Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-07-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
No Dangling Here

Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
That's a cool video.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-08-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
That was sick, YO! See it can be legit and fun as hell...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-08-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
yay no dangling!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2010, 11:01 PM Reply   
if i didn't know better i might have thought it was a cable video. even the boards and boots were wake... a lot of them anyway
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2010, 6:10 AM Reply   
Huge props! It's looking way better.

What changed? It looks like that lanyard thing is longer to give them room for handle passes.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-09-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
So proper from wakeboarding standards?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-09-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
this is a wakeboarding forum?!!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-09-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
Proper for doing tricks that are difficult and actually propelling yourself up in the air rather than flick your wrist and have the kite pull you up by the waist to dangle for a while.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-09-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Tim,
What's worse (or more proper)?

1. Using a kite to propel you higher into the air.
2. Using 2000lbs of ballast to propel you higher into the air.

I'll be willing to bet that people aren't looking to ban kite boarders on private lakes because of shoreline erosion.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
No but they do ban them from beaches because people have been hit with kites
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-09-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Copy that Riley...my point was simply that they're both performance enhancers.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-09-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
My point is that there is a distinct difference between what they are doing in the video, which is using their kite to do some legit, skillful tricks, as opposed to steering the kite to pull them 30' up in the air by their waist.

Think of it like someone using 2000lb of ballast to do heelside airs compared to someone doing grabbed spins, mobes, etc.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-09-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
Got it Tim.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
How come there's no wakeboard photographers that look like this?

Upload
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing!
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-09-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
Why would you NOT boost 30 foot airs?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-09-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Paul Bernier (wakeriderixi)
this is a wakeboarding forum?!!

Then why are we watching a kiteboarding video? And Adam, maybe you should talk to your contributing photographers about their apparel choices?
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
^^^^
There's no way I'm getting Big Spence in a two-piece! I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit.
Old     (stone)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-09-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Not all kiteboarding is dangling. We have a faction that is into riding with style:
http://www.kitescoop.com/videos/video/redfootage/

Bummers is most kiteboarders can't figure out why we don't use the kite more. At least with more of these events happening maybe we'll get some young talent in that will change the sports direction.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Just check out Andre Phillip enough said
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-09-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Please excuse my ignorance here, but does the Kite board harness swivel around the riders whole body??? I have never really given kite boarding the time of day so I have no idea what the rig is like.
Old     (cnagler)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-09-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
The harness goes around your waist and the spreader bar(where you attach the bar( handle and lines) is fixed on the harness in the middle and does not swivel. you have to unhook the bar. here is a picture of a harness: http://www.kiteboardingevolution.com/image-files/waistharness.jpg
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
No it stays on the front. You have a safety line that changes the aspect of the kite when you crash so the kite falls to the water and loses power.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-09-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
I still doint get it, how the heck do you spin without wrapping yourself up???
Old                02-09-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
I think it looks fun either way--dangle or no dangle. If I lived by the ocean I would be all over it.

It is close enough to wakeboarding to appeal to me. Thanks for posting. I had no idea that they were hitting rails with kiteboards.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
The safety line will wrap around you but it is pretty easy to get it back in the right spot. It usually hooks to your back so depending on how much you spin it doesn't really wrap that much. Also depends on how you spin, if you go a little off axis it may just come over your head and not wrap up at all.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
I hate to say it on a wakeboarding forum, but kiteboarding can be more fun than wake. A nice downwinder day with 25 mph winds and 4-5 foot glassy waves and you will have more fun than you can imagine!

We used to do downwinders from Stuart Beach to Fort Lauderdale beach. Took us about 5-6 hours.

Blastin waves and checkin out girls in bikinis all the way down! It's a good time for sure!

(Message edited by steezyshots on February 09, 2010)
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
it's not behind a boat so it doesn't count
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-09-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^
hahaha Funny
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-09-2010, 4:30 PM Reply   
My family vacations to Hatteras Island NC and they are everywhere. I have wanted to try it, but my Dad windsurfs so I would never hear the end of it.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
Hatteras is the SPOT! A lot of windsurfers have graduated to the kite
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-09-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
Windsurfing is dead as foam plank wake boards... Opps did I just say that... Pullin legs and arms. hahaha
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-09-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
Andy Nintzel,

if you have not watched the other vid that jason posted http://www.kitescoop.com/videos/video/redfootage/
it has some closer shots at slow motion so you can see the strap/harness. i guess they would be forced to learn backside and front side spins eh?

ohhh and the vid shows kite-wakeSKATING. Never knew that was done!

thanks for the vid jason
Old     (stone)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-09-2010, 10:58 PM Reply   
Hey just stoked that kiting is getting some positive attention from a sport I admire.

Too many times it's just the dangle kiting that gets the exposure.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-10-2010, 4:33 AM Reply   
Those of you guys stuck up here in the north where the lakes are frozen snowkiting makes for a good way to pass the winter till the lakes thaw. Strap on a snowboard or skis and hit the lake.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-10-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
no doubt Snowkiting is so sick!!!

I have some decent POV video that might be sorta interesting if you have never seen the sport. You can ride unhookd' way more they you can while on the water. That's a plus!

