Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    johndeer            08-26-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
The new fish board is up at www.wakeside.com. I think that it looks like it would be fun to ride with the exaggerated center beam. What do you think? A gimmick? Also, it only comes in smaller sizes... do you think it is meant to be ridden shorter and wider?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
If it's a brand new idea and design, it's GOT to be a gimmick! Those bastards.....
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-26-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
lol....J-Rod.
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-26-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
it is designed to be ridden 10 inches shorter than what you usually ride
Old    joe49er            08-26-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
http://www.burton.com/burton/gear/products.asp?productID=3
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-26-2004, 4:11 PM Reply   
Joe - I think they are talking about the Liquid Force Fish board.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-26-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-26-2004, 4:52 PM Reply   
sry i meant 10 centimeters***
Old     (above_the_levee)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-26-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
probly the same concept as a fish surfboard, meant more for a loose ride and easier to throw down on...i don't know about loose with 8 fins though..hmmmm.....
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-26-2004, 5:05 PM Reply   
the 133 is the only model with 8 fins the other sizes hhave just 4. i would take off the extra fins on the 133 if i bought that size
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-26-2004, 5:48 PM Reply   
William,

they all have 8 fins its just in that pic of the 129 it doesn't show them... go to www.wake.com.au and go to LF boards and go Fish close up and its got colin harrington holding the 129 and its got 8 fins
Old    johndeer            08-26-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
it looks pretty sick to me... i can't wait to try it out. Wakeside.com rates it as the most aggressive board in the lf line and also has the top rated pop.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-27-2004, 6:17 AM Reply   
its for "free riding" only. which NOBODY knows what exactly it is. i dont know how to "free ride", so i'll stick with my gonzales.
Old     (cam)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-27-2004, 7:06 AM Reply   
toolfan- freeriding is what you do when your not following a format in competition.
You dont really care if you fall in free riding, and can try to go a lot bigger.
Riders usually dont go near as big in comps as they do freeriding.
Take a look at the photos from the doubleup comp from a few months back. Yes it was a comp, but it allowed the riders to "freeride" as falls didnt matter, they had 20 minutes to do what they liked. If they landed the one massive trick they could win it.
We explained this to you last time you asked what is freeriding.
Does it make sense now?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-27-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
I was being sarcastic, but thanx for the insight. I realize that riders dont "let it all hang out" in comps.

I think the board design is cool, but somewhere I read it was designed for "free riding". WTF. How does the shape augment your free riding experience? The description about the board just seemed really lame at the time. I DO like the board though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-27-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
That was funny...
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2004, 7:26 AM Reply   
Dare I say it?
Marketing... gimmick?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-27-2004, 7:36 AM Reply   
dont go there.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
Oh, and is it just me, or does this seem strangely reminiscent of LF's introduction of the first "Squirt" years ago, a board design that swept the industry and changed the way all manufacturers thought about board shapes (i.e., ushering in the "short and fat" revolution). I'm not suggesting that it's a bad thing, it's just interesting. Hey, if a movie makes a zillion dollars, you produce a sequel, right?

And just to clarify (as I realize many on here seem to have trouble recognizing sarcasm), my previous post was not intended to imply that the board design itself is a "gimmick," rather, I was talking about LF's marketing strategy and kind of agreeing with toolfan: "but somewhere I read it was designed for "free riding". WTF. How does the shape augment your free riding experience? The description about the board just seemed really lame at the time."
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-27-2004, 7:50 AM Reply   
ditto.

there needs to be a smiley face thing that denotes sarcasm. dry humor doesnt have the same affect on paper.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-27-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
I can't wait to ride this board. I'm about 6 foot, 185 lbs, and I was riding the Super Squirt 128 as late as last year. The fact that Jimmy has shaped a short wide board with today's design advances is great. I think the Fish is gonna be great.
Old     (cam)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-28-2004, 12:01 AM Reply   
I was the one who said the riders where loving this board for freeriding.
This was the info passed on from the LF distributor who was in the US and talking to all the riders about the new boards.
From what I can gather it was a little too unpredictable at the moment for them to use in comps, especially mid season for you guys, but they were loving the pop and soft landings they were getting in freeride.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-29-2004, 6:02 AM Reply   
in relentless, they land all the normal tricks...so I guess board shapes really depend on preference. Shane was still doing OA 7's w2w. watson was doing BS 5's wake 2 wake. Everyone was landing smooth and taking off smooth. I really think skill level is more important then what board you ride. The board is just preference.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-29-2004, 7:06 AM Reply   
They looked like they were landing hard but I guess that makes sense considering how small the board is.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-30-2004, 7:57 AM Reply   
I don't really care how they market it - I just want to ride it to find out. Props to LF for dropping something a little different.
Although, I don't know if I'd go ten CM's smaller. That'd mean I'd need a 124-6 and it just doesn't seem right.
Old     (cs1094)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
The PHATTY will always be the greatest short fat board ever produced! Does anyone have dimentions on this fish?
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-30-2004, 8:40 AM Reply   
Isn't landing hard a function of surface area? The fish is shorter, sure but its much wider from my understanding.

Someone with some math skills should run a surface area comparison.
Old     (itsme)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-30-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
the Fish actually is quite a bit different than the old Squirt and Phattys-
1 - It has a "v" style bottom. This helps put the wider board up on edge it also helps soften landings by "pushing" the water out from the board instead of slapping like a big flat board.
2 - The fins on the Fish will be custom. Kind of a cross between a long base fin and a Trip side fin (angled)
3 - This board POPS! The wider the board, the higher you go. The Fish is about 2.5" wider than a normal wakeboard.
All in all, this is a really fun shape to ride. The Fish is designed to be completely different than all other boards and succeeds. Check it out!
Old    mark_ward            08-30-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
I have had the chance to ride the 129 four times now and love it. Although it took some getting used to, but I rode it just as good or better than my substance 138. The landings are very forgiving, and for some reason it seems easier to do spins with. The "pop" is good, but it is an continuious rocker, so you have to charge the wake a little harder to get it. My favorite things about the board are how well and quick it edges, and how forgiving the landings are. It's a real fun board and I suggest that if you try one out, don't just give it a 15 minute session and then make your own judgements on how you like it. You need to at least take 3 good sessions on it to get the feel of it and you will be surprized at how much your opinion has changed from when you took the first session.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-30-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
Weird, could have sworn I posted....

That deep V interests me. I can see how it would help get the board on the rail. Heck it works in surfboard design.

Ramey, you may be right.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2004, 10:50 PM Reply   
I want to ride one.
Old    obsurfer            08-31-2004, 1:57 AM Reply   
Ahh its not a true fish if it doesn't have a deep v cut and plywood fins. But since its a wakeboard drop the plywood fins. Fish surfboards don't have a deep v bottom this makes them fast on the edge you have it on but slower going from one rail side to the other. Darn I need to get out and wakeboard more.
Old    essy            08-31-2004, 4:19 AM Reply   
Mark - i currently ride a 04 Trip 133 and want to trade up for the Fish 133/129. how different do you think it would be, since i can't demo the Fish over here in HK. Thx.