Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
I recently purchased a 2001 Tige 21v and had a question. It came with a Faria Pilot gauge (temps, hours, voltage,etc) and the hour meter does not work. It appears that the gauge needs 13.6 volts to engage the hour meter, but the boat is only charging around 13.4 when underway (about 12.6-12.8 at idle.)has anybody else had this issue and what did you do to fix it. Would like to use this gauge with out adding another gauge elsewhere. Anyone have any tips of what might help solve this??
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-05-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
that's strange. who / what told you the hour meter needs 13.6V? i don't think i've seen 13.6 at the dash on anything.
Old    helix_36            05-05-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 20i and have never heard anything like that...and my battery runs at about 13 I believe..
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2003, 1:14 PM Reply   
The Faria owners manual is where I got this, plus my dealer. It is only the Faria Pilot gauge that needs this voltage for the hour meter. This gauge is all digital and the idea was that at 13.6 volts, the boat must be running, kicking on the hour meter. Just sitting with the key on would not run up the meter.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-05-2003, 1:40 PM Reply   
makes sense, but 13.6 is the low side of alternator voltage. would be difficult to get that up to the dash if that's all your alt's putting out.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-05-2003, 2:54 PM Reply   
So when I start turning on, Heater, shower pump, night lights and stereo, my volts drop to around 12. So the hour meter would then stop working? That dosent sound right.
Old    chadna            05-05-2003, 5:27 PM Reply   
Try a new dealer, the one in B-ham is closer anyway..............
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-05-2003, 7:21 PM Reply   
Look on page five. http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0123B.pdf
Old    chadna            05-05-2003, 8:38 PM Reply   
Call the chief mechanic at SKIHUT, Steve knows his stuff...........
Old    pjmicklos            05-05-2003, 9:23 PM Reply   
I have a 2001 22I R. My Tige owners }manual says in bold that "The hour meter is engaged whenever the ignition switch is in the ON position, even if the engine is not running. I have the Faria gauges. It is on page 12.}
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-06-2003, 4:24 AM Reply   
Your 2001 22IR does not have the Faria Pilot gauge. The Pilot gauge came on the V boats with the Millennium dash.
Old    river_rider            05-06-2003, 4:27 AM Reply   
I wish I could get my hour meter to stop working.
Brad
Old    whitechocolate            05-06-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
I dont Own a Tige But My Nautique hAs the Digital Faria Gauges. 13.6 Volts "No Way" Somthings wrong with your Gauge If I could get 13.6 at the Gauge Even with my 165 Amp alternator I would be Very Happy. That's not the reason your Hr gauge isn't working. Ill ask around.???? Make sure everything is grounded My Hr gauge is working even when my boat is at Idle
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2003, 6:47 AM Reply   
Sorry, but the owners manual from Faria says it requires 13.6 volts, Tige has said it, and my dealer has said it. This is specifically related to the Pilot gauge, installed on the V drives with millenium dash. Don't think I have seen it on other boats. All other functions on the gauge are working, it's just not getting enough juice to run the hour meter. Thanks to all who replied here and privately, I believe I have a solution in hand. Want to thank Andrew and Lee for helping me out with this.

(Message edited by rkg on May 07, 2003)
Old    whitechocolate            05-07-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
Keith: Let us know what it was. I would be very intrested it find out what it was and how they fixed it. It's weird because Most 12v stuff has a Volt Range that it works to and from Like most AMPS are like 11.4 to like 15 v. It seems so weird the a Gauge would need more Juce than a 2400 watt amp. Im still not sold!
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2003, 7:31 AM Reply   
The theory with Faria was that the engine must be running to get 13.6 volts, thereby hours would be actual running hours, not just the ignition left on. In theory, I like it. Just if your voltage does not reach the required point, you miss hours. If the guage recorded hours at 12 volts, it would have endless hours. It does not trigger of the ignition, only when the voltage is hit.
Old    whitechocolate            05-07-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
I was told that the Engine Hrs only ticked off starting at 600 RPmS, So if the ingition is on it would not count as hrs Only when the boat is running/Ideling.

I like you system if that was the case for me I would only have aboutr 10 hrs on my Boat
Old    chadna            05-07-2003, 2:35 PM Reply   
Contact the previous owner of the boat.......He should have some knowledge of what went on, did he sell you the boat saying it only had 50 hrs on it. If he did, I would call my attorney ASAP..........I hate dead beats.....
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-07-2003, 3:02 PM Reply   
The concept of an hour meter that worked based on the alternator voltage seems like a novel idea, but one doomed to fail, especially on a boat that is likely to have a large demand on the 12 volt system (no one hear is likely to have any large power draw, would they????? Like, maybe a few thousand watts of stereo?)

If everything was working right, the 13.6 volt setting would give a clear indication that the engine was running (or connected to a battery charger). The problem is that there are all sorts of ways that you could end up with less than 13.6 volts at the hour meter. Drawing more power than the alternator can provide would be one way. Having a voltage drop from the engine to the dash is another, and this is very common on boats. Plug something into the cigarrette lighter and I would almost guarantee that your voltage at the dash will be low.

I would much rather have an hour meter that told me how long the ingition had been on rather than one that told me how long I have had full charging voltate at the dash.......
Old    chadna            05-07-2003, 8:02 PM Reply   
I agree with Rod.................
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-07-2003, 8:03 PM Reply   
I've got the pilot gauge in my boat and the thing has never worked right. The first gauge didn't work at all. On the second gauge, water temp., outside temp., and hours didn't work. The third gauge works somewhat. I have engine hours, depth finder, and speedo working. In truth, that's all I really care about. Is it only the enine hour function that isn't working?
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2003, 6:50 AM Reply   
Yeah, seems to just be the hour meter. Air and water temp read, speedo is ok, volt meter appears ok, etc... Oh well, it's not too big of a deal anyway, I have been given a work around so I can track my hours on it...

Todd, the previous owner disavows all knowledge.. He said something like I should put the gauge in the blueberry since it would be a perfect fit.
Old     (brd4fun)      Join Date: May 2002       05-08-2003, 7:18 AM Reply   
I being the previous owner deni any knowledge of voltage good or bad. However I must admit the wake was and still is sweet, even for a boat that has wood in it. Maybe that is why it is not working correctly. I think the XL panel is interfering with the voltage.
Chadna, I can not beleive you are going to take that without any retaliation.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
That does make sense, wood has always sucked at conducting electricity...maybe if I can get it waterlogged it would conduct more voltage. I see if that worked with Todd's boat first....
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2003, 7:52 AM Reply   
Rod, It's funny you bring up the charger. Thats is what I was told most people's problem was with this gauge. Hook up a charger over the winter, and bam...200 hours clicked off.
Old    chadna            05-08-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
Keith and Kelsh, I guess your right about the blueberry.......but at least I own it. I would hate to be in the kind of debt you guys are..........WOW. Scary with this shakey economy. Oh, well its almost the 10th of the month start writing them checks..............
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
Just doing my part to help revitalize the economy. George W gave those tax cuts so we would spend, so you might even call it patriotic. I like to think of my debt as a jobs program for bankers and keeping them off the street....
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-12-2003, 5:24 AM Reply   
Kelsh (Brd4fun)
Are you the same one that throws a BIG railey in the "Scrubbs of the South trailer 2".