Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 4:19 PM Reply   
I have been looking at boats for a while and talked with several people over the phone about coming and looking at there boats. Man when it comes to me asking for a test drive that's where virtually no one I have talked to is interested in going any further. Am I missing something here? I would never buy a boat, car, or any damn thing without a test drive. I also wouldn't expect someone not to want one if I was selling my boat. I even had a guys wife yelling in the back ground saying, no way, no way, you want the boat come get it as is! (LOL crazy b*&%$) Maybe just a run of bad luck, but my God has anyone else ran into this? I am in the market for a sanger dlx trying to stay under 15k. Also would consider a ps 205 or sunssetter lx. My expectations are under 500 hours, clean, no major problems, everything must work, regular maintenance, etc.

Joel
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 4:37 PM Reply   
If someone is so adamant about you not driving it before purchasing I'd run away. I don't have any experience with boats in this department but my rule of thumb is if it has a motor you should be able to test it before buying. I've had people act odd when it comes to maintenance records and having a mechanic check out the vehicle. I just move on to the next one if I see that. No telling what they are trying to hide. Especially if you hear the wife yelling in the background lol.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 4:39 PM Reply   
I probably wouldn't buy a boat without a test drive unless it was a smoking deal and it didn't need to run or the buy gave some type of guarantee.

Where are you located. If it somewhere where boats are winterized I could see people being reluctant if the boat is still in storage but other than that it seems strange.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 4:43 PM Reply   
Also if you are picking boats that are priced way under market price then there may be a reason for that price. People may be trying to either dump something that doesn't work or could be looking for a quick sale without the hassel of test drives etc.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-21-2016, 4:46 PM Reply   
Maybe re-phrase how you are asking for the test drive. Look at it and tell them you want to buy it contingent on a test drive. Give a deposit to show you are serious. I can see both sides. I had a boat that I gave 2 test drives and all parties wanted to buy it, but could not get credit approved. Literally ate up 2 days of time. I know make sure they are serious and ready to move forward with the purchase before spending the day demoing. If you follow those steps and still no test drive, then I would run...
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-21-2016, 5:59 PM Reply   
75% of the people i ever had come to buy any of my boats wasted my time, where rude, and stupid. I will never do it again. I trade them in and never look back. My life is too short to deal with it. If it was a solid lead from a reliable source them maybe. You have to understand, there is a 40 something group of buyers then a the 20 somethings, my last BU vlx, i must have had 15 kids calling me. I hope you find what you want and get to test drive it, but i would make you write a deal, have the funds secured then make the test drive contingent to the sale. You agree after the test drive, its yours. If not , the seller is pulling the boat to the lake, dirtying it, then having to pull it out and clean it, etc etc no way
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 6:45 PM Reply   
@ diggs I phrased it just how you were saying. I told everyone, look I'm serious if it is in said condition and tests out its a done deal or at bare minimum a serious offer. A test drive is also my one thing that I will not budge on is a test drive. I have cash saved so financing isn't a problem. Since I am mostly after a sanger dlx almost every person lives in CA, and say that there aren't lakes very close to them. (1h15min away) and that would require a lot of planning. Or one lady said she had never heard of someone test driving a boat and it must have just been because we have lakes that are close here.(LOL) Of course I have told them I would offer money for gas and their time if needed. One thing that is tough too is that I am located in Wichita, KS but I am willing to travel to California for the right boat, and it seems now the right owner willing to deal with me. Frustrating part is that I'm serious, have the money, and most people I have spoken to so far are reluctant to test drive. I would have bought on two seperate occasions if it would have ran ok and no signs of problems, but they wouldn't let me test run.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 6:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blamey View Post
I probably wouldn't buy a boat without a test drive unless it was a smoking deal and it didn't need to run or the buy gave some type of guarantee.

