Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (spencer3840)      Join Date: May 2005       01-24-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
This might get sticky but what is louder and better sound? Both given proper amps and in their applications.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-24-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
come on man. another one of these threads. ohh yea. NVS all the way
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-24-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
NO Wet Sounds all the way ^^^^
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-24-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
Kraco for me.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
1 Vote for Wetsounds

OR

Upload
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-24-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
WETSOUNDS
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
This thread is going to be the same as the last 20 about the same subject... TOWER SPEAKERS.

I have an idea for all of the people in Northern California or anyone who wants to take a visit to Sacramento. What if I picked a weekend to have a demo/get together day. Lets get a boat and install all of the tower speakers on it that are always in question, wire up a few relays to have a switching system and some solid power without variables and crank it up. Have some good tunes playing, barbecue, drinks, and a great time. Anyone who wants to attend can. Bring your favorite session CD or Ipod playlist and let it rip on some pro audio speakers. What does everyone think?

I have been on these boards talking about audio systems but my words are nothing compared to really putting your ears to the test.
Old     (spencer3840)      Join Date: May 2005       01-24-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
specs wise whats the difference between the 2 top models? Are they both about equal in sound quality?
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-24-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
hey ben. its been done before. it was called " the sound off" there's been three of them. two at the delta and one at spring ride. my guess is that the tower winners has always been NVS. YEAH. TRY TO TAKE THE CROWN FROM NVS NVS NVS NVS. you wet sound guys are so funny. you are the guys always saying that wet sounds are the best. i have heard both and have not yet heard wet sounds sound better or louder then nvs and iv been around the game for a while. those bullet speakers cant hang. GIVE IT UP. buy what you want. just dont get mad when a nvs boat passes you and your guest's on your boat ask you why your tower speaker aren't as loud as there's. dont blame your amp
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-24-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
im just joking. to compare all these speakers isnt fair because i know nvs need a lot of power. im sure if you put that type of power to those bullets they'll blow. just listen to all and come to a conclusion.

(Message edited by ponte_06_x2 on January 24, 2008)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-24-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
Speaker comparison test? Been there...
Upload

Are those Bulletts really $899/speaker?
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
AEOM - Thanks for the feedback. I have a few questions for you since you seem to have some experience with "the sound off". Were all the speakers on the same boat, same amp, same settings.... I want to but all the speakers on a single tower with the same amp hooked up with the ability to switch between the speakers and eliminate all the variables.

Have you heard the Bullet Hollow Points? I want as much feedback as possible from the people who have heard them. I had a chance to hook them up in the sound room but have not put them on a boat yet or do a head to head to head to head with the other products out there. Thanks again for any input you might have.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
Mike- thanks for the pic. Were all the speakers running from the same amp? How did you switch from one to another? Sorry for all the questions. I still can be considered a rookie to the wakeworld family.

Yes, $899 for a pair of 7.7"
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-24-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
^^^A sound room,drive way, parking lot or garage are not the way to decide on tower speakers. They will not sound the same when you're on the water. Look for an open remote area to test. Some thing like where Mikeski took his pic.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-24-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
no i haven't heard those bullets. i cant see how they would be louder because of surface area alone. comparing these different speakers arent comparing apples with apples. are you trying to find the best or the best that has a 400 watt amp on it. its like drag racing. if one can run a 10 second quarter mile and the second car run's a 15. you can tell the dude with the 10 second car to just use half throttle. i heard when mike compared the wet sounds against the nvs he paid some dude with a harley to pass by when he played the wet sounds. just kidding mike.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-24-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
the amp you should use is a thousand watt amp. thats what a pair of nvs 1010's need to really rip. use a big amp and then that would be fair. or would it? i just dont see a fair way to do it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-24-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
Tower speakers should not be tested in a sound room. You can probably get better results from car speakers versus pro-audio in a sound room. I hate to say that an opinion based on what you heard in a sound room is probably worthless.

The test done above was with the speakers facing the bay where there was no wall to reflect the sound for 10 miles.

NVS makes great speakers. To be fair, all of the speaker competitions mentioned above involved boats with NVS setup and ran by professional installers working with the speaker manufacturers versus a un-tuned boat owner setups (like mine).

