special on the Avid Adrenlin over on aisle 5" these days at Kmart?

As far as:

"all of my sony camcorders(entry level) have usb outputs. thats odd yours dont."

It's not odd at all, I don't own any "entry level" Sony Camcorders. Panasonic seems to have forgotten to include them.

What exactly does USB2 bring to the table when you're editing video (besides using it with an external harddrive)? Last time I checked the USB ports on entry level DV camcorders were strictly used for dumping those useless frame grabs into one's PC. (or Mac). Is Microsoft streaming video over USB now? Wouldn't surprise me since firewire was developed by Apple/ Sony and Microsoft has gotten behind it very begrudgingly.

Sean, I wouldn't expect FW800 to become a universal standard anytime soon for the same reason.

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-31-2005, 4:56 AM Reply   
Rich, I hate to go over your head on this one, but I actually read Mitch's first post and then assumed a couple things.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but I first looked at Mitch's profile. I thought his profile pic was cool then I noticed he was 16. He is 16, not 35 and looking to get into a new profession. He probably plays games and download mp3s on his computer, much like the rest of the 16 year old community. That's why I recommended a PC.

as for the kmart joke...there was a little sarcasm there.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-31-2005, 6:15 AM Reply   
"Rich, I hate to go over your head on this one"

Don't flatter yourself.

"He probably plays games . . . that's why I recommended a PC"

I agreed to that originally.

"as for the kmart joke...there was a little sarcasm there."

Really? I was serious about the Avid at Kmart question!

OK it's got down to games, you really got me there!

Let's just leave it at that.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-31-2005, 12:20 PM Reply   
what was i thinking? to hell with it, get a mac. they are well priced and you can get there software virtually anywhere. if you ever have any problems with it, just call anyone that knows anything about computers and they can probably troubleshoot it for you. Thats what i love about macs, the abundance and ease at which you can get service and software. Not that you will ever need service...they are nearly indestructible cuz they are made of metal.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-31-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
Please make the bad man stop....
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-31-2005, 9:23 PM Reply   
hey...i thought people on wakeworld were mature and didnt argue...what gives?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-01-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
Well the 16 year old kid that asked the original question stayed out of it . . . I think that showed a lot of maturity!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-01-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
Ironically enough, I had to replace a fan in a g4(mirror front) last night. luckily for us, we had another g4 hanging around that has a bad motherboard(mac calls it the "logic" board) and we refuse to fix because the part cost 10x more than the computer is worth. So we just swapped the fans.

and now I introduce the $600, 3 year old mobo:
http://store.yahoo.com/hardcoremac/g4loboqu.html
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-01-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
The fan system in the G4 isn't the best, I replaced the fan in a 1.42 dual right after I got it just to avoid problems after I noticed people were reporting issues. Had to move the thermostat in the G5 when I put a second SATA drive in the sled, just wanted to make sure it ran as cool as possible.

You're right, charging $600 for a 3 year old mother board is grand theft. Actually $600 for a 6 month old MB is grand theft. Like I said I've had good luck with all mine, In 16 years, 1 logic board went dead on a 1 month old PB and it was fixed for free under warranty.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-02-2005, 5:15 AM Reply   
Hey toolfan,

Here you go . . . . .

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=37921

Sorry . . . MUST get last word in, serious character flaw!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-02-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
ok
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
w00t