Where are you located. If it somewhere where boats are winterized I could see people being reluctant if the boat is still in storage but other than that it seems strange.
I agree on all points
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 6:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
75% of the people i ever had come to buy any of my boats wasted my time, where rude, and stupid. I will never do it again. I trade them in and never look back. My life is too short to deal with it. If it was a solid lead from a reliable source them maybe. You have to understand, there is a 40 something group of buyers then a the 20 somethings, my last BU vlx, i must have had 15 kids calling me. I hope you find what you want and get to test drive it, but i would make you write a deal, have the funds secured then make the test drive contingent to the sale. You agree after the test drive, its yours. If not , the seller is pulling the boat to the lake, dirtying it, then having to pull it out and clean it, etc etc no way
I get your point, I guess where I am different is that I won't ask on something I think I might be interested in. If I am going to drive that far of a distance and the boat checks out, done deal. There are sadly a lot of jokers out there who try to low ball and waste time. There are also people that say there is nothing wrong or the boat is pristine, or immaculate. Then upon checking it out, there are small items broken, stitching coming apart, scratches dings in gel coat. So much for "immaculate". All this being said I do get your point and understand you just saving a headache and trading.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 6:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlzelenik View Post
If someone is so adamant about you not driving it before purchasing I'd run away. I don't have any experience with boats in this department but my rule of thumb is if it has a motor you should be able to test it before buying. I've had people act odd when it comes to maintenance records and having a mechanic check out the vehicle. I just move on to the next one if I see that. No telling what they are trying to hide. Especially if you hear the wife yelling in the background lol.
Yeah I couldn't believe her. The husband just said well thats my wife and what she says goes even though he told me I could run it. Glad I double checked before wasting time and money driving 20 plus hours one way. He is also a lawyer so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. (LOL)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-21-2016, 7:36 PM Reply   
It's a major purchase, used, and it needs to do the job you are buying it for. Test it. Seems simple.

I have walked away from dealers that needed me to sign a purchase agreement before a test drive.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 8:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
It's a major purchase, used, and it needs to do the job you are buying it for. Test it. Seems simple.

I have walked away from dealers that needed me to sign a purchase agreement before a test drive.
I would have done the same. That's crazy that you have to agree to buy something you have never tested before the fact. I will leave that to the people who have stupid amounts of money or people who are plain stupid, or both.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 8:13 PM Reply   
One reason I wanted to see what others thought was that II was second guessing myself to a degree. I now know for sure that my gut was telling me the right thing. I don't think that I am being unreasonable at all for wanting to test drive. On top of that, that is a huge purchase at least it is to me. I just want a darn good boat that will treat me and my family right.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-22-2016, 6:53 AM Reply   
I had the exact opposite experience. ha I got a good enough deal on a year old A22 that even if it had a minor issue or two it still would have been worth it. The dealership I bought it from INSISTED that I take it for a test drive after I told them it wasn't necessary.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 7:02 AM Reply   
Up your price to 18k and you can come test drive my sanger all day. Get you into a nice v210 mechanically sound as all hell w/perfect pass/shark skin plus cover/well maintained😉
Attached Images
 
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 7:03 AM Reply   
Yep
Attached Images
 
