Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
So I need to pull the plugs out of the engine for him tonight. He has a PCM GT 40 in his 95 Ski Nautique. Just wondering how many plugs this motor has and where they are located? Didnt know if it was anything like the 351 in mine which has 4.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-03-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
block drain plugs?

Should be one in each side of the block, one in each exh manifold, one on the tranny cooler. If you have a J-hose in the front, check it too. may be one in the bottom of it. I've got a 351 too, but they're real close.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Yeah its suppose to get cold tonight so I am going to pull the block plugs. Thats all we have ever had to do to winterize in TX besides disconnect the battery and store it in the garage. I guess if it has a water strainer I will empty that too.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
oh you are in TX also so I guess you know what I mean.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-03-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
100%. She stays in an attached garage doesn't get below 45* in there, so its usually later in the year before I even do that.

You should have a J-hose in the front with a plug in the bottom. As I thought about it, its the only way to get water out of the water pump and front hoses so look for it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-03-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
rockwall, huh? We need to meet halfway and ride when it warms up.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-04-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
yeah definately. I work in Henderson County some too. Got a couple offices out there right near cedar creek and the other right near lake athens. cant remember how far that is from palestine though.

on a side note, my 351 doesnt have a j hose and I dont have a plug my transmission either which I have always thought was kind of weird. My friend just lowered his boat into the water last night to buy us some time. I think we are going to pull it this weekend and then pull the plugs out of the block.
Old     (kylenautique)      Join Date: May 2008       12-04-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
its really easy to do. There 2 block plugs. 9/16 brass plugs on both sides of the engine. Drain them and check if they are clear after the water is done leaking out. Sand can build up and cause it to clog making it look like all the water is out, but really its not. you can use a paper clip to do this. The exhaust manifolds have 2 big brass plugs. I think they are 1in. The big hose attached to the circulating water pump has a 9/16 plug on it at the bottom. Drain it. take both hoses off the raw water pump and drain both. Blow out the bottom hose. The bottom hose goes to the oil cooler and out the bottom of the boat. I usually pour some pink RV anti freeze in the bottom hose and blow it out too. Un-screw the strainer and drain it too. Make sure you drain your heater if the boat has one. If there is a hot water shower, make sure you run it until all the water comes out. the engine will be good to go for cold weather.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-08-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
Im In Rockwall Too. I havent drained my boat yet. I talked to Phil @ Buxton because I need to take her in and get a couple of things fixed but he said it has to be cold for several days to do damage. Plus I keep mine in a climate storage. We Need to Ride some time. I just Moved to Rockwall 6 months ago so need a new crew.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-08-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
bhog you got a PM.