Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (tipofloe)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-30-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
Hello everyone,

just wondering how much you usually pay to get on someone else's boat.

There are a lot of "schools" out there that charge $125 to $150 per hour per person, and I don't know if they provide enough time to ride and practice...

"The Book" DVD suggest that you pay for gas as well as the maintenance, but how much is really reasonable?

I know a few people in the area with boats less than 3 years old, X-Stars, Supras, Nautiques, and they usually ask $100 for an all day session, which usually gives out a 3~4 sessions per person.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-30-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
Friends boat $20-40

Sitting on the Dock waiting for a pull $50 plus
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-30-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
As a boat owner, I look at it this way. I can't ride by myself so I don't expect money from guys that ride with me all the time. But most of my friends are good about pitching in every now and then. When gas prices were high I did need the help from fellow riders to be able to ride as much as we all wanted to. Now its not that big a deal anymore. I guess if someone was calling me asking me to go every day I would expect them to put gas in the boat, but most of the time I am calling a few guys and if they don't go then I can't either. Just all part of being a boat owner.
The way gas prices are now I think $20 everytime you go ride is a little over kill. If you are riding 2-3 afternoon's a week that is pretty much paying for all the gas and then some if I were to invite more than one rider. Again I would never expect that from my friends that I am inviting to go pull me around the lake.
On the other hand if anyone trys to slip me some cash after a day on the lake I will take it, unless they are a first time rider that I invited.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-30-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
I guess I dont bring a lot of "outsiders" with me. I go with my wife sometimes or a key friend or 2. Most of the time it is just me and my buddy so I bought gas and once in a great while he would throw me some money like once a month 20 or so. I got covered because almost all days after riding, we would go to lunch (BBQ place, Subway, BK) and he would buy. I guess most other people if they come out besides him, I figure people will throw in $20 or trade pulls through the summer. Some dont throw down much if at all. Most times they dont come back very often. Family is the worst with that though. Expect you to take them out all the time whenever you go and expect you to foot the bill for it. Then they get upset when they find out you went without them. I really want to tell them to get a clue. Obviously the subtle hints arent working.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-30-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
My buddies and I trade on each other's boats and it's usually $20-30 for an outing. That's 2-3 pulls. It's never a stated requirement but we all know what it costs to own & use a boat. When it's not my boat, $30 is a deal for not having to tow, use & clean mine. When it is my boat, a couple guys at $30 each more than pays for the gas that day.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-30-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
dang! 50-100 bucks for some riding?! For our boat (my dads boat, sometimes he pays for the gas, if I take it out, I do) we usually dont expect payment. Usually we know the person getting a pull or it is a friend of a friend. If my dad is driving he never expects nor accepts gas money...if I am paying, if its my riding buddies I dont ask, because it all evens out when we ride each others boats and I just enjoy watching them. If its my non-wakeboarder friends then I usually ask they pitch in 10-20 bucks for the weekend (maybe 3 sets?) Random person:10 bucks a set would be cool.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-30-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
I like it when people bring 5 gallon gas cans with gas. I usually fill the boat up at the gas station and those cans keep it going. As mentioned earlier, I can't ride by myself, nor do I want to. My riding crew is comprised of some great friends and they are good about fitting the bill and even if they don't, they take care of it in other ways. Cutting grass, helping out with home projects, etc. We have never had to set a price. People who aren't regulars are usually covered by whoever brings them.
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-31-2009, 4:25 AM Reply   
im lucky to get 20 bucks from a boat full of people for the day. people who get invited out think 'invite' means no pay just chill and ride for as long as they want. asking for $ from friends kinda sux. i cant believe people throw down 20-40 for one boat trip, thats awesome come on my boat.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-31-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
Higgins -

That's a good call. Bringing a 5 gallon can takes the number out of the mix, and provides some convenience to the owner as well. I think I'll start going that route going forward.

