Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    debsxstar            08-08-2003, 9:34 PM Reply   
Sometimes when i turn the steering wheel...I heard s sqeaky sound. I'm told that the steering linkage and rudder nees to be greased? How often should one do this and one a 02 X star....where are these located??
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-09-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Debbie,

In my MC 'Operations and Maintenance Manual' which you should have also received, lubrication of the steering system is under the 'Annyally (Every 100 hours) section.

You can't 'over lubricate' anything so I wouldn't 'wait' till 100 hours. Do it more if you accumulate some water in your bilge as that is where the greasing should take place.

There are 3 little grease fittings in the back. "Using the flexible end on a grease gun, give two full shots of waterproof marine multi-purpose grease to the three grease fittings: one on the rudder shaft, one on the tube and one on the pivot."

Check your manual and there is even a picture to guide you. If you dont have your manual, let me know and I'll snap a photo for you.
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-10-2003, 6:33 AM Reply   
Debbie,

This is better as it has all the steps necessary. I've done this on countless DDrives but if anyone has any feedback for Debbie on her VDrive, that might help too?

LubeItUp
Old    debsxstar            08-10-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Hey Grant(Everett), thanks so much for the great information! The directions and the pic really helps since I'm pretty clueless about this. I just got back from riding. Had some great water at Elsinore. :-) I'm going to to look at my set up right now. I'll let ya know how it goes! I'm right at 100 hrs. Deb
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-10-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
Debbie, if you do not have a grease gun, you can pick one up with some water proof grease at AutoZone or Checker or whatever auto parts stores they have out there pretty cheap. Good luck!
Old    debsxstar            08-10-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
Hey Grant, well I did it! I bought a grease gun and greased the 3 fittings. Geez......the V drive is hard to work on that's for sure. (I sort of got stuck in the side compatment for bit. (hahahehe) Things are hard to reach. I also noticed an exhaust/air vent hose was just "hanging" over the rudder linkage. Not sure if this is suppose to connect to something or if this is suppose to be just an air vent. (I think an air vent) Any way I rotated the steering wheel in both directions and it's as smooth as can be. I also lubricated the throttle linkages. I figure I can do this every 50 hrs........Thanks again for the help!!
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2003, 10:00 PM Reply   
Do I need specific marine grease, or will the Mobil1 synthentic grease that I use on my autos work?
Old    debsxstar            08-12-2003, 6:52 AM Reply   
I just went to an auto store and told them what I was going to do and they gave me a grease tube. When you read the marine grease...I think it says water resistant...maybe it stays on longer?
Old    jmccallum            08-12-2003, 7:19 AM Reply   
Yup,

This is an reasonable write up on the topic http://klr6500.tripod.com/grease101.htm
However, I think there are water proof lithium greases that do just fine and I've never heard of an aluminum complex grease with moly

Any boat trailer bearings and any bearing exposes to water should have waterproof grease.