Old    cheesesteak            04-22-2016, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shay View Post
@ diggs I phrased it just how you were saying. I told everyone, look I'm serious if it is in said condition and tests out its a done deal or at bare minimum a serious offer?
That's your problem right there. Boat sellers don't like to give boat rides to people who are "interested" in buying. Taking a boat out is not like a test drive in a car. I've sold several boats - and sales have all been struck contingent on a sea trial. That's how I purchased my current boat. You go see it - make sure it's the boat for you - agree on a price subject to a sea trial. Then the seller spends the time to take it to the lake, launch it, etc. if it doesn't perform as promised - the deal is undone. I wouldn't take the time to haul the boat to the lake, launch and let someone drive it because they were "interested" - otherwise you'd spend all your time trailering, launching, cleaning, and storing your boat.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-22-2016, 8:22 AM Reply   
I agree with agreement to buy pending water test. Too many tire kickers & it's a waste of a day & fuel to just take people out for a spin if they aren't already committed to the purchase
Old     (Sivs1)      Join Date: Nov 2015       04-22-2016, 8:23 AM Reply   
I have bought three boats, first one the deal was basically done before the test drive. The second two I bought off season from the same dealer, lakes were frozen. Have sold two boats. First went to my brother who had been in the boat many times. Second boat lakes were frozen, with both I did hook up a hose and ran them and then showed new owner how to drain everything.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
That's your problem right there. Boat sellers don't like to give boat rides to people who are "interested" in buying. Taking a boat out is not like a test drive in a car. I've sold several boats - and sales have all been struck contingent on a sea trial. That's how I purchased my current boat. You go see it - make sure it's the boat for you - agree on a price subject to a sea trial. Then the seller spends the time to take it to the lake, launch it, etc. if it doesn't perform as promised - the deal is undone. I wouldn't take the time to haul the boat to the lake, launch and let someone drive it because they were "interested" - otherwise you'd spend all your time trailering, launching, cleaning, and storing your boat.
That's what I have told them. That if it is in said condition and it tests out done deal.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
I agree with agreement to buy pending water test. Too many tire kickers & it's a waste of a day & fuel to just take people out for a spin if they aren't already committed to the purchase
I am serious and have told them I will buy it if it is in the condition that they say it's in and it tests ok.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 8:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivs1 View Post
I have bought three boats, first one the deal was basically done before the test drive. The second two I bought off season from the same dealer, lakes were frozen. Have sold two boats. First went to my brother who had been in the boat many times. Second boat lakes were frozen, with both I did hook up a hose and ran them and then showed new owner how to drain everything.
I might consider that if it was a ridiculous deal, but a couple of the boats had sat for a couple seasons. Won't go into a deal like that unless I can run it. I guess I forgot to mention that.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Up your price to 18k and you can come test drive my sanger all day. Get you into a nice v210 mechanically sound as all hell w/perfect pass/shark skin plus cover/well maintained😉
I saw your boat on craigslist ad. Would love to but it's out of my price range.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-22-2016, 8:39 AM Reply   
I test drove the '14 G23 I own currently (had to drive 5hrs to do so) and had the guy that bought my '10 Z1 come test drive it the day before he bought it. as the seller that was the 1st thing I offered was to come test drive it because that's (IMO) how you know if they are really interested or just kicking the tires. The buyer has to waste their time coming to see/drive the boat so its not just the owners time its both. If they are not serious they say "some other day", but if they really are serious they'll have a plan.

