Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-07-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
Alright the moment that so many people have been waiting for is finally here! Teddys super air is almost complete! Right now we have the boat fired up and it pounds! There are two 12s going right now and we still have 2 more to go, and 12 more 6x9s. I finally got the boxes completed, and have some pictures for everyone, I will be doing the install tomorrow to finish this thing up and get it tuned in. Here is the breakdown of the install:
(4) 12W7s
(6) XR650-CXIs
(12) Pioneer 6x9s
(4) Orion 2400 XTRs
(2) PPI 4125s
(11)Optima Blue Tops
Lots of neon, and 100s of feet of wiring!
Here goes the pictures:

Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-07-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
Awsome work clay. Thats some very impresive custom installation

Old    mendo247            02-08-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
thats things looking tight! all that wiring looks extremly clean.. nice work.. how many leds are in that thing??
Old    hyperryd            02-08-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
Hey, now you need to have custom, "max capacities", stickers made to go over the old ones. Instead of 10 people or 1450lbs it needs to read 4 persons or 450lbs. Since it now has a half a ton of batteries and sound equipment. I'll bet it sounds awsome though. Nice Work!!!!!!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-08-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
With 2 w7's up under the drivers footwell is there alot of ratteling parts on the dash? Have you ever tried a slotted port box up front? I'm guesssing sealed b/c of the airspace or do you prefer the sound?
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-08-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
Did you have to cut out the front cooler or was it removeable...just wondering...I've thought about taking mine out so I can put lead there, but just haven't looked into that much.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-08-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Hey Richard- there are probly 20 different LEDs placed throughout the boat, and then 9 LED cupholders.

Adam- No the Nautiques have a very sturdy dash, and nothing rattles. The only thing that I have found to rattle in this boat is the latch for the compartment to excess the midship ballast tank. As for the ported enclosures, I have built them, and do like how they sound, but for this install, each of those W7 needed 1.375 cubic feet for a sealed enclosures, so any bigger wouldnt have fit.

Jeremy- when Teddy brought me the boat he had already cut out the front cooler himself, so yeah it did have to be cut out, not a fun job either, the fiberglass dust goes everywhere.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
This boat pounds with only 2 W-7's I was sitting in it the other day at the drivers seet and we were pushing the sub's pretty hard. This thing was shaking my eye ball's. NO JOKE If you would look at somthing and the bass would hit the thing you were looking at would get blury. I thought the digital votmeter at the drivers dash was getting messed up from the bass hitting so hard because the display was moving around. Thats when I found out that it was my eye's getting shook. So Clay tryed it and it did the same thing to hime. Clay and I were laughing hard. So we kept on Booming.

Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-08-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
That is truly impressive...I was curious about the volume for those boxes for the 12W7s. I know the spec volume is 1.375...and that is what I built mine to, however I remember Grant (i think) saying that harold was doing some testing and the 1.0 box hit almost as hard. so I was curious if you were building those dual 12w7 boxes at 1.0 for each 12w7 each or 1.375 each. That impressive install is even more impressive if you are able to fit 2.75 cu ft under each seat.

thanks and keep up the great work and constant innovations
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-08-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
i think i can sum that install up in one word... SICK... just absolutley sick... nice work guys
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
I would have to agree with Grant, I was sitting in the boat with them and my eyes couldn't focus on anything without being blurry. That boat hits harder than Roy Jones Jr.and it isn't even complete yet, with 2 more subs added to the mix and all of the tower speakers that boat is going to be beyond sick.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-08-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
Love the pinstripe work...Very clean install as usual...I want to hear this beast is it gonna be at spring ride?
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-08-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   

Grant - Do ya finance???? Ha man that is SWEET, just wish I had the $$$$ to throw down for that system.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
Hey CAR, isn't your rig the next one in the shop for the "special" treatment?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-08-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
wow, 4 12's, lol.

very nice work fellas.

/edit

can i ask a stupid question? aren't you guys with the big subs under the helm afraid you're going to accidentally kick them or get them wet, etc. while driving and hanging out? or is it just a matter of buying a new one and assuming the risk. the reward is worth the risk so to speak? ;) just curious. again, amazing work.

(Message edited by brucemac on February 08, 2006)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
Yea CARs SAN is @ the shop now. All striped apart and getting ready to have some Bump installed.

No one has kicked a hole is a W-7 yett. "Knocking on Wood" We have thrown some pretty crazy party's on board and no problem's as of yett. You would think that being where they mounted and how they are mounted they would be easy to damage. But when you look at how its mounted the driver would have to have some serious loss of mussle control or a seizure to randomly kick the sub . And if thats the case you need to wear a helmit and ride the small bus to school.

