Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-21-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
Whats Better for boarding what models?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-21-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
There both good IMO. I'm using the Rebel XT.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-21-2005, 11:08 PM Reply   
Short answer: Either one.

Long answer:

Both Canon and Nikon have advantages and disadvantages. I personally switched my cameras from Nikon to Canon at the beginning of this year, but for several years I made great pictures, and made money, shooting Nikon.

Things you need to consider are how much $$ do you want to drop into the system. Do you plan on purchasing many lenses for it, and getting the high-end camera bodies, or are you looking for a simple one or two lens system with a D70 body or a Rebel XT body?

I'm a bit more knowledgable about the high end cameras like the Nikon D2x/D2hs, and Canon 1D(s)MK2, so I approach it from that angle. For me, the deciding factors were two things: frames per second at high resolution, and weather sealing.

I need 8 frames per second for my work. I like having 8MP. My previous Nikon system had 4MP, and that worked fine, but 8 gives me cropping freedom, and I can deliver better files to my clients.

The second thing is weather sealing. I was spending a few thousand $$ every year on camera repairs due to water damage. Canon's high-end equipment has weather sealing that Nikon's don't have (or at least, it's not as extensive).

If you're on the lower end of digital SLR's, then either system will work great for you. Try them both out in stores. Read many review sites...not just one. Look at sample images. And keep doing what you're doing here... asking questions!

What models are you comparing, what else do you want to shoot with the camera, and how much do you want to spend?

Mike Isler
www.islerphoto.com
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-21-2005, 11:19 PM Reply   
Im comparing the d70 and both rebels
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-22-2005, 5:39 AM Reply   
Hi there, I have the Canon 300D (Rebel) and love it, will probably upgrade to the 350D (XT) next year though when the price drops some. Nikon and Canon both make great equipment like Mike said, so you really can't go wrong with either one. You may want to check out www.dpreview.com and read the in-depth reviews of the cameras you are looking at. It's the little things that will make one better suited for you than the other.
Later
Tiff
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
What made my mind up is seeing prints off of both cameras. The people at Ritz explained that the Nikon focus is "softer" -- I saw a few macro pictures of flowers and determined that "softer" wasn't what I wanted for wakeboarding and equestrian events -- who wants "soft" water droplets? Love my Rebel xt.