Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-10-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
Just wanted to know if people would be interested in a wakeboard camp ran on the Wailua River on the island of Kauai.
Top pros would come out and ride and surf with you for a week. The camp would include all meals, lodging, and transportation. The boat would be a brand new Malibu.
the camp would only run during the winter. The temperature is a chilly 80 and the water around 76.
Just wanted to know if that would interest anyone...
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-10-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
Hell yeah it would!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       12-10-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
Ryan,

You live in Hanalei, I live just north of there for several months a couple of years ago. The Wailua is SICK.. everybody should experience life out there, and a wakeboard camp wold be epic.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-10-2005, 10:51 PM Reply   
It would be more than a camp
More like a vacation designed around wakeboarding
The Pro's would be vacationing with you
Besides wakeboarding, you would be able to see the island, surf epic waves, kiteboard, scuba, golf, etc.
The island is amazing
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-11-2005, 6:30 AM Reply   
Ryan,

I used to live on Kauai, and you're right, the Island is amazing...IMHO the best of the Hawaiian islands.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Keep us posted.
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-11-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
count me in let me know what happens with this
everyone i know would go
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-11-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
What pro's would you want out there???
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
????????
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-12-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
Byerly, Grubb, Reed, Daniels, Basino
You could have some wakeboarders too...

Come to think of it, you should do an all skate week too!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-12-2005, 1:07 PM Reply   
I would totally be down. That would be a great set up.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-12-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
Just get Kelly Slater, Shane Beschen, Rob Machado & Andy Irons & I'll just watch you wakeboard. That sounds good to me!!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-12-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
Stephen, what the hell are you doing? We need to ride soon. We'll come your way.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-12-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
Well, now that you throw SCUBA in the mix, that would totally interest us. Although, I dont know if I can talk Tate into lugging scuba AND wakeboard gear through the airport! Will you have stuff for rent? What kind of diving would you incorporate?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-12-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
I'd be down if the price was reasonable, however I could care less about having pros. If it is cheaper not to have pros, I would be more inclined to go that route.
Old     (themann39)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-12-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
I rode on that river a few years ago on a vacation it was great. I would be down to go there again that island is amazing. The only thing that would have made the riding better is if there was better equipment that was avaliable to use, it was a little hard to ride with a ski rope.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
Tim
I'm actually thinking more of making it like a vacation rather then hard-core training.
right now I'm just researching what would stoke people out. If I had pro's come out it would only be for a week at a time.

Renee
As far as the scuba, Kauai's pretty good. For the more advance divers we could go off a boat to some of the outer reefs. For the novice it would be more like the one phathom dive.

Thanks for the input
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
here's some shot of Kauai for people that have never been

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-12-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
We are planning a trip to Hawaii for 2006 or 2007 for some diving, it would be great if we could work in some wakeboarding too. Would you have an actual dive shop onsite or would you work with one of the existing local shops? We would also be interested in local tours and stuff.

Be sure to keep us updated on your progress. Add me to a mailing list if you have one.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-12-2005, 7:12 PM Reply   
I clearly understood the vacation aspect. That being said, I probably wouldn't care if there were pros or not. If pros happened to be there on their own dime, that would be fine. I wouldn't want their presence subsidized by my fee for this trip.

That being said, if you get this off the ground and the price is reasonable (not necessarily cheap, just good value) I might be up for it, along with some friends, for jan '07.
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-12-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
I'd be there, and it would make no difference to me if there were pros there or not. And I agree with Tim, I wouldn't want to be paying for a pros vacaton.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
Renee
My sister and brother-in-law run a company called Pure Kauai that specializes in luxury health and fitness vacations. Check out www.PureKauai.com They have a dive master that works for them.
The company I’m proposing is just an idea right now. I'll take down your info for the future

