Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-02-2012, 6:25 PM Reply   
Im not seeing an X1 in the line up for 2013, is mastercraft really going to stop production of this classic hull?
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-02-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
Yep it is gone.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-02-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
I read it was discontinued because the ilmor engines wouldn't fit. Not sure if there's any truth to that.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-02-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
I heard that the Ilmor was too tall and MC didn't want to sink money into redoing the deck.
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-02-2012, 7:21 PM Reply   
There will still be the X1zero though correct?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-02-2012, 7:34 PM Reply   
Matt. I havent heard anything and if you are right, why couldnt they have a raised sunpad. it would be cheap and easy to design a lifted sunpad, just a few inches.

anyhow, bummer. but a good thing for anyone trying to get rid of a 205v boat. it will keep used boat prices high for a while.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-02-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeysk8er222 View Post
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
Matt. I havent heard anything and if you are right, why couldnt they have a raised sunpad. it would be cheap and easy to design a lifted sunpad, just a few inches.

anyhow, bummer. but a good thing for anyone trying to get rid of a 205v boat. it will keep used boat prices high for a while.
Hey, just reporting what I heard from a few people in the boat industry and a friend that works in NC. Perhaps you should ask Mastercraft, good luck getting an honest answer though.

To be honest, its my opinion MC was looking for a reason to get rid of the X1/205 to help drive X2 sales as its price-point wake boat. (At a significantly higher price) They did redesign the deck on the X2, I wonder if it was for clearance.

Last edited by MattieK27; 02-02-2012 at 8:23 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-02-2012, 9:09 PM Reply   
The Ilmor excuse is a weak one. They had the same issue with the X14V but they didn't suddenly cancel that boat... They simply raised the sun pad. It looks a little odd, but they made it happen.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-02-2012, 11:47 PM Reply   
exactly DBC. Thats what I was saying.

MC can do what they want, but I think it is a bummer to let go a great hull making their "entry" level wakeboat $65K+ and doesnt even have as good of a wake.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-03-2012, 5:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeysk8er222 View Post
X1zero was not created by mastercraft corporate. I think even mastercraft understands that a $200k boat that runs for 90min on a charge isn't not going to sell.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-03-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
To be honest, its my opinion MC was looking for a reason to get rid of the X1/205 to help drive X2 sales as its price-point wake boat. (At a significantly higher price) They did redesign the deck on the X2, I wonder if it was for clearance.
I think this is exactly the reason they got rid of the x1. I've heard they stay pretty backed up at the factory all of the time. Why waste time making the less profitable x1 when they can make x25s and x55s all of the time?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-03-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
I was at surf expo and looking at the new X Star and asked that very question about the ilomar to a couple guys standing there in MC shirts. He said no the engine would fit fine it was just time to put a bullet in it. Thats an exact quote. Here is a thread from over at MC team talk. You can see my x star and comments there as well as others.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=43681&page=2
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-03-2012, 10:28 AM Reply   
What I find truly amazing is the big three continue to not listen to customers, have problems, and people still support them. Mastercraft has had how many tower issues, kill a boat that still sold well with varying explinations, and have yet to deliver on their next big thing. Nautique has had their share of tower problems with the most recent design and killed off their own original (and still popular) wake hull a few years back. Malibu has had a serious issue with build quality as the investment group that bought them before the economy crash has dictated a shorter build timeline to help push product and make the books look more attractive.

On the other hand, we have a growing number of smaller companies that are willing to do things that customers ask and have consistently improved their quality to levels approaching the big three. Tige and MB are the two brands that come to mind. I guess my point is, when will the attitude and issues (and the premium price) become enough to shift the buying public away from the big three and to the other brands?
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-03-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any hard evidence that it was selling well in the final years? I don't know but when I toured the factory in 2010 I did not see a single X1 on the property and there were lots of boats there. I hadn't seen any at the dealerships as well.

Now I'm not hating on the the 205v -- We had a 2004 X2 and put close to 1000 fun-filled hours on it, but it was getting a little long in the tooth compared to the newer models. It seems to me that it competed directly with the X14V and therefore one of them had to go. Besides, if you want a 205V hull there are plenty of them in the secondary market...
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-03-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
Shawn I don't doubt that there is some truth to your statement. I think most of us were happy we could still buy the quality of and MC, Sante or Setter for under 50k or in that range a boat that threw KILLER worldclass wakes. The 14v and the 200 are nice boats but in my opinion do not throw the wakes these old hulls did and at a fair price point. Realistically they were the last boats these manufacturers built for the average boat buyer which at 50k is far above average. So that leaves the rest of us to either wait 7 to 10 years to get the boat they want at that price or move on to Axis, Tige, MB, Supra etc. Which is why you see Texas MC pick up MB arguably one of the largest if not the largest MC dealer in the country.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-03-2012, 1:06 PM Reply   
for what it is worth the Mastercraft dealer that I worked with to buy my boat told me that the X1 was not selling as well because people where buying larger boats. the demand for the 25 and the X2 was far surpassing the demand for the X1. they were sad to see the X1 go because it was a good boat for someone who just wanted to wakeboard and did not need or want a larger boat