Thanks for the insight.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-31-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Just don't be d-bag and help out however you can. Offer money, bring gas, help clean, bring lunch, beverages, pay for campsites, daily passes, etc. All of these are ways to be a good third.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-31-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
I won't even accept an invite unless I can kick down some change. For an all day 3-4 session deal I usually kick down 40 bucks. If it's like half day or so and I only ride twice I'll drop 20.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-31-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
10 bux a ride seems legit to me. More than pays for gas. Just be curtious on all the rest of the stuff said above like the wipedown, lunch, or other expenses. A good one to suck up a little maybe once in a while get the owner a gift like a babes wipedown spray or boat wax or chamois or something. Just a thought.
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-31-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
I don't ask but I expect my repeaters to own up with something. When gas is cheap, its not so much a big deal, I'd honestly rather you come back to the house and help me detail. Thats the stuff that takes time and energy that no one seems to want to help with these days.

I'd say for a two pull day, give a guy $20. If you actually knew what it cost an owner in total costs, divided by hours on his boat, and your minutes of pulling....I am sure that aint close to cutting it even! Be Generous....and get invited back. If you get on someone's good side, he's likely to start telling you to hold on to some of that cash or where else you can help that isnt always monetary. Pick up a 4 pack of red bulls for the boat, bag of ice...those things go a long way in my book.
Old    supraguy            12-31-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
I have a boat and I will pull most any one, I like when people give me gas... If not between 20-30 is nice. I have had friends ride and not pay. So the next time the show up to ride and start putting there board on the rack I something like, Hey what are you doing you still owe me for the last pull so if you want to ride better have cash. Never had anyone get mad. I think it's like anything else if that can get it for free they will as long as they can. But if you call them out they kick in and really if your so called buddys don't kick in or help with the boat what kind of friend is that. The guys in my crew will have the boat out of the carport hooked to the truck and ready to go with gas in tank. Also help with cleaning, chip in with maintance and the cost of winterizing. Maybe I just have a great group that is stoked to ride and know what's up. But I i was ever without a boat I would be the same in return. So That being said I will be in Orlando area for the month of Feb and am looking for a crew to ride with...... Happy New Year Be Safe
Old     (adrien)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-31-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
My boat burns about 5-7 galons per hour so a 5 hour trip could cost between 65$ and $90 in gas depending how much we pull.

Annual maint is around $2500. So if I divide that out over say 30 trips per year (my average, I think) it would be close to $85 per trip.

So a 5 hour trip costs $75 in gas and $85 maint for a total $160 per trip in fuel and maint.

$40 from each rider would cover the costs for four riders on my boat.

In my opinion, I don't think thirds should be paying for the base cost of the boat. Just pay for what you use up.

Speaking of thirds - we are looking to schedule regular saturday trips this summer on Powell (I live in Page). See my post in "find a third" and let me know.

(Message edited by adrien on December 31, 2009)
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-31-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
I normally toss a guy one dollar for an all day outing with 3 to 4 pulls.

If he throws in some beer and a few snacks I'll give him two dollars.
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       12-31-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
Wake77 has it figured out... for most others... buy lotto tickets, that math will work in conjunction with ignoring what it's going to cost to replace in kind 5 years later. THAT is when you will know your per hour cost...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-31-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
I guess it depends on the gas prices where you are riding. But, it costs us 15-20 bucks (depending on the time of the year) for us to give a pull in our slammed Xstar. Keep in mind, that's seriously slammed and we have some of the highest gas prices in the county. We also factor in a 15-20 minute drive out to flat water.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-31-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
I'm with Andy G. I usually throw down $20-30 and bring plenty of beer/sodas and usually some snacks. If we're going on a longer trip (meaning not local), I'll try to throw down an appropriate amount more cash due to the trip gas but sometimes the boat owner declines that. Being a boat owner myself, I'm well aware of the costs and I lean toward the generous side when going with others. Each owner is a bit different about how much they will accept from their crew. I like to offer high and let them cut