if the owner doesn't want you to test drive it then just deduct the amount to replace the motor and offer from there and explain why. If he doesn't budge then you know the motors on its last leg and that'll be the 1st thing you'll be buying when you get home.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-22-2016, 2:22 PM Reply   
Maybe your problem is your expectations of 500 hours or less on an older boat! They hardly used it when they wanted it, why would they use it now that they want to sell it!! LOL.. In all seriousness, I think expecting a seller to take you on a test drive on your first visit is unlikely. No matter how serious you sound on the phone. You need to go see the boat first, then schedule a test drive for another day. If you aren't willing to make two trips,then you will have to take the risk. A seller should at least be able to hook it to a hose though! Unless of course its winterized.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-22-2016, 2:48 PM Reply   
I think the geography plays a role too. For me, I could have a test drive completed with someone in less than an hour, as I have launches at 3 different lakes within 5 minutes of my house, so doing a test drive isn't a huge issue. If a test drive takes a day, then yea, I can see some reluctance. Either way, you're not out of line to want a water test prior to purchase, but you do need to make it clear that it's intent to buy at xxxx price pending water test.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 6:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2 View Post
Maybe your problem is your expectations of 500 hours or less on an older boat! They hardly used it when they wanted it, why would they use it now that they want to sell it!! LOL.. In all seriousness, I think expecting a seller to take you on a test drive on your first visit is unlikely. No matter how serious you sound on the phone. You need to go see the boat first, then schedule a test drive for another day. If you aren't willing to make two trips,then you will have to take the risk. A seller should at least be able to hook it to a hose though! Unless of course its winterized.
I have seen quite a few with less than 500. The people I talked to didn't even want to hook it to a hose. they were in LA area so no issues with winterization.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 6:56 PM Reply   
@ everyone. Thanks for the input guys I will continue on and hopefully be sharing some pics soon. The right boat and seller will come eventually.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 7:02 PM Reply   
Oh man!! That's why. I was just in LA last weekend buying a boat and let me tell you it was miserable. I drive 6 hours to meet at a lake and got rejected because the guy ran the boat on the hose prior and didn't pass mussel inspection. Then we tried to go to a lake 20 min away just to be turned around because the other lake put a APB on him,these lakes were 1.5hrs from his house in Huntington Beach. So we ended up going to make Elsinore ,45 miles away. So 2.5 hours later we arrive at this horrible **** hole of a miniature ocean with 100 boats on it. Fml I'm never going down there again F that place and their lakes. So anyhow going To a lake in so cal is a freakin mission.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 7:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Oh man!! That's why. I was just in LA last weekend buying a boat and let me tell you it was miserable. I drive 6 hours to meet at a lake and got rejected because the guy ran the boat on the hose prior and didn't pass mussel inspection. Then we tried to go to a lake 20 min away just to be turned around because the other lake put a APB on him,these lakes were 1.5hrs from his house in Huntington Beach. So we ended up going to make Elsinore ,45 miles away. So 2.5 hours later we arrive at this horrible **** hole of a miniature ocean with 100 boats on it. Fml I'm never going down there again F that place and their lakes. So anyhow going To a lake in so cal is a freakin mission.
Ok. I will definitely take that into consideration. I really think I'm going to have to look a bit closer and look at other brands as well. Those sanger dlx just look like such a well built boat and have a clean sleek look to them. Sorry to hear your trip was so rough.
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-25-2016, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shay View Post
I really think I'm going to have to look a bit closer and look at other brands as well. Those sanger dlx just look like such a well built boat and have a clean sleek look to them.
I was just going to suggest this. There have got to be a lot of other brands much closer to you. With Sanger being a mostly west cost brand, most are going to be far away. Open up your search to one of the big three and I am sure you can find something within a few hours. And, it seems like a water test will be easier in the mid-west.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-25-2016, 5:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeus17 View Post
I was just going to suggest this. There have got to be a lot of other brands much closer to you. With Sanger being a mostly west cost brand, most are going to be far away. Open up your search to one of the big three and I am sure you can find something within a few hours. And, it seems like a water test will be easier in the mid-west.
I agree.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-29-2016, 2:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
It's a major purchase, used, and it needs to do the job you are buying it for. Test it. Seems simple.

I have walked away from dealers that needed me to sign a purchase agreement before a test drive.
Ouch! Thats Not a test drive! That's you driving your boat around with the person that just sold it to you!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-01-2016, 3:45 PM Reply   
Bizarre that so many people won't do a test drive or even run it on the hose. When I was selling my last boat I'd run it on the hose for everyone who came to look. If they were serious after that and wanted a test drive I'd haul it to the river but didn't have any takers. Two were gonna buy it when they got the money, without a test drive, but they never came through. Ended up driving 3 hours to meet a guy halfway between us and test drive each others boats for a trade plus some cash. Worked out well, he was debating whether to keep the boat or sell it but said someone walking his dog while he was going over the boat at home wanted it and bought it a couple weeks later before he even put it for sale.

The previous boat the guy did a test drive with no fuss. Was first time he had it out for the season so ended up having to find a drain plug and change a fuel filter as it wouldn't run wide open... But after that I was happy with it and made the deal, that one was a straight trade of my convertible for the boat. I was waiting on parts to finish a transmission swap in my truck that weekend so he delivered it to me, a 30-40 minute drive.

That's my only two experiences buying boats, so no major issues.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-01-2016, 7:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Bizarre that so many people won't do a test drive or even run it on the hose. When I was selling my last boat I'd run it on the hose for everyone who came to look. If they were serious after that and wanted a test drive I'd haul it to the river but didn't have any takers. Two were gonna buy it when they got the money, without a test drive, but they never came through. Ended up driving 3 hours to meet a guy halfway between us and test drive each others boats for a trade plus some cash. Worked out well, he was debating whether to keep the boat or sell it but said someone walking his dog while he was going over the boat at home wanted it and bought it a couple weeks later before he even put it for sale.

