Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-24-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
My boats an 07 MasterCraft with four JL tower speakers, and the factory setup besides an extra JL marine sub. I'm in need of new amps or just one if it can do the job. I'm don't need to stay with JL amps. Im open to other options if they are tough amps being that I only ride in salt.

Thanks guys
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
Parker,
Given the salt water/salt air I would stay with JL Audio marine amplifiers. You may have an existing six and two channel amplifier. In any case, we usually maintain 100 percent of what is on the boat because it's all great equipment. However, we reconfigure what is there and supplement with one additional amplifier in order to expand the speaker performance. And there are other needed upgrades, primarily sub wire and amplifier supply cable. The factory systems always need re-tuning. A few tweaks can make a major difference.
Which amplifiers do you have and do you have four or six in-boat speakers?

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
I have six in boat speakers
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Parker,
Then I'm guessing you have a two-channel amplifier driving the four tower speakers and a six-channel amplifier bridged into five channels and driving the six in-boat speaker plus the subwoofer.
You'll have to explain how the extra subwoofer is driven.
It wouldn't hurt to hear what your expectations and objectives are.
Also, do two of the tower speakers contain halogen lamps? This can pertain to the audio portion since those pods are not airtight.
David
Earmark Marine
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-25-2012, 7:21 PM Reply   
I'm running a wetsounds HT6 in my 06 star for the interior and a wetsounds SYN2 to 4 rev8's on the tower. I've been happy with wetsounds and there great customer service.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2012, 12:42 AM Reply   
David,

My extra sub is driven by a jl mono amp non marine. Sorry not sure the name. I'm not trying to blast anyone out of the water. Some of the channels on my amps aren't working anymore( claims the audio shop) so just replacing them so they sound good. The tower speakers do not have any lights In them, and I would like for them to be a little louder then they currently are.
Thanks David
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   
Parker,
I'd rather not get between you and your local audio shop but here are a few general suggestions that you might pass on.
When an amplifier has a failed channel it often stays in protection as a whole so have any amplifier in question bench checked independent of the boat. And know the exact problem BEFORE replacement. Just as an example, if you have an overhead drink holder that is leaking into the compartment then you would want to run a drain hose into the bilge before installing a new amplifier. Also, the factory supply cable is routinely too light and this makes the amplifiers run hotter and heat kills.
If you must change amplifiers then convert over to the JL Audio Class D models for 60 percent more efficiency.
The JL Audio tower speakers are terribly under-powdered in the factory scheme. Presently, you have no idea what you have. Now the existing four JL Audio 7.7s on the tower are never going to be dominant at wake range (they're just not that type of speaker) but they are an amazing sound quality speaker and will absolutely come to life with twice the power that they are currently receiving. These speakers are rated at 175 watts and we like to give them every bit of that in consideration of the fact that they are on the tower (a very demanding role) and running highpass, which offers a little protection.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
David,
I really appreciate your help. I don't exactly trust my local audio place. I took her into replace my aux input being that I have to adjust the cord every five seconds to have all the speakers that do work play. agreed on a price, then about on hour later got a call that I needed all new amps, which would be 1000. I told them forget it, and came in to get my boat.They tried charging me double what my quoted price was for the aux input. They did not even replace the aux, all they did was tell me I needed new amps. They wanted to charge me 200 so i hope they bench tested the amps. Got to my boat, and none of my audio worked. no tuner, no CD, no aux. went back in and they said i had to sign a paper for them to hook my amps back up incase they all go bad tomorrow its not their fault. Unfortunately their the only boat audio place around. Just went to the boat and checked my amps. The one running the single sub is a JL G1300. I didn't see any labels for the marine, but took a pic.
We are the second owner of the boat so i suspect the previous owner had some we things in there that could have possibly gotten to the amps. If you have specific JL amps you would suggest I would love to hear them.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
\
Attached Images