Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-12-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
My Maristar 225 Direct Drive just isnt cutting it anymore. Probably the worst time of the season to look for a boat, but its the height of the season to sell so it is what it is. Im really only looking to do 30k max, but it seems everything i like is just above that

Im looking at a 2008 Centurion Lighting, A 2006 Supreme V220, a 2004 Tige 22v and an 01 X-30. Of course almost all of them have trailers in bad shape or dont even have a trailer, need things such as tower speakers, an amp, or perfect pass etc..

What do you guys recommend that will give me a great wake. Should I look for something else? All the above boats seemed to be price pretty high, but its also the middle of the summer so i understand.

Im almost borderline thinking about buying a brand new boat or a demo but I just cant justify a 6-700 payment when I get get similar results for half the price

Thanks guys
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-12-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Don't underestimate the wake on the V220. I LOVE mine and often run it with zero additional ballast and a small crew and the wake is great.

I've been through my boat and probably will only sell it to get a V226, feel free to message me if you have any questions.

I've added - Heater, tower speakers, perfect pass, stock ballast removal, replaced steering cable, changed prop to Acme 911 and soon to have heated seats!

The 2008 lightning sounds like a decent piece as well, but something sounds fishy if that boat is indeed under 30k.

I don't know much about the Tige, and I've never been a fan of Mastercraft because I can get so much more for my money.

My boat is 2004 with only 170 hours, and the 315 mag which gets decent fuel economy and never had a problem with power.

If you have any questions on the Supreme, let me know!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-12-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
The Tige is probably the best surf boat and best wake boat out of those 4. I like the Lighting if it is a C4(full wrap around interior which is the newer hull). The X30 is a nice, big boat but is older then all the rest you are looking at.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-12-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
what do you plan on doing with it, if you are not looking to surf, i would look at a malibu vride, older vlx's and centurion avy's (avys have killer surf wake, and great wakeboard wake) older x1's
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2012, 11:10 AM Reply   
Add Sanger 215 to your list. It's a better boat than anything you mentioned in my opinion. Excellent value, great wake, lot of boat for the money. Or if you're willing to spend a little more, Doug nailed it with the older Malibu VLX / VRide
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-12-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
My main use is wakeboarding. We like to mess around with a surfwake on crappy does or when everyone is tired, but only for fun.

The 08 Centurion is 38,500. I know I can get him down a little but certainly not to 30k

The V220 is nice, however needs tower speakers, board racks, perfect pass, etc... Once all that is said and dont Im almost at the price of the Centurion depending on what options I go with. All it has is a brand new tower

The Tige is nice, Perfect Pass, Tower, Speakrs, Bimini but its also going to need a trailer and is running around 25k

The mastecraft I know you are paying for the name, but the price is pretty decent for all the boat has.

Ive been searching all the dealers on the East Coast the its pretty slim pickings out here now unless I want to spend 50k+
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-12-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Tige even if you have to buy a trailer. Best performing at wakeboarding and surfing of the boats listed.
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-12-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
My only issue with the Tige is the hour meter is broken and they engine was not as clean as the others. Its an 2004 so Im assuming its probably got around 500hours on it. Also has a surfing exhaust on it as well. Its a nice bought, hideous stock Tige tower though. Im just looking for the best wake possible
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-12-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
ever consider a 04 super air nuatique,210?? under 30 grand??
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-12-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney86 View Post
My only issue with the Tige is the hour meter is broken and they engine was not as clean as the others. Its an 2004 so Im assuming its probably got around 500hours on it. Also has a surfing exhaust on it as well. Its a nice bought, hideous stock Tige tower though. Im just looking for the best wake possible
should be able to plug into the computer to get hours. Also, if it has PP keeps track of hours. If it was installed at the factory that should tell you the correct hours. Fresh air exhaust is cool. I agree those tower were ugly but I don't remember ever hearing about problems with them. Can always be swapped out at some point. Does it have ballast? Most Tige's then didn't because they were still trying convince everybody that their boats didn't need ballast.