The previous boat the guy did a test drive with no fuss. Was first time he had it out for the season so ended up having to find a drain plug and change a fuel filter as it wouldn't run wide open... But after that I was happy with it and made the deal, that one was a straight trade of my convertible for the boat. I was waiting on parts to finish a transmission swap in my truck that weekend so he delivered it to me, a 30-40 minute drive.

That's my only two experiences buying boats, so no major issues.
I guess I should correct myself, not all said they would not do the hose. Most were totally reluctant to test drive because it was socal and from what I have learned from Red's post is that it is a major PIA to test drive much down there. Something will come through soon enough. Glad to hear both of yours went well. I know some of the boats had sat for a season or more. So those people really didn't want to do test drive they just wanted them gone and didn't want to move a finger. I have broadened my search so hopefully something will come along.
Old     (crimson850)      Join Date: Feb 2015       05-01-2016, 10:28 PM Reply   
People that won't let you test drive something crack me up. I mean do they really think anyone who is serious isn't going to want to drive it? I mean come on, you'd think they'd have insurance on it so if something were to happen, it would be covered? Selling something is a serious pain sometimes, dealing with people who waste your time and have no intention, or means to buy whatever your selling. Hell, even trying to sell something on craigslist is a major task these days, no matter how many times you put NO TRADES, some jackass will text you asking "any trades?"
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-02-2016, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson850 View Post
People that won't let you test drive something crack me up. I mean do they really think anyone who is serious isn't going to want to drive it? I mean come on, you'd think they'd have insurance on it so if something were to happen, it would be covered? Selling something is a serious pain sometimes, dealing with people who waste your time and have no intention, or means to buy whatever your selling. Hell, even trying to sell something on craigslist is a major task these days, no matter how many times you put NO TRADES, some jackass will text you asking "any trades?"
https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/5540802137.html

I talked with this guy today, he said that the engine was rebuilt at 280 hrs and now has 530 hrs, no issues since rebuild. He also said he has a small leak from the water pump, and a few areas on gel coat that were dinged on dock by previous owner. He is the second owner, he says that he has beached it so there are scratches on the hull from that. My thinking is one he shouldn't have beached it, but I don't think it should be a too costly to fix, of course I could be completely wrong. Please let me know if I am. He wants 13k for it what do you guys think?
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       05-02-2016, 9:15 PM Reply   
Looks clean. I like it. Not my money..but I would do everything I could to raise another 5k and buy Reds boat. IMHO
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-02-2016, 9:18 PM Reply   
It's gone😁
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-02-2016, 9:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeWise View Post
Looks clean. I like it. Not my money..but I would do everything I could to raise another 5k and buy Reds boat. IMHO
Wish I could have. Sanger is what I honestly want, whether it is a dlx or 210 or better (not likely with my price point) I would be totally happy with it (I think). The distance is the main problem, they are mostly a west coast boat and tough to find in the midwest. To me the things that stand out is they are a sleek and sexy low profile boat, great gel coat and great build quality. They seem to have every base covered minus the meaningless things (to me) such as touch screen dash and such and they beat the hell out of the competition with price. A friend of mine is a mc dealer locally and claims they (Sanger) aren't good boats, naming wood stringers, and I should not trust what the internetsays about them. To me he hasn't done his research, but I could be wrong. I am not against the big 3 by any means, but Sanger just seems to be that unknown boat that to me is badass, and it has a definite price advantage. I don't want to even start to rant about current wake boat prices, but my GOSH reegoddamndiculous!!
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2016, 5:30 AM Reply   
Here is some help....http://claz.org/classifieds/vehicles...=10000&l=45000

