Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mission)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-02-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
Hi Everyone. New to the site.. looks good..

Looking at a 2001 Malibu VLX or a 2004 Centurion Storm series. Both about the same money stock ballast..

Looking for a boat for surfing, wake boarding and knee boarding. Mainly for kids 13 and 15. Nothing hardcore at all.. Just looking for overall feedback on these two boats and which one would you buy based on quality and performance.

Thanks for looking,,
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-03-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
I can't comment on the centurion, but I owned a 2002 vlx and I loved that boat. Used it for everything, tubing, slalom, wakeboarding, surfing. Etc. Had stock motor, ballast, no wedge, and it was great. Great for partying and family events. I know i'm biased, but that boat did everything and never had one problem with thee boat other than the steering cable needing replacement. Definitely need sacs for surfing though
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-03-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Malibu
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-03-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
What Centurion is it? The Storm Series is kinda a package instead of a model. Probably an Avalanche (a popular model) and that is a great boat. We love ours. Great surf wake, good wakeboard wake, cuts through chop, solid. Vinyl quality is not the best but the build quality seams really good.
What engine is in both? How many Hours? IF both is in the same condition I would go with the Centurion (if it is the Avalanche), because it is newer.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-03-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
yeah, we need to know what Centurion model. Elite V, Avalanche, Cyclone, Typhoon, etc??? If it is an Elite V I would choose the VLX over it everytime. If it is an Avalanche I would choose it over the VLX if surfing was a bigger priority or I would probably choose the VLX if wakeboarding was a priority. If it is a cyclone it would be a tough call if surfing was a priority but wakeboarding I would choose the VLX.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2011, 12:47 PM Reply   
Another thing to consider are the dealers and repair shops near you. The closest indmar (which is the motor the Malibu has) dealer to me is an hour away, but there is a merc (which is the motor the Centurion has) across the street from me. That made me choose Centurion for my first boat. All things being equal, I'd go with the Malibu over most Centurion models. The Malibu wakeboarding wake is really good and you can definately get a decent surf wake out of the vlx.
Old     (mission)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-03-2011, 8:55 PM Reply   
Hi guys

thanks for the info

it is a centurion elite.. Hours are the same, money is the same, centurion is 3 years newer..

Same options.

Thanks a bunch
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-03-2011, 10:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mission View Post
Hi guys

thanks for the info

it is a centurion elite.. Hours are the same, money is the same, centurion is 3 years newer..

Same options.

Thanks a bunch
The Centurion Elite V was and is not known for doing anything very good. I believe it needs a ton of weight for surfing and is really finicky and hard to get a clean wake for wakeboarding. The Elite V is probably worth about 20-22.5 in my opinion and the VLX should be worth somewhere around 25k depending on shape, hours and options.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-04-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
If you plan to do more wakeboarding then definitely the Malibu.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
run from the elite V..I spent about 200 hours behind my buddies and it was an endless battle trying to get the wake to clean up. The toe side wake was washed out 99% of the time. I've heard of a few guys taking sledge hammers to the rudders to try to help clean up the wake. He eventually got rid of it. Also with the slanted nose it was prone to taking water over the bow.
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-06-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
I would go with the Malibu then, the elite has a small interior also IMO.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-06-2011, 4:44 PM Reply   
2001 malibu? no way 2002 is a different design and then another hull design in 2005
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-07-2011, 5:39 AM Reply   
as an Elite V owner, I would not contemplate taking a sledge hammer to the rudder. I haven't surfed behind it, but the wakeboard wake is solid. It's not huge, but it gets the job done for me. It doesn't seem finicky side to side, but I think it is weight sensitive as to having too much weight in the rear.
Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-07-2011, 6:30 AM Reply   
I rode mine for 2 summers put over 350 hours on it. While it was fun it was also a pain in the rear end trying to dial in the wake. Finally toward the end figured out that the boat didn't like a lot of weight in the back. I had two 500 in the rear and c shaped bow sack under the seat in the front and thats all it could take. More than that and the wake would wash out. Mine was a 2003 model sold it for 18k 500 hours just to get out of it. I wouldn't pay over 20, for that elite v.
Attached Images