Also for what it is worth I just bought my boat this year from mastercraft and they were great to work with, accomodated pretty much any request that I had. However the main reason I went with Mastercraft is because the dealer is Texas Ski Ranch and they have great support, great service department, etc... I have always been believing in buying local and buying from companies that have the pride to represent the product well. They were also very honest with me about the issues that some mentioned in this thread and steered me towards different configurations so I would not have to deal with those issues.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-03-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^ You can post without telling us which MC you purchased.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       02-03-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
The X1 Zero is a third party not MasterCraft as stated above. The Ilmor motor is wider not taller, plus with the new epa tank and carbon can it would leave very little room for anything else. It was just time as few were sold in the last couple years and it is over a decade old.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-03-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
I love my 05 x2 but wouldve like to see MC redesign the top deck. I say instead of doing away with this boat they shouldve shortened up the lockers and engine bay like the current x2 and given the boat full wrap around seating, They couldve made this boat feel more roomey for those wanting more room in a smaller boat. I came from a sanger v210 and it felt bigger to me then my x2 but i love the wake on my x2.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-04-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=MattieK27;1729718] Nautique has had their share of tower problems with the most recent design and killed off their own original (and still popular) wake hull a few years back.

What problems is Nautique having? Do you feel the old hull is better than the new hulls?
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-04-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=mhunter;1729917]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
Nautique has had their share of tower problems with the most recent design and killed off their own original (and still popular) wake hull a few years back.

What problems is Nautique having? Do you feel the old hull is better than the new hulls?
Here we go again.

Listen I am a Nautique fan, but just because I like their boats and that's what I would buy in a "money is no object" world, it doesn't mean they are perfect. The newest tower that was on the '11 and '12 models needed a fix to help add rigidity and trust me, it wasn't pretty. To me, that is unacceptable on a higher level brand. You are really opening a can of worms with the hull (not plural, I was only referring to one hull here) comment, especially considering you own the new style 210. I will put it this way, some prefer the wake on the older model 210, and many were surprised they didn't keep the old version around as a stablemate to the new 210 much like Mastercraft did with the original Xstar/205V/X1.

Last edited by MattieK27; 02-04-2012 at 6:45 AM.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-04-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
I had the first SAN 210 ever made...custom ordered and waited 6 months for them to build it. I agree that wake was super fun, but it had zero transition/landing area. As an old lady with two bad knees, I wish they had changed the hull much sooner. I love my '09 SAN, but totally agree with you about the tower issues on the newer models and the cheesy fix they installed.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-04-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
I'm sorry I am not aware of any problem with the new tower after the drain hole freeze issue in 09. I read a lot I cant believe I missed such a big problem.Can you direct me to more information on this subject so I can get up to speed. Back to subject Discontinuing old models in favor on new [hopefully for the better] Will always be met with some discontent but that is how progress is made. What was the premier hull before the X1? Over all I think change is good . My 08 is much better than my 89 but probably not as good as a 2012.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-04-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
I'm sorry I am not aware of any problem with the new tower after the drain hole freeze issue in 09. I read a lot I cant believe I missed such a big problem.Can you direct me to more information on this subject so I can get up to speed. Back to subject Discontinuing old models in favor on new [hopefully for the better] Will always be met with some discontent but that is how progress is made. What was the premier hull before the X1? Over all I think change is good . My 08 is much better than my 89 but probably not as good as a 2012.
I cant help but read this post as loaded with sarcasm, I really hope that's not the case. Progress is made with new models, and I am not saying they should have just stayed with the old design. If customers are ready and willing to buy the old boat, why not continue side by side for a few years with the new one? Maybe they could sell more boats and not have to keep jacking up the price year after year to meet financial goals.

I guess you missed this thread regarding the tower issues...
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...r-coming-loose
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-04-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
Thank you for the link . I was not being sarcastic just ignorant . I wonder is Skiers Choice is having the same problem now that they have adopted to Roswell tower on the Supra. I think the added cost of building both old and new designs at the same time would only drive up the cost of both.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-04-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
After a period of years I'm sure MC felt it was time to retire the X-1 hull similar to when BMW changed the M3 after 2006 even though the 2001-2006 M3 was a huge favorite with many BMW lovers. (like me)

MC still has the mold so who knows what the future will bring?