I guess when you have somthing nice you take the extra steps to keep it nice with out thinking.
Its like a guy with a expencieve exotic car. How does his car stay nicer than yours and my'n
Old     (shocker)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-08-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
whAtS rong with the short bus
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2622/shortbusmonster0yu.jpg
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-08-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
Richard- you are right, we have done some testing with a 1.0 cubic foot box, and it does hit about the same. Harolds box under the passenger side that I built for him is 1.0 cf, and so will this boats box under there. The 1.0 has a more punchy sound to it, and the 1.375 has a longer throw, so you get the best of both worlds.

Justin- theres nothin wrong with that short bus!!!
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-08-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
Hey sorry about the "no more" pictures today, I left my camera at my house when I went to the shop today, the tower box looks so sweet up there and proportionate to the tower. Ill post pictures tomorrow once I get all "12" speakers put in!
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
Where do you get the mirrors for inside the box and how do you work cutting them?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-10-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
Im speechless.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-10-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
Wkerat- the mirror inside the boxes is plexi glass(plastic) so its real easy to work with.

Here are some more pictures, the beast is mounted with the 15" flip down, and plexi neon logo in the front. And Im waiting for some silicone to dry in the sub box, so I will post the final picture of the sub box tomorrow.

Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
looking awesome... Where do you find the mirrored plexi? I am working on my sub box now and may want to use it.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-10-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
we get the plexi from a plastic dealer in the bay area. Look in your phone book under plastic.
Old    mendo247            02-11-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
that tower box looks sick all loaded up!
Old     (timber)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Damn Clay,
That is looking sick. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to hear it.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-11-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
omg, that tower box is incredible. great design and layout. wow.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-11-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
How could anyone have a nicer install than that?? By far that is the greatest system I've ever seen..
Nice work Clayton and Grant.. My next boat is going direct from the dealer to your shop!

Old    stillstandin            02-11-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
I love the way those 6X9's sit in the tower box. Nice to see something that original. Very cool.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-11-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
Clayton--
When I was in your shop the other day picking up that ipod cable I was in awe of the beat that boat has . My boat sounds like a transistor radio compared to that. Nice job Clayton.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-11-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
That is by far the siccest box I have ever seen...WOW...Any provisions for camera's in the box?
Old    alanp            02-11-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
why in the world would anyone opt for 6x9's with all the pro audio options. no offense but it seeme like a waste. nice looking box but it should be loaded with pro audio.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
Alan: pro audio speaker's what pro audio speaker are you talking about.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-11-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
Looks killer guys. Bet you are happy to have it done. I also like the flames very different. I bet that sucker pounds and screams.
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-11-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
SICK
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
Man How do you get the batteries to keep a charge? That is insane.
Old    alanp            02-11-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
grant, im talking about eminence, electro voice, etc. much louder and much more efficent. i just dont see car audio being around much longer now that pro audio systems are becoming more popular and available
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-11-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
Here are the final pictures of the sub box inside the boat. This thing is rediculously loud now, My head would rattle with the two, and now with the four in there I can only stand in between them for so long until my head starts pounding!!! I am very suprised at how nice this thing sounds, very clean and crisp.

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-11-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
alan, car audio will always be around. When you go to the pro audio stuff you end up dropping over 2500.00 in the speakers and amps to make them sound like they should. You can get a pretty good system for that. Granted they sound awsome but not many people are willing to spend that on tower speakers. I have heard 1 w7 12 I can't even think of 4. Your going to stop your hart with those.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-11-2006, 11:07 PM Reply   
Squid instead of lead or ballast lets just put subs in my floor? That would be a couple hundred pounds easy.....LOL
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-12-2006, 1:11 AM Reply   
Wow, you guys are amazing....that looks incredible. Cracks me up when I read these threads though.....The way you guys talk about the w7 flux capcitor botaboom botabing I have no idea what your talking about but I enjoy looking at the pics.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-12-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
Alan: to answer your question about the 6X9's. There is a few diffrent types of system's. IMO Pro Audio is more for throwing music 70 feet back sort of a rider's system. 6'1/2 cans and 6X9's are more for people in and around the boat. Teddy's system is more for in and around the boat. Dont get me wrong this this is loud and clear and will run with Pro Audio system's.
Come to the BoatBeats.com boat show and you can listen for yourself. It will be a great event to listen to all types of system's
Old    alanp            02-12-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
gotcha grant. i didnt realize this was mostly for in the boat listening. im just the opposite of most i guess i really dont care about in the boat listening i wanna hear while im riding. anyway still sick. i like the white and red and blue
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-13-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Grant/Clay- What's been your experience with teh direction the subs are facing? I see the passenger side box fires against the outside wall? You have the drivers side firing into the cabin and towrds the bow. Have you experimented with down fire and up fire?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-13-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
Adam: This is the first time we have done a box like Teddy's at the drivers feet. It worked out very well Clay did a amazing job fitting 2 Huge sub's in a aera where most people have trouble stuffing 1. And then add into it that it looks and sounds even better. Because each and every boat is diffrent you cant always do what you did in this boat on the next boat. Its like you can take what you learned from the last system and apply it to the next system but the same results are not a for shure thing. We had no Idea it would work this well. My boat has One W7 at the drivers foot well shooting forward and one at the passenger side shooting back. So it works like the bass is being pushed around the boat. Teddy's boat does that in one aera.
The box at the passenger side was a Copy of a box made for Harrold's SAN. That box worked great in Harrolds boat so we were able to use the same Idea with Teddy's boat. (thanks Harrold)

