Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       05-27-2013, 12:33 AM Reply   
A couple buddies are getting into riding a bit, and I want to get a mountain bike. I get a corporate discount on new Diamondback mountain bikes, so I am wondering if they are any good. I'm guessing that like any company, they have bottom end stuff and great stuff.

I come from a BMX racing, dirt jumping, motocross racing, and desert riding background, so I am no stranger to 2 wheels in general. I don't need the best bike, but something that I won't regret spending more to get something better. I like a decent deal, but am not scared to spend a good amount to get something legit. Of the ones listed below, is there a happy medium of "this is a great bike for this price?"

How is sizing determined? I am a big dude at 6" 200lbs, but fit. 32" inseam as measured per instructions at ebicycles.com. Their calculator says I should likely get an 18" bike with 175mm cranks. Looks like most of the Diamondbacks are 17" or 19". Which way should I lean (I'm thinking 19"? - will have the wife re-measure me to confirm inseam...I am drinking and my accuracy may be off haha)

Do mountain bikes typically not include pedals? All the pictures show without pedals. Anything else typically that I would have to buy for the bike to complete it?

Okay now to the offerings (full suspension only) and pricing, grouped by model. There are some availability limitations and the stock fluctuates:

- 2012 Scapegoat $3,000 (website claims list price of $6,000)

I think the rest of these are 2013's:

- Scapegoat $3,600 (list $6,000)

- Mission Pro $2,900 (list $6,000)
- Mission $1,980 (list $3,300)

- Sortie Black 29'er $3,500 (list $7,000)
- Sortie Comp $1,500 (list $2,500)
- Sortie 3 29'er $2,000 (list $4,000)
- Sortie 2 29'er $1,500 (list $3,000)
- Sortie 1 29'er $1,380 (list $2,300)
- Sortie $960 (list $1,900)

- Recoil Pro 29'er $960 (list $1,600)
- Recoil Comp 29'er $560 (list $1,000)
- Recoil 29'er $400 (list $750)

Looking at the componentry (limited knowledge), something like the Recoil looks too basic. Sortie looks mid-level (Rock Shox), Sortie 2 and 3 bump it up to Fox Shocks. Mission and Scapegoat look like their top of the line.

Thanks guys!!
- Danny