Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-31-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
I am looking to purchase a boat for my family and I am new to all of this. I don't mind spending the money needed to get the right equipment, but I don't want to throw money away. I would like to be in the 40K range if possible. I am in shock of the MSRP prices on the big name companies. Is there a place to find out dealer prices like on cars. I have seached but I have come up empty. Back to the main question, between Axis and Moomba which is a better boat. I am looking for a good wake that me and my friends can have fun with, but I can't have something that is intimidate my children. My kids are 9 and 6. I also want a boat that they will be able to grow into. I am not opposed to buying used either. I don't know what to stay away from though.

Please help and thanks.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-31-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
If you buy lightly used you can possibly get anything you want. 40k is a lot of money really.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
A dealer would be a great place to find dealer prices.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-31-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
Mike - I hope when you ask for advice, someone comes back to you with a smartass comment that is useless to you too.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-31-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Honestly I don't think you could go wrong either way. You kinda need to decide what style you like more, because the axis and moombas look totally different.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-31-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
I looked at the Axis a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I looked a the Moomba Dealer. My wife liked the pickle fork degisn of the Axis because of the etrxa room in the bow. The only boat that the Moomba dealer had was a '11 Outback V. It seemed a little short and shallow in the seats. I have not driven either of the brands. The LSV and the XLV look like good boats online. I don't know enough to make an educated decision either way. I have seen used LSV's for sale at good prices (below 30K). I don't know enough on hours used to know if I am buying someone elses problems or a soon to be money pit.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
Mike - I hope when you ask for advice, someone comes back to you with a smartass comment that is useless to you too.
I guess you really are new at this, so, sorry you felt it was a smartass comment and it offended you.

You stated that you had already found the MSRP prices and you were shocked. So, to simply answer your question, you need to go visit your local Moomba and Axis dealer to see what their pricing is on their boats. I do not know a ton about the Axis, nor do I know which Moomba boat you are interested in, so I could not give you an objective opinion on either, moreless a comparison. I also chose not to interject 10 other models you should look at, which many will do instead of just actually answering the question about the models mentioned in your OP.

If buying new, getting to know your prospective selling dealer and having a good relationship with them, will help through the buying process, as well as long after the sale.

Welcome to WW, happy boating
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-31-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Mike - Sorry I took you help wrong.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-31-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
I am looking to purchase a boat for my family and I am new to all of this. I don't mind spending the money needed to get the right equipment, but I don't want to throw money away. I would like to be in the 40K range if possible. I am in shock of the MSRP prices on the big name companies. Is there a place to find out dealer prices like on cars. I have seached but I have come up empty. Back to the main question, between Axis and Moomba which is a better boat. I am looking for a good wake that me and my friends can have fun with, but I can't have something that is intimidate my children. My kids are 9 and 6. I also want a boat that they will be able to grow into. I am not opposed to buying used either. I don't know what to stay away from though.

Please help and thanks.
I own an Axis, one of my buddies has an XLV, one has an LSV. I obviously chose Axis but I have spent a lot of time in all three boats. As far as space the Axis is closer to the XLV but I doubt you will be able to find a new Axis or XLV for 40k...

The Axis wake is very scalable with the plug and play plus the wedge. We have beginners and advance riders - its easy to scale the wake accordingly (its very easy to clean up). The XLV takes a little more effort (moving weight around). Test drive an Axis and then test drive an XLV they drive as different as they look.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-31-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
We have an Axis so I am slightly biased but I think the Axis is one of the best boats out there for the money. Like Ed said you can adjust the wake to all skill levels. It has a great stock wake for the kids and with the plug and play you can get a monster wake for you and your buddies. Add the wedge and it cleans up really nicely. I personally love pickle forks and it is one of the main reasons we looked at the Axis. I love the extra room it provides. Moomba alsonmakes a great boat so go test drive the boats you are interested in and see what works best for you and your family.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-31-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
I would make the time and do the drive to demo both boats. They are so different you are sure to have a favorite when all is said and done.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-31-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Ed / Bruizza,
Is the tower on the Axis collapsable? I emailed Axis about and did not receive a response.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-31-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
I have a Supra right now and have been in Moomba's and the Axis. Out of any boat I have been in I love the Axis. It's very simple and is exactly what someone would need that just purely wants to go out and wakeboard. The wake on the Axis with the plug in play, in my opinion is the best wake out there that I have ridden, and I've been behind a lot of boats. It will definitely boot you up. The Axis is made to be simple and not all fancy, so if you're looking for something that is going to be all "blinged out" buy a malibu, nautique, supra or mastercraft. As for the Moomba, they're a decent made boat and the wake will be alright, but the wake will wash out on one side or another usually. They're very weight sensative boats. The wake won't be as good but that is just what I think from personal preference. I would say that being in the two the Axis is top notch and the moomba is lacking in a few things when compared. If i were out to buy a new boat I would get a A22 for sure.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-31-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
Another Axis vote.