Tim
Understood about the pros. Understand your reasoning too. That said
Everything in Hawaii is more expensive then the mainland. It would be affordable but not as cheap as say a Florida camp. More bang for your buck though
Thank you both for all the input.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-12-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
Ryan,
Would you offer just a day of riding, or would you have to do a whole week. I am going to Kauai in March 06 and would love to go riding while i'm there. If you have room on a boat my fiance and I would love a pull, or if you are up and running and have a day price... count us in!!!
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2005, 10:32 PM Reply   
Cody
The camp would be a week long and not start till nov/dec 06. As for March, what dates??? I'm going to be in Vegas from the 9th till the 13th all other days I should be on Kauai. Right now I only have an Ocean boat. As you read in an earlier post, the guy that pulls people on the river does not cater to wakeboarding (No weight, and bungee ropes) Your welcome to contact me about any adventures you and your fiancé want to do out here. I got the hook up
cool profile pic
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-12-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
Ryan, you need boat driver clean up guy. I will be your go to guy. As long as I have a place to lay my head, eats and a pull every day I am your man.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-12-2005, 10:47 PM Reply   
Ryan,
We'll be there the week of the 12th. I'll definately stay in contact with you as it gets closer to the date... I'd appreciate any hook ups, seeing that hawaii prices are much more expensive than a college student would like to afford. Thanks for the offer, I'll keep in touch
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2005, 10:49 PM Reply   
Squidy,
I'll keep you in mind. In hawaii you need a commercial captains license to pull people. takes 4 weeks and has nothing to do with boarding. You'll know how to navigate by the stars though.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       12-12-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
Oh come on Ryan.. who on Kauai is gonna enforce that law? I think the whole time I lived there I only saw the cop once
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-13-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
I rode on the river in Kauai a few years back and it was a cool experiance. As Ryan said the guy that is currently offering pulls there has no weight in the boat, it was still a neat experience. I always try to ride in different places and this was one of the neatest that I have been to.
Ryan- I think it would be cool if the pros were there, but like some others said that wouldn't be that important to me and I doubt I would want to pay more for it. Some others may be more star struck and want to do it though. I am sure you could give the lessons just fine. The island is definitely beautiful. It would also be nice to try kiting. When I was there I was talking to some locals that were doing it. I think that may be a little more difficult to teach though. The boarding would be the easy part. They were talking about how powerful the kite can be. I think some people could get themselves into some real trouble with that. Plus it would probably take a few days before you could even get on the water with a kite. At least that is what I have read on some of the other kite destinations. Good Luck with your venture, it sounds great and I will look you up if you get it going and I ever make it back out that way.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-13-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
I think the concept is great and you should have the pros. It's an experience vacation not a wakeboard camp so the pro part is a good ides. Probably not for the guys who are looking for a deal but more for those who can afford something different.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-13-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
Ryan, you will almost put the other guy out of business. But isn't he the dealer as well? I rode with him last year and the response with wedge just didnt cut it, especially since you were on the Wailua (surreal for most of us). The Wakesetter VLX would be great out there. I will plan on seeing you in fall if you follow through. Advertise on the internet man, wakeworld.com. Links, shop sites, etc. Everyone wants to ride and train with pros. I hope you pull it off.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-13-2005, 7:06 PM Reply   
Roger, not about affordability, just personal preference
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-13-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
damn, this post is making me sad. Im going to kauai this firday and was all excited to get a pull with "that guy" but now it doesnt sound that great. Whatever, it's more about the location and scenery than really getting to ride behind a sick boat, i can do that here in cali. I guess I'll just have to spend my whole trip surfing.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-14-2005, 12:38 AM Reply   
Proho,
Let me be the first to defend "that guy". His name is Kenny and he's a close family friend who's been on that river since before I was born. He's an avid slalom skier and really good sky skier. He actually has done a lot to make wakeboarding more enjoyable but his business isn't just wakeboarders. It's mostly families that want to ski, tube, and ride. It's great for most people but to the true fanatic, ( AKA wakeworlders ) it's not a huge wake. It's definitely worth riding to experience the river. Call Kauai Surf Co at 808 822 3574 to ride
If your looking for good surf check out Hanalei bay. It usually has good surf no matter how big it gets.