http://claz.org/classifieds/vehicles...=10000&l=45000


http://www.shoppok.com/flint/a,29,74...trmsource=feed

Last edited by rexlex01; 05-03-2016 at 5:35 AM.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-03-2016, 11:09 AM Reply   
Having sold several boats and jet skis, I would never do a test drive till the deal was done till right before handing over the title. I was not in the business to see if my boat was the right boat for you. If you did not know what you were buying, then go do research somewhere else...but not on my time and dime. Too many lookie-loos. I had no problem putting it in the water because I was always confident in what I was selling, but it was the LAST step before transfer of money and title, not the first step in the negotiation process.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-03-2016, 12:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, must be something wrong here....RUN! The ONLY machine that test drives should not be freely given on are motorcycles. That's the only thing I would have to think twice before letting somebody take for a ride...UNLESS they gave me cash in hand up front and signed a "break it you buy it" policy. But as for boats...why can't you take the boat out with them in it of course...I see no issue with that unless they are hiding something!

Although I could see the argument if they lived too far from a lake. I only live 5 mins from mine so it's no big deal to me. But before buying anything that doesn't have a warranty, I would at least have to hear it run. Hook a hose to it and let it run in a driveway or something at least for a few mins. As stated before, depending on the time of year, you may have to wait until they are willing to de-winterize it. To me, if somebody can't take the time to show you that their product even works....then move on!

Last edited by beg4wake; 05-03-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-03-2016, 12:34 PM Reply   
My first boat was a 1989 Mastercraft Prostar 190. Lot of calls, only one guy came out to look at it and I offered a test drive. He took it, was happy, and bought the boat. Next was a 2004 Sanger V210. Guy came from another state to buy it. I offered test drive and he said no thanks, bought it and left. I wouldn't hesitate to take people out on a test drive but I've never had the type of problems people here are worried about (too many tire kickers wanting a free ride).
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-03-2016, 3:09 PM Reply   
my neighbor sold his boat last year, funny sh@t, he even had it in the lake in our hood. he test drove it 20 times, lol no one bought. no one really had the money, no one offered a reasonable price and he was so frustrated. Ended up selling it to a guy across the country with the contingent, NO TEST DRIVES! if you want it, come and look at it buy it or don't. After talking to the guy who drive 600 miles to buy it, he was sold by the position my neighbor took to not be suckered into a tire kicking process. Just by telling the potential buyer all the BS he went through for 6 months was enough to realize the boat was solid.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-05-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
I bought my 210 last summer from a guy in Oakley it was ridiculously and meticulously well maintained and in almost new condition for a 1998 . I'm very happy I paid a little more then I wanted and bought it .Even the Trailer had been completely restored by VM ( the manufacturer) and outfitted with the newer style brake actuator and bad ass LED lighting . What I'm getting at is he also INSISTED that I take a sea trial before he would sell me the boat . I really liked the guy and still see him from time to time . I told him next time I see him and I dont have kids with me its cocktail time ..lol

BTW that Pro star is really nice but I will never own another single axle boat trailer . Be patient you will find something . Did i miss what your price range is ?

