Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-04-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
Will learning my first w2w tricks on a 80' rope/handle hurt me in the long run?

Even straight w2w jumps at this length with ballast and 20-22 mph feel big right now.

A shorter setup would make w2w 1's and 3's come quicker, but again, what's better in the long run?

sorry- - didn't search the archives this time
Old    xtremebordgurl            01-04-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
whatever feels most comfortable to you, its a presonal preference thing. I would think starting with a longer line will help you learn to go bigger cause you have a greater distance that you need to clear, if you're happy with 80' I'd stick with it, but if its like a pain in the butt and a miserable experience, I'd shorten it. I remember WBM had a good article a while ago (a yr or two? I have no sense of time..) about line length, if you can get your hands on it I think that will answer all your q's, if you can't find it let me know cause I know I have it somewhere arround here. Good luck and have fun!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-04-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
80 feet is long for a beginner. If you are riding 80 feet you need to be riding at 23+ mph in order to clear the wake. Start with a shorter rope and learn a progressive short cut. When you can start about 4 feet outside the wake, rail it, and still clear both wakes you are at the right length. The basics are very important and when it comes time to learn switch (which is easier to do in the beginning) you will need a shorter rope.

Can you jump toeside cleanly yet?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-05-2004, 6:37 AM Reply   
65 for a beginner.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-05-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
That article said it's good for beginners to ride at 80' or longer because they can start jumping and not worry about casing the second wake. They will land in the middle and have a softer landing. Then when they progress they can shorten the rope to 70-75' and easily clear the wake. Also with a shorter rope things feel quicker in the air. The longer rope gives you a little more time to complete the trick.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-05-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
i agree becuase than you get a slower aproach also based upon a pendulum theory. if they want to learn how to land the flats, you want the 65.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-05-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
wilson has it right, just to get them used to air, you put the line out, and when you feels there ready for w2w shorten it way up(60-65 feet). But it also depends on the boat, some of us aren't lucky enough to ride a boat with a wake 80 feet back. so you have to adapt to each situation so the rider can learn the quickest.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-05-2004, 7:31 AM Reply   
All - thanks for the input

Peter - toeside w2w doesn't feel clean, but I do get across at that length. Without ballast, I can land a TS, FS 180 w2w most of the time. Switch feels aweful, and switch jumps are always small and sketchy. Just tried my first HS half-cab over the holidays and didn't stomp it. Can't get/hold a decent edge switch. As far as the progressive edge, it's pretty good from years of slalom.

Maybe the answer is to go short until the impact of landing in the flats just gets too annoying.

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-05-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
Toeside is what usually dictates my rope length. If I am struggling to clear the second wake I go 5 feet in. You should be riding at the most 75 feet, 70 if you are going to try clearing the wake switch.

Slalom skiers can become great wakeboarders once they completely learn to undo what they learned. The hard fast cut of a slalom ski is the opposite of what a wakeboarder should be doing. Get an instructional video and watch it over and over, especially the basics.

One of the best training tools, I do myself and get others to do, is too start at the wake and cut out as far as possible and hold the cut for a long time. Do this on all 4 edges (switch and regular). You will quickly fall (doesn't hurt), but will also find your balance points. Do this right before trying your half cab and it will help. Try hard to focus on learning switch riding even more than going big regular or learning grabs, and it will pay off in the long run.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-05-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
'Try hard to focus on learning switch riding even more than going big regular or learning grabs, and it will pay off in the long run.'

This makes sense. Might not be fun for me or the people in the boat, but it makes sense. When I busted the first TS 1, I thought all the 1's were going to come easy. Unfortunately, I forgot that I'd never ridden switch for any period of time (surf, skate or snow). I've since learned to do surface 1's and even a slo-mo surface blind 3, but it's time to stop skipping the basics.}

I like the 4-edge sequence idea too. And yes, it's time for Detention or Higher Education.