Blue bird

Ridge Run
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-10-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
.Upload

(Message edited by flexnwake on February 10, 2010)
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
Dang it would be really weird to wake up and hope it was windy outside!!
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-10-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
benjamin^^^^^

Your profile picture is on cable..... So it doesn't count
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-10-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
Downwinders in the snow are soooooooo fun!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-10-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
Justin, hit me up anytime you want to learn. I ride around here all the time.

Andy, you really owe it to yourself to pick up a setup and learn. If anything it is a way to get on your board on those blown out days. Kiteboarding requires a fundamental edge both regular and switch. We all think we are fundamentally sound until we get on a kite. Those improved fundamentals will really help your wakeboarding. Plus, the freedom of making your own lines and not just following a boat everywhere is amazing. Once you get it dialed it is so fun to travel with it. Everything you need fits in one golf bag and you can go anywhere in the world and ride any kind of condition you like. You dont have to try to get somewhere and find that the only boat available for a pull is some bass tracker. Hit up some flatwater for a cable type feel, or some waves for some kickers. The harness is just for kite control while cruising across the water. You unhook from it to do tricks.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-10-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
if you don't have water or snow, just flat land, you can do kite-mountainboarding too.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-10-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
Riley I second that, I learned to kite over xmas, it was some of the most fun Ive ever had strapped into a board. The feeling of freedom when you learn enough to pilot yourself is amazing, and boosting up is amazing fun. Didnt try unhooking as I only had 4 days, but its on the cards for next time!
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-10-2010, 9:34 PM Reply   
I'm thinking of switching over to the kite. Something about it really appeals to me. Plus I don't have to buy a boat to do it. I can just hit the lake and have at it. Not sure yet though, still thinking about it. I'll buy a trainer kite first to see if I even like flying the kite. Mark, Jason or Slingshot if you have any good reasons I would love to hear about them. You can PM me if you would like. I'm just looking for some points of view.
Old     (cnagler)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-10-2010, 11:33 PM Reply   
if I could give you any advice i'd say skip the trainer kite. take a lesson and you will never need to buy a trainer kite and you will be able to see what flying the actual kite is like.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-11-2010, 4:52 AM Reply   
Stephen, I was being extremely sarcastic. I almost exclusivly ride cable
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-11-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
kiting is a great complementary sport to wake, especially if you live near the coast. Wake if its flat, kite when its blowing.

Trainer kites are good to have around, even if its just to hand off to some chick on the beach that says "that looks cool, wish I could do it...."
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-11-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
TRainer kite and a longboard skateboard is so much fun too!
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-11-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Ya I was thinking of the trainer kite to ride with my longboard
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-11-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Oh ya I will take lessons. I know better than to ride one of those babies without knowing how to control it.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-11-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Trainer kite is good to start and once you do kite you can teach your friends on the trainer before they try your real thing. There is value in the Trainer even after you're a skilled rider. Like other posters said before riding one behind a skate can be super fun if you have the location to ride in. Also can work if you live near a flat long beach. Bigger foil like a B3 or B4 would be more then enough when combined with a groundboard or longboard. The wind range would be between 10-20kts give or take depending of wind conditions and skill set... Either way you will have a kick in the pants or a hole!!! HAHAHAHA.

Once you have trainer time your lesson will be easier to understand due to you already having some sort of flying controls down. Usually it can take up to 6 hours of lesson to really get it. But it can take less or longer...
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-11-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
If you really want to learn go to key west and go to the kite house.

You learn out on a sandbar away from any obstacles to run into.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-11-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
Would the B2 be a good enough kite to longboard with? I live in Kansas and I have access to a very large parking lot, K-States football parking lot, and also have lots of wind to ride with. Plus I have a lake 5 minutes away.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-11-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Sorry I know this is a wakeboarding forum but I can't find any good kiteboarding forums. The ones I've found like kiteboarding mag's people haven't replied since 1973!! If you guys know of any good sites/forums please let me know. I'm seriously considering buying/getting lessons.
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-11-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
www.kitescoop.com

www.nwkite.com
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-11-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
Thanks!
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-11-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
I am gonna get sooooo flamed for this! I am a die hard wakeboarder at heart turned into kiteboarder. I have been kiting for about a year now and loving every second of it....thanks to Mr. Cristopher Schey et al! ;-)

Some of you will never understand the true power of these kites and how fricken sweet it is to shred super powered! Its a pretty lame learning curve, however. There's a point where you will want to quit cuz you dont get it but one day, it'll just click and you wont ever look back.
Seeing as I am selling my boat cuz im headed to Graduate school, my kites are my babies!

If you have never tried it, dont mock it...wakeboarding site or not. Because I can guarantee that most of you did not begin your water sports "career" on a wakeboard but rather skis, slalom or trick skis, so flame you for that!

Kiting (not dangling, true wakestyle) is going to be the new wakeboarding...just watch....

This is a video of me my buddy took a few weeks ago. Some of the raley's are real lame, but if you watch my first one and the one at like 6 mins they're pretty decent for my first time ever trying unhooked tricks! Lovin every second of MN winter!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/9197641

Still love beer, boobs and boats, however...unconditionally!

(Message edited by spicychalupa69 on February 11, 2010)
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
don't mean to change subject and i know I'm in the wrong section but,

Does anyone want to buy a kite?