Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old     (flapjack)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-19-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
What is the purpose of this division? I'm not knocking it; I just don't get it.

Wide Ski Ride Super Fun – 32 off & up @30 mph

I've never ridden a wide ski, and I've certainly never taken one through the course.

I have a Response, and the wake is rugged at 26mph, okay at 28mph, and it gets much better 30mph and up. I'd think people would rather go a little faster for the better wake.

Is this an issue with my wake, or is this something with my particular boat.

If there is something magic about these wide skis, what would you recommend for my wife... an athletically built, fit, trim, 5'8" gal (like how I avoided mentioning her weight?).
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-19-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
Wide Ski's are pretty fun. Not so much to do with the wake, as these skis are for people that don't slice all the way through the wake. Your examples are pretty much the reason, it allows for slower speeds, which in turn allow for greater chance at running the course and cutting back and forth. It also allows people to shortline when they normally wouldn't on a normal ski at faster speeds.

Wide skis are easier for beginners, and more user friendly to heavier skiers. I have one to help teach people to slalom. Now a days most performance beginner skis have this wider technology implemented into them.

INT does this so that the dad and mom who are there because they brought their kids now have something to do at the competition, as well as something to try while their out on the water with the family, it's getting the whole family involved in the fun.
Old     (flapjack)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-19-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
I understand the role of wide skis at 15' off.

I am asking why someone would want to go down to 32' off at 30 mph instead of increasing speed to 32 or 34.

Is there something more fun to run the course at 30mph? The wake is a lot better at 34mph
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-19-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Most of the people wouldn't run anything at a faster speed. It's just a set standard.