Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    wakeboard662            09-02-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
I need help getting more distance and height on my jumps. When i jump i only make it half way through the wake at about 2 feet up. Please post tips.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-02-2004, 3:02 PM Reply   
hard to say. Is the boat going fast enough? Is your rope too long for your ability? Do you have a strong cut into the wake? You could be backing off edge before you jump, not edging in hard enough, or simply trying to leave the wake to early. Can you post some video?
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-02-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
I also have a question.....
---I have seen hours of video of myself and I know exactly what I'm not doing....I have a good cut, good edge, everything is perfect, except I absorb the wake to much. I can clear the wake fine, but thats just because i have a good cut that gets me going fast enough. I've watched all the videos, listened to my friends, read all the posts, and I understand and know the concept of standing tall and all that. When i go into the wake i feel like i am standing tall, but than as i go up the wake i absorb alot of it. Pretty much what Im asking, is there any advise on maybe another way to think of it or any totally different techniques that can get me past this block? My riding is at a stand still until i can get past this. I'm ready to soar, but my body says no.
Old    byerly137pro            09-02-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
push the hanfle down to your hips it makes it easier to pop
Old    wakeboard662            09-03-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
The boat speed is around 20mph and the rope length is 30 feet. I think i need to work on a better cut I come at the wake at about 40 degree angle and i dont have much speed.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-03-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
a 30 foot rope?! good god man. I like to call that black-eye length. If the rope get's popped out of your hands it could fly back into the boat and give someone a black eye. Let your rope out to about 60 feet.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-03-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
30 feet????? No way! At 30 feet your wake would be similar to a parking lot speed bump. Are you sure it's not more like 60 or 70'? 20mph isn't bad for starters, but your rope should be about 65' long at that speed depending on your boat.

Ryan, Try taking a shorter cut. Don't edge hard until you get within 10 feet of the wake. Then edge super hard and stand tall at the pop. Your high speed approach into the wake may be the cause for your hesitation at the wake. Come into it slower. Focus on going high instead of getting distance.
Old    wakeboard662            09-03-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
Yea the rope is really short then. About how far should i swing out before i start to make the cut.
Old    phaturn            09-03-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
go out just past the spray. The best way I have found to explain this to my freinds is.......if your on the heel side of the wake.....and you do a heel side cut out.......well, do that same damn thing on the toeside of the wake, and at the wake stand up. I have taken people from not getting any air to clearing the wake with that simple advise. Some people may diasagree with it, but it works for us rookies.
Old    jojomantor            09-06-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
watch videos it does not even have to be instructional if u watch a pro video and see what they are doin it helps a lot