I think my test was fair. Same boat, same 15 second music track, same volume setting, same distance from speaker, measured with a db meter and three blind listener opinions. I was even rooting for the local team, I was surprised by my findings and ended up buying the wetsounds. Sound was the main driver in my decision but other factors that influenced my decision were ease of speaker removal and how much injury I would sustain when my head bumps into the speaker. Jerry, I was right there with you before I did my test.

Ben, pick a time and a day, I would love to hear the Hollowpoints vs Wetsounds vs NVS.

My tower has quick disconnects, we made whips for each speaker set, 15 seconds each speaker, 3 tests each speaker, then some general listening with a few favorite tracks. The music test track included highs, lows, quick transients, and vocals.

(Message edited by mikeski on January 24, 2008)
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-24-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
yea. we should do something. lets set it up.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
Aaron - I agree with the location making a difference. Parking lot 120 yards long will not work? What about a big park? Its hard to get everyone on the water. I want to make this open for anyone who wants to attend and I can see taking that many people out on the water.

AEOME - Should I plan on having a 1200+ watt full range amp and just see what the breaking (not literally) point is of each set?

I'm not trying to plan this as a sales pitch. If NVS comes out on top I will give props to NVS. If everyone has experienced this test and don't feel the need for another I will still do it for my knowledge. I am really curious how the Bullet stands. I've been VERY happy with Wetsounds and just want to make sure that they are still the champ from my experience. Maybe NVS. Maybe who knows.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-24-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
hell yea. i love the smell of fara fluid "sp"
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
Sounds like a plan. Let me see what I can put together. Give me all the feedback you can and I will take it into consideration. I will start a new thread on the test.

Deez Nuts - I think that was an official Thread Jack. Sorry Bro.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-24-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
HSE TRIDENT
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-24-2008, 9:36 PM Reply   
No way to have a fair test with one amp to all the different speakers. Each speaker will want different crossover/EQ setting to sound good. One speaker is more efficient than the other...lot of things come into play.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-25-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Agreed neptunes.

Mikeski, If I remember correctly werent you running like 400 watts to the NVS? Wouldnt running all three speakers at the same volume level be a test of efficiency not sound loudness/quality? I would imagine some speakers sound better at louder/quieter volumes? And some better with different tracks. Really it is apples to oranges.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-25-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
Mike, what amp were you using, and did you make any changes to the settings between the different speakers?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-27-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
the amp was my Avionixx, 400 watts per speaker at 12.6v, some say these amps are under rated and make more than 500 per speaker.

No settings were changed between speakers for db measurements, same track, same volume setting.

When we ran the tests both the Tyrants and Wetsounds were early production units. It is likely that these units have little in common with today's production units? That said, here is what we found:

NVS Tyrant - ran clean until volume setting reached 29
Wetsound Pro 485 - ran clean to 32

Wetsounds pushed the db meter 3 db higher at setting 28 versus the Tyrant.

Tyrant - strong med - upper mid
Pro 485 - strong mid bass and clean highs weaker upper mid (by design?)
Pro 80 - strong mid and really strong highs (a bit too strong for my liking)

In addition to the Tyrants and Wetsounds we tested my 8" eminence system (in a similar configuration to Tyrants, preceeded Tyrants). My speakers had been tuned to have a softer high-end (tuned to my liking). They held their own versus the big guns to my surprise. Still not enough so to keep me from digging deep into my pockets to upgrade to the Wetsounds.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions, you probably disagree, I apologize if my opinion is not consistent with your agenda...
Old    murphy8166            01-27-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
Mikeski...please disclose your eminence setup that you are referring to. I am very intrested.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-28-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
If your going to do a test it should be more apples to apples. The Bullet Hollow Point 770's and 650's are made to compete with the Wetsound Pro 80's and Pro 60's and other smaller "round" speakers on the tower.

The Tyrant, Pro 485, HSE are big box speakers and should have there own category.

Just a thought.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-28-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
Why wouldn't you run the 10/10's up against the 485? If your going to go big against big, it seems the better option from the NVS side.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-28-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Murphy,

The parts list and build details for my old speakers have been posted here a few times since 2005, hit up that search key, try "diy hlcd". There are at least to copies running around in addition to my originals that are still running on my neighbors 2002 X-Star (he loves them). FYI they are the ones on the left of my sun deck in the picture of my boat above.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-28-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
Here is a link to the orignal test thread.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/313693.html