Like Chris just mentioned a SAN would be a great boat. Especially if wake is important. The V215 Jarrod mentioend to should be on your list if you are on the west coast. Great all around boat and should eb able to find nice mid to late 2000's in the 30-35 range.
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-13-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
Im not sure if the PP was installed from factory or now, ill look into it. The tower i would definitely like to swap out but really don't want to have to deal with fiberglassing the original holes, then painting etc... There are no factory ballasts, but he did get fatsaks that were made to fit in in all of the lockers and seat compartments.

Have not seen any SANs at dealers. Only nautiques I have seen around here are newer 08+ or earlier 2000 direct drives.

I know my best bang for the buck is probably the Centurion because super low hours and the boat is mint with everything I want. The Tige is probably the most logical way to go though. Or I can somehow talk myself into a Wakesetter demo or an Air Nautique demo at my local dealer, but then I am up around 55k
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-14-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
So Im trying to narrow it down. The Tige is probably my best monetary because its the cheapest and only needs minima fixes (new amp, probably a new trailer, some other odds and ends so figure 5-7k including the trailer. The V220 has no tower speakers, no amp, no perfect pass and trailer can use some cleaning up so were talking at least 4-5k in upgrades there, which then would put me at the exact price as the Centurion lighting which has everything tower speakers, perfect pass, built in ballast, full kit, bimini etc...

Im pretty much going to put down 50% of the boats value in cash and then finance the rest, only so I know I have money in the bank etc... Not going to blow 30-40k and be boat poor. So Im only financing for 1-2 years. The Tige I will pay off easily in 1 year and could sell, the Centurion would deffinately take the 2 years.

Tige I can get for 24k probably maybe a little less
V220 is 34k
Lighting is 38k. This lighting has the wrap around front seating and wrap around rear seating, so that makes it a C4 hull I am guessing?
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-14-2012, 7:22 PM Reply   
Just throwing it out there, I bought my 2005 supra 21v at the beginning of the season with all the goodies and in mint condition for 30k. There are deals, but you have to be patient. Get something you really want or you will regret it later on.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-14-2012, 9:17 PM Reply   
Rob,
Is there a certain size you are looking for? Or just the right price? And Raf was right, you do not want to rush the purchase of your boat. I guess it depends on how long you're looking at keeping it, if its a short term deal then get whatever. If its a more permanent fixture, be patient, and maybe spend a little more to get what you want. I would say mid-2000's Supras and I would be willing to bet you could find a newer Moomba Mobius LSV or even an XLV for right near your price. I recently sold my XLV and I know the people that have the LSV's absolutely love them and you shouldn't have any troubles finding a newer, low hours one that is in your price range and very clean.

Somebody else on here once said if you spend $32,000 on a boat you should have bought for $30,000 and get what you want you wasted $2,000. If you spend $27,000 and get a deal on a boat you don't want, you wasted $27,000.

As you mentioned, it is the height of the season, I wouldn't want to purchase a boat that needs work right now. Wait until fall and then work on it over the winter if that's what you're looking for. I would hate to buy a project right now to finish it in time to winterize it. And then it would come down to what you're going to do with your current boat, try and sell it now, take a hit and sell it this fall, or try and hold on to both boats and sell it in the spring. If it were me and your current boat is paid off, I would wait until off season to buy, work on it over the winter, and then sell your old boat in the spring to pay off your new purchase. No matter what you decide, look at a Moomba or a Supra, and good luck.

Last edited by codykauz; 07-14-2012 at 9:20 PM.
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-15-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
Id like to be int he 20-21' range. Basically you summed it all up it depends when my current boat sells or if I just want to take a hit at the dealer on a trade in. Personally Im riding 4 days a week so my current boat is getting used. My only issue is no one around here really rides anymore so finding a pull under a 1.5hr ride is going to be fun if this boat sells and then I wait. My boat isn't sold so I can't do much until its sold anyway, so hopefully in the next month or 2 a lot more boats hit the dealer floor. Thanks a ton of the info everyone