I own a Supra (same maker as Moomba) and have ridden/driven the Axis. The Axis is a more versatile boat. You can start out with stock ballast as a beginner, but when you begin to advance you can add additional ballast and have it plumbed into the stock ballast. This makes the Axis a much better boat to grow in the sport with. The Axis with added ballast can compete with any wake out there. In fact, the Axis I rode had an extra 2500 lbs added to the stock and it was hands down the largest wake I've ever ridden.

It's not that the Moomba is a poorly made boat, because it's not, but I think the Axis is just a little more solid. If I were in the market for a new boat and money were no object, I would buy a Malibu. I've ridden behind most every wakeboat out there and I just think that Malibus are solid well built boats with the most versatile wakes in the business. The Axis is based off the old VLX hull and is made by Malibu. It just doesn't have the bling that the more expensive Malibus have.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-31-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the help. It sounds like Axis is the way to go. I have found a new '09 Axis still on the showroom floor. The dealer is asking 42K for it. What would be a fair price for it?
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-31-2010, 6:38 PM Reply   
We've been extremely happy with our Axis (2010 A22 since June of this year). We've been very happy with it, and it certainly has met our needs. As far as a core wake boat, it certainly has met our needs, and fits plenty of people. I'd reccomend doing comparison shopping since the boats you are talking about are significantly different.

To answer your earlier question, the tower does indeed collapse. I've suspended mine from the garage ceiling to keep it from resting on the cushions all winter.

What sort of options are on that '09? I know that my dealer has one listed for sale just under that.

Last edited by jjaszkow; 10-31-2010 at 6:44 PM.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-31-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
I'm going to throw a vote in for the Moomba. You need to drive the LSV vs the Axis to form your own opinions.

I am a dealer for Moomba so obviously I am partial but I will state only the facts. Like I said above, you need to drive them yourselves to decide which is better for you.

Moomba has 20 plus years of quality, engineering, and proven resale value. Moomba will give you a complete boat standard with tower, ballast, cruise, and trailer. Moomba also gives you full fiberglass interior walls, full wraparound windshield, carpeted segmented floors that reduces noise, walkthrough layout to get to the bow, a wake shaping device great for all Watersports with the wakeplate, a drop v keel that will make it ride better in choppy water, a tower that very easily folds (especially with the v2 tower), and more options for colors and gelcoat to give you more of a customized look.

Look at the wakes was well. Fill both boats with stock ballast only and run at 21-22 mph. The moomba will have much more of a defined lip that will give you more pop. Also play with the wakeplate so see how you can adjust the wake for different levels of riding. Wakes are a personal preference so again, you need to see this yourself.

Most importantly look at the dealer closely. Who will take care of you the best? Things happen, whether it be a dinged prop, normal service, or warranty work.

In the end you would be happy with either of the boats but one will hopefully stand out from the other in the areas I stated above.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-31-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
Hey Jamie......does your screen name have anything to do with Bumpass Virginia? ( Lake Anna) If so, you have Malibu and Supra dealers right next door to each other. Should make for an easy demo.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-01-2010, 3:26 AM Reply   
John - The screen name doesn't have anythig to do with Bumpass, Va directly. I call my dog Bumpass sometimes and it normally works well for screen names. I live in Sumerduck Va with is about 1 hour north of Lake Anna. That will be the main location to run around at. I know the dealer you are talking about. I was there on Saturday. They only had 2 boats in stock. I also went to Lake Country Marine and looked at the Malibu boat that they had is stock. They told me that they are now Axis dealers also. They have ordered a few boats and waiting for delivery.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-01-2010, 4:22 AM Reply   
Joe - here is a link to the '09 Axis. Let me know what you think.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=820104
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-01-2010, 5:55 AM Reply   
I've got to vote for the axist too. If you're interested, my local malibu dealer in Charleston, Tennessee has a few used A22's in your price range. Check out www.marineoutfitters.com - ask for Joyce or Shannon.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-01-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
Jamie, I was out on the warm side of Anna on Saturday demoing a brand new 2011 MB F21 that could possibly be in the $40's. Happened to have the Supra/Moomba dealer in the boat with me too. Needless to say we were all very impressed. Give me a shout if you want to go for a ride.
Attached Images

