Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (project3060)      Join Date: May 2001       01-09-2004, 4:56 AM Reply   
I sprained my ankle and chiped the bone off the bottom of my tibia when one foot came out of the bindings in late Oct. I have been through physical therapy etc and it is fine walking and running so I tried riding new years and the landings from just 2w jumps hurt unless i take them small. Anyone been through an ankle injury and have any idea when I should be back to normal?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-09-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
I broke my tibia(that's the outside one right) about and inch and a half from the bottom. I broke it October 18th and on December 31 I rode for the first time. Yes it did hurt the first few times, however riding became my physical therapy. I rode every other week and it would hurt before I rode but afterwards it would feel great!! Eventually it just always felt great and it was not an isuue. Good luck and keep with it, you do not want to let it become a recurrent issue, take it slow and allow it to recover. I know a guy who had the same injury as I and re-hurt it and is generally f-ed up now.
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-09-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
Ray - I sprained my ankle and chipped off a piece of cartilidge inside the ankle joint. I tried to stay off it for about six weeks, starting riding again, re-injured it again, took a few more weeks off, etc. This continued for months during which time I was also going to physical therapy. I finally went to see a surgeon and he recommended a cortisone shot. I had heard a lot of negative things about them, but went with his recommendation. Now, three months after the shot, I don't have pain anymore every time I land. If doesn't help for every injury, but it is worth asking your doctor about it!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-09-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
Doesn't a cortisone shot just make it stop hurting? If I'm injuring myself then i want to know about it, just taking the pain away is not good cuz you can just continue to hurt it without knowing it. Good luck with it, they suck. Just keep at it, you'll be fine in no time.
Old    deltahoosier            01-09-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Cortizone takes the inflamation away, which in turn allows the body to heal. When you injure yourself, as I have done in the past and probabely in the future, you go through several steps.
First, you reduce the swelling
Second, you stretch the hurt part
Third, you strengthen the effected part
Forth, you then build it up for indurance

Main thing is to reduce the swelling for healing to begin. If the blood is pooled up in there, it can not let more blood in with new nutrients to heal the area.

I know there is one other step to physical therapy, but, that is what I remember from the therapists I have been too and a training video I had borrowed from a massage theripists. There are others on this board that do this for a living and will have better or more accurate details.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-09-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
Stephan
The bone on the outside is the fibula and is very commonly broken, usually heals well.

It sounds like Ray's problem is a small chip off the Tibia on the inside of the ankle joint, or even between the tibia and the bone underneath it (the talus). This can be very painful and frustrating because it takes so long to heal. I wouldn't be afraid to take the cortisone shot. It doesn't take away the pain, but the inflammation. If it isn't healing properly, a cortisone shot won't likely help. I would make an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon, who will repeat your X-ray. If that chip becomes loose in the joint it may never attach itself and needs to be taken out surgically. If the X-ray looks OK then he may recommend a cortisone shot. I would get it re-evaluated now so you can be back riding this summer, if anything drastic needs to be done. It's been 10 weeks and I think that's a good length of time for this type of injury to heal.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on January 09, 2004)
Old    whitechocolate            01-09-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
I broke my talus in June, It still feel's funky at times, I wish I had gone to physical therapy,
It's never hurted during riding, But It can seem some what scary, When I broke my'n I wasnt doing anything extreme or Huge just a simple wake to wake, The doctor said the action of stretcheing one way and then snapping back the other is what caused it. It's cominly refferd to as snowboarders fracture, 4 months Min recovery
Old    catalyst            01-09-2004, 10:56 PM Reply   
i fractured my talus but only found out i did almost a year later. I was in physical thereapy right after i injured it cause it was though to be torn legaments but after the year it wtill wasnt right so it was exrayed and my tailus was fractured. I wore an aircast for almost 8 weeks and no improvement. Now a year and half later its still messed up but i still do everything i would normally do. My right ankle just feels so much diferent than my left one though. Good luck with your tailus Grant.
Old     (project3060)      Join Date: May 2001       01-10-2004, 6:08 PM Reply   
I have been to the orthopedic who x-rayed the ankle and saw signs of the chip re-attaching. He cleared me and told me to keep up with the therapy which I have completed. It is still swollen some and I don't have full mobility but it is slowly getting better. The orthopedic told me to let pain be my guide, so I tried riding but backed off to landing on the transition on the second wake which felt ok. I was just curious when it would feel solid again so I can get back to normal riding.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-11-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
Glad to hear it's coming along OK!