We have a 2001 SAN at the shop right now. We were planning on doing the same Sub set up in the 2001 SAN as we did in Teddy's 2002 SAN. The thing is the 2001 SAN is 3 inches shorter than the 2002 SAN from the floor to the bottom of the top deck. So we will not be able to do the same system. So were gonna have to start over. This is what I mean when I say every boat is diffrent.
The Sub's in Jasons 209 both face the driver and passenger. They kick pretty good and the SQ is awesome. JL recomends that you DONT shoot the sub's into a wall or corner. JL says that the subs are made to fire into a open aera and that when you use a wall or a corner to help bounce or create bass you can introduce distortion. Some subs need a wall to help, Most subs will sound good when you use a wall or a space to bouce the bass around. I have found that some sub's sound like crap when they are fired into a open aera, Yes they need the pressure from a wall or corner to create bass. Its a crap shoot dealing with sub's like that. You dont know what your gonna get. The up side is that you can possabley discover some crazy combination of sub's and sub direction that might make some killer sound. (and Im sure someone will want to share this combo with us all LOL) Thats what hooking up with other people and seeing and hearing their systems can help, You can get a Idea what a sub here or a sub there or a difffrent amp might re-produce. Every system I see and hear there is somthing that I can take to help me on the next system.
Old     (texasbear08)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-14-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
How did you wire the XR's and the pioneers... i am assuming with the 2 ppi 4125's but how exactly do you run 18 speakers off 8 channels?
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-15-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
Jon-the XRs on the interior are running off two of the channels from one PPI, the 4 down firing Pioneers are powered off of the other two channels on that same amp, and the Rest of the 8 Pioneers are powered by the other 4 channels from the second PPI. With it setup this way, we are able to fade from the tower in to the boat and vise-a-versa, with the fader, and not get blasted by the four down firing 6x9s, with the tower on. I hope this makes sense, seems kinda confusing when I read it.

Hey I forgot to post pictures of the EQ mounted on the dash in a custom carbon fiber trim piece. here they are.

Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-15-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Hey Clay and Grant,

You guys do awesome work, and If I lived closer I would have you put in my system.
I have a question for you though!!

Can you guys make the Carbon Fiber Inserts?
I am picking up a Moomba XLV and want to get some Carbon inserts where the Ingnition switch is and where the toggle pannel is and also maybe where the speedo's are.
Unfortunately I am way down in SOCAL soI can not just leave my boat with you. But if you have the measurements or if I can get you a template or even send you the Original inserts that are in there and you make them from that, could you do it.
Attached is a Pic of what I am talking about:

Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-15-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
CLOSER!!! We'll come pick up your boat! Yea, we can make the inserts for your boat. Ill email you. Thanks
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       02-16-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
E Double U- Are you still located in Murietta? Thats right near LA isnt it? I think its worth the tow up here, many of us do it tow that far just to get to a lake!
:salute:
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-17-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
what kind of eq are you using?
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-18-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
This eq was a PPI PAR650
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-21-2006, 4:28 AM Reply   
Can you wakeboard with this boat or is it just a party boat?

NICE setup!
Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-21-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
YOU GuyS Do Great Work!

I just joined this massage board yesterday to look at systems and i know iv'e come to the right place so many ppl and boat shops i have talked to about systems and screens none of them strike me as wanting to this kinda stuff but they all want this kinda money this is quality craftmanship. I like! Qudo's to you