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-01-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
When he said dealer pricing I think he meant "cost". Or what the dealer pays to purchase from the manufacturer.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-01-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
A fellow Axis owner here. We love our 2010 A22. The wake is always clean and surf wake stock is very rideable. Speed controls are dead on and the wake is consistent filled or not filled with wedge up or down. We have about 150 hours since March and have really enjoyed it. The front is extremely spacious and everything is quality built. We did a plant tour and you see the pride the people take in making the boats. Customer service with Axis is very good as well. I still talk to them on a weekly basis, not about issues, just catching up and letting them know hey, I just landed this and I couldnt in my other boat. I suggest testing and playing with each wake weighted, semi weighted, fully, different speeds, different people configurations. Do some turns in it and see how the handling is when weighted (not encouraging power turns) lol, but in certain cases you have wallys that are on your rider if you fall or boats coming the other way when a power turn is necessary. You take for granted that you may not have tested how it acts fully weighted. The Axis acts like its on rails and turns well. The tower is collapsible and the Bimini is extremely large. Check OB area storage as well, how much room do you have in both boats? What is storage like on each boat. I can tell you the OB in the Axis is pretty good size. I was able to sit in it and wire my amps. Small things like that help you determine what you can fit in there. Good luck in your choice, best thing is to go out, side by side compare them and ride the wakes, and once you buy, ride the crap outta the wake! Wake in rider perspective pic is fully ballasted, wedge down, 3 persons in boat. One of me jumping the wake is fully ballasted, driver only.
Attached Images

Last edited by silvermustang35; 11-01-2010 at 7:44 AM.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-01-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
Drive the Axis. I think you'll find that there's no comparison, especially if you're concerned about the wake. The Axis has Malibu in its DNA. It has the capability of putting out a world class wake.
Old    ausbill32            11-01-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
I had 2007 moomba LSV and 2006 Supra 21v. LSV was a good boat, never a mechanical or electical issue. It's just not as plush as some of the bigger name brands like mastecraft, malibu, supra. All-n-all though Moomba is a good running boat. I don't know anything about Axis. If you have 40k to spend though, I'd buy something used ilke this 2006 X45 for 42k on craigs list below, as you'll probably be happier in the long run and never think twice about selling to buy a higher qaulity finished boat. There are so many nice used boats in the 40k range

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2034933984.html

Last edited by ausbill32; 11-01-2010 at 8:09 AM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-01-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
The wake behind the x45 has nothing on the A22 wake IMO. Yes, the x45 is pimp as hell, but it's not a core rider boat.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-01-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
Bumpass that is a pretty good price on that A22. I would definitely ask them about upgrading it to the plug and play ballast system and the wedge. It is worth spending the extra $ to have the choice of riding all the way up to 3350lbs of ballast plus wedge. (900lbs stock, 750s in the rear lockers and 950 up front.) The normal plug an play kit gives you 2650lbs of ballast (400s instead of 750s).
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-01-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
Jamie, that link you posted is actually to the exact same boat that I was referring to. That is the same dealership that we bought our boat from . They were great to work with, and I feel we got a great price. Post sales service has been fantastic too.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-01-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Definitely demo an 06+ LSV if at all possible. The A22 is great boat for all the reasons already mentioned, but you need to try both and decide for yourself. I was in the same spot 2 years ago and chose the LSV.
Old     (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-01-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
was the axis even available two years ago?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-01-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
Axis was released for the summer of 09.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-01-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
I should have said two seasons ago I guess. Apparently I measure years by number of summers passed. May 09, how's that?
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-01-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
I am not a Malibu owner nor have I ridden behind an Axis (Malibus ?, yes, many times).

However, I read this forum a lot for boat reviews and have noticed that ... there is a lot of love for the Axis wake.

And the accompanying pictures back that up. Picture after picture shows a crisp and clean symmetric wake ... w/o wash on the rider's landing side (eg., say as if the rider's cut/drift into the wake rolls the boat slightly ... and hence washes out the other-side wake).

If the wake is scalable .. like many are claiming ... all the better. That is the strongest value of my own boat. (IMHO ... and to be sure, I'm not trying to sell it ... or switch your mind on brands). It was meant to be a cross-over from a ski boat (nope) to a wake boat (decent or better than that). But designing it to provide a ski wake meant ... while it provides too hard of a bump for a competive slalom wake ... at its lowest range ... it provides a very low obstacle for a wakeboard wake.