Last edited by CALIV210; 05-05-2016 at 8:50 AM. Reason: remvoed comment on reds beautiful boat .SOLD
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-05-2016, 11:34 AM Reply   
Why no single axle?
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-05-2016, 12:03 PM Reply   
Probably has 8 year old tires and has blow outs all the time.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-05-2016, 2:30 PM Reply   
FWIW I never had problems with my single axle trailer. Usually they are under lighter boats so it's not that big of an issue. Less maintenance and cheaper to buy 2 tires than 5. Was possible to maneuver by hand as well. With a bigger boat having tandem axles is good because you can get brakes on both axles and for me the trailer seems to tow better (more stable, less sway, less bounce). I wouldn't hesitate either way, especially if you're not buying a huge boat.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       05-07-2016, 8:24 AM Reply   
That 205 looks pretty decent. Don't think you can expect to readily find a serious budget boat that is "perfect."
I can tell you my last 2 boats had been beached and, know what? You can't see those little scuffs when it's sitting in the water! Yes it bugged me, but after a couple wakeboard sets and a few beers I didn't care!
Buying selling a boat is no different than any other big$ private party sale. Going to be a crap ton of flakey buyers and sellers. Just have to be able to get a read on people to decide whether it's worth your time regardless of which side of the coin you're on.
The guy that texts simply "Wats yur lowest price?" And that's the first question, is a douche. Also typically the older and cheaper it is, the more flakes you get, both ways. Some dill bag who lives in a trailer house whose greatest possession is a 20year old ski boat with mushy stringers will be pimping it as the greatest boat ever because the ebt is running out for the month and baby momma already spent the disability and social security on catching up the water bill to only 90 days late and cleaned out the Wally World of Parlimnets and Natty Light.
Lower your expectations on society, not boats, and the process won't be as bad!
Plus dealing with low volume items like used comp boats, means more long distance deals to find the right machine for you. Both parties have to be willing to give a little or it won't be such a sweet deal!
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-07-2016, 9:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
That 205 looks pretty decent. Don't think you can expect to readily find a serious budget boat that is "perfect."
I can tell you my last 2 boats had been beached and, know what? You can't see those little scuffs when it's sitting in the water! Yes it bugged me, but after a couple wakeboard sets and a few beers I didn't care!
Buying selling a boat is no different than any other big$ private party sale. Going to be a crap ton of flakey buyers and sellers. Just have to be able to get a read on people to decide whether it's worth your time regardless of which side of the coin you're on.
The guy that texts simply "Wats yur lowest price?" And that's the first question, is a douche. Also typically the older and cheaper it is, the more flakes you get, both ways. Some dill bag who lives in a trailer house whose greatest possession is a 20year old ski boat with mushy stringers will be pimping it as the greatest boat ever because the ebt is running out for the month and baby momma already spent the disability and social security on catching up the water bill to only 90 days late and cleaned out the Wally World of Parlimnets and Natty Light.
Lower your expectations on society, not boats, and the process won't be as bad!
Plus dealing with low volume items like used comp boats, means more long distance deals to find the right machine for you. Both parties have to be willing to give a little or it won't be such a sweet deal!
I agree. I have this feeling through experience and research life etc. that myself and the seller need to be on the same page. If not, I will most likely pass and I'm not hurt about it. It is what is plain and simple. I am not a tire kicker and would not ask for a sea trial if I was not totally willing to make a serious offer or pay in full if its the right price, and obviously it checked out on the test run. I have ran into a few that say their boat is awesome no problems, etc, etc. Come to find out after looking there was very obvious damage, and things that just made me very unsure. I wasn't sure at the time but now that I have thought about it I am glad I walked away. I have also notice that people can get very pushy, and to me that is another red flag, and something I will walk away from immediately.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-07-2016, 10:05 PM Reply   
I would never buy a boat without a test drive, and I've never had a problem getting a test drive when I've bought my previous used boats. When I sold my previous boat, I was the one who insisted on taking the potential buyer out for a lake test. But I could tell he was serious.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-07-2016, 10:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_shima1 View Post
I would never buy a boat without a test drive, and I've never had a problem getting a test drive when I've bought my previous used boats. When I sold my previous boat, I was the one who insisted on taking the potential buyer out for a lake test. But I could tell he was serious.
That's the way it should be.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-08-2016, 12:03 PM Reply   
Stick with your plan to get the DLX from Sanger...you are right Sangers are bad ass. Great boats. Search for any Sanger boat because some owners think they have a Ski Sanger...thats not even a model...anyway 400 hour DLX's are out there and they do stack up better than similar models from mc mal cc/naut...the Sangers going to be in better condition as long as its been stored correctly...look in norcal...sf bay area...stockton...sacramento...we got water everywhere up here so test drives are sure easier
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-08-2016, 12:07 PM Reply   
Oh and tell that mc dealer friend that my mastercraft fell apart but my Sangers sure as heck don't.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-08-2016, 9:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Oh and tell that mc dealer friend that my mastercraft fell apart but my Sangers sure as heck don't.
What happened with your mastercraft? What model was it?

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us