Given my experience of towing a wide variety of riders in the low to medium scale of skill range, I so know what I like in a boat's wake and have been so much been convinced by all the kind reviews of the Axis that I would investigate it for my next boat.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-01-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
The Axis wake is huge and clean, and if you like the Malibu style of wakes then it's going to be an amazing boat for you. I personally prefer a defined peak/lip at the top of the wake and didn't like how the Axis (or other Malibus) just round over at the top. It's all personal preference, so while the Axis wake is what seals the deal for many it's what kept me away. That's why everyone always says "demo, demo, demo!"
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-01-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrinse View Post
The Axis wake is huge and clean, and if you like the Malibu style of wakes then it's going to be an amazing boat for you. I personally prefer a defined peak/lip at the top of the wake and didn't like how the Axis (or other Malibus) just round over at the top. It's all personal preference, so while the Axis wake is what seals the deal for many it's what kept me away. That's why everyone always says "demo, demo, demo!"
You obviously did not ride behind one with the plug and play + wedge. Without the wedge its big and rounded, with the wedge it has a very defined lip.

Last edited by elc; 11-01-2010 at 1:09 PM.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-01-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
We also own a 2010 Axis A22 and LUV it, the wake actually has a sharp lip on it, if the wedge is used. Without the wedge, it does have a rounded off lip.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-01-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
I think we should see more pics, I have a 2010 mobius ls so my boat isn't in the same category I can say this, moomba take every opportunity to make their boats better and at a greater value, I enjoy my boat, the fit and finish is great I have spoken with a few people about the a22 they all like them so it's a toss up imo
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-01-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
And I mean wake pics. We all by. Now have seen you axis guys pictures of your boats so no need there.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-01-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Click on the link and three posts down - wade posted a wake pic. This is a good representation of a loaded (stock + plug and play + wedge) Axis wake.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784057
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-01-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Ok that looks great. Now let's see a mob lsv with 650's in the back and then we can have a good comparison
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-01-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   

LSV with stock 1200 lbs and 3 people in the boat.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-01-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
Hey Jon your pic never showed up?
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-01-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the help everyone. If I decide to go used vs. new, what are some of the things that I need to look for and stay away from?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-01-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-01-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
Jamie it all depends on what u want to do with your boat. Your on wake world so most guys here are core wakeboard people. Me I like bare footing and slalom aswell so a vdrive wasn't what I wanted....I did a lot of research before I bought and wanted new. I think I got a great deal. I can tel u I like malibu correct craft and skiers choice above other brands...just my opinion guys...and yes I know axis are malibu. Do your research and test drives...good luck.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-01-2010, 5:32 PM Reply   
This is stock 1200 plus a 750 across the bow with a driver and spotter.

Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
Jamie, I was out on the warm side of Anna on Saturday demoing a brand new 2011 MB F21 that could possibly be in the $40's. Happened to have the Supra/Moomba dealer in the boat with me too. Needless to say we were all very impressed. Give me a shout if you want to go for a ride.

Guess there always has to be that guy that throws in another brand all together. I'd have say I'd give the nod to the Axis or the Moomba over that washed out wake. Just sayin, you should of at least found a good pic of the wake.

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 11-01-2010 at 6:07 PM.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-01-2010, 6:17 PM Reply   
^^^ I hope you are joking
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-01-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
That is what happens to opposite wakes after a solid raley cut.

Here is a nice video that shows all F21 footage.

The OP, most likely did not know that MB was in his price range and he also rides in an area where MB actually has a good presence.
Old     (rt360)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-01-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
jamie i too boat at lake anna. if you go used you open the door to many more models and much more versatility.keep this in mind. every boat makes a wake all wakes can be adjusted with weight and speed. i have ridden behind many boats. i got used to all of their wakes in time. forget the wake you will spend more time driving and relaxing in the boat. it's your money so find what you like demo it and then we can help more. remember you can get more features on a used boat and more shine on a new boat.as for a single brand it's like cars everyone will tell you theirs is best. but in my experience if you buy anything used thats 3 to 5 years old you can get a whole lot more features and a very reliable product.also if you buy used and you decide you don't like it you will lose less money when you resell it.as for buying a new 09 i would be hesitant no matter what brand it is . it has been sitting idle for 2 years thats not good. if it had fuel in it i would run from it . todays fuel is not meant to be stored and wont last past 6 to 8 months even with stabilizer in it.i would also stay away from 4 to 5 year old boats with less than 100 hours on them. usually that indicates a owner bought it used it a year or two and then let it sit.go to a boat show plenty are coming up in jan and feb and then you can see whats out there and what it costs and you won't regret buying a price. you will enjoy a boat you like for the price you wanted to pay.good luck
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
^^^ I hope you are joking
I was shaming you into some better photo's .
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-01-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
I wish I had some. While it is usually my cameras taking pictures, I am either driving or riding and this day the person taking the pictures was obviously more into the rider.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-01-2010, 9:25 PM Reply   
I have an 08 XLV and have been very happy with the boat. Im up to 275 hours and not a real problem to speak of. The thing I like about this boat is you can have 2650 lbs of ballast and it's all hidden. The wake is quite big and I really like the seating layout (basically the same layout Axis used).

But in 08 there was no Axis boats, and if I was buying now it would be between the Mobuis XLV and an A22. I like the room of my 23 foot boat and 22 would be the smallest I'd go.

Here is a pic of the wake on the XLV:
Attached Images

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-02-2010, 10:00 PM Reply   
I own a Supra, which is a Skiers Choice build, who also builds Moomba. Really enjoy my Supra, we are intermediate riders and the wake is great. 230 hours on the boat and it has been a solid runner, interior still looks brand new, no gel coat issues, very pleased with the build quality.

One key item to keep in mind is how you will be treated when you have a problem with your boat. SC has been excellent to deal with with warranty repairs. Just keep this in mind when looking at any boat, personally I would be a little hesitant about spending $40k+ on a boat that has only been out for a couple years. Definitely not bashing the Axis brand, but SC has been building boats for 30 years,

Just something to keep in mind, good luck with your search.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-02-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
I own a Supra, which is a Skiers Choice build, who also builds Moomba. Really enjoy my Supra, we are intermediate riders and the wake is great. 230 hours on the boat and it has been a solid runner, interior still looks brand new, no gel coat issues, very pleased with the build quality.

One key item to keep in mind is how you will be treated when you have a problem with your boat. SC has been excellent to deal with with warranty repairs. Just keep this in mind when looking at any boat, personally I would be a little hesitant about spending $40k+ on a boat that has only been out for a couple years. Definitely not bashing the Axis brand, but SC has been building boats for 30 years,
Just something to keep in mind, good luck with your search.
Malibu has been around as long as skiers choice and they build axis.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-03-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
Just keep this in mind when looking at any boat, personally I would be a little hesitant about spending $40k+ on a boat that has only been out for a couple years. Definitely not bashing the Axis brand, but SC has been building boats for 30 years,
This is a non issue - I have had a couple warranty items that needed to be addressed. Adam from Axis followed up with me to ensure everything was taken care of by my dealer. The service from the MFR is excellent. You will find the same feedback from any owner that has dealt with the Axis team.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-03-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Yep definitely a non-issue. We have had a couple small things go wrong on our Axis and the warranty work has been top notch. Also our dealer contacts Malibu for the warranty work on our axis so a better comparison is SC vs Malibu not SC vs Axis. Like already stated Malibu has been around just as long as SC.
Old     (SmoothWaterMan)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-03-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru1974 View Post
Jamie it all depends on what u want to do with your boat. Your on wake world so most guys here are core wakeboard people. Me I like bare footing and slalom aswell so a vdrive wasn't what I wanted....I did a lot of research before I bought and wanted new. I think I got a great deal. I can tel u I like malibu correct craft and skiers choice above other brands...just my opinion guys...and yes I know axis are malibu. Do your research and test drives...good luck.
Just a quick hijack in response to this post. For those that haven't noticed, the A20 (and likely the A22) with ballast empty and wedge up is an excellent barefoot boat. While 75' is okay, at 85' the curl and table is near tournament quality, based on my front and back passes earlier this summer.

Just something to keep in mind -
Peter
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-03-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
no offence but after comp sking and yes i remember when the barefoot nautique was out and had a v drive.....my old supra a 94 ts6m was better just didnt have the big motor.....i think the nauti had a 454....would love to compare 43mph wakes. but i doubt highly that a deeper hull on the axis would have a smooth wake even long lining it.
Old     (SmoothWaterMan)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-04-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
I'd recommend you try it out to see then. I ran them at 40, and it surprised me too.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-04-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
Jamie,

Your dealer location should also be another concern when you purchase your boat. I just checked the Axis website, and the closest dealer to my house in the Sacramento, CA area is 4 hours away (assuming its up to date). Taking your boat in for service/repair with this much of a haul would be a pain in the *ss. Regardless of what boat you buy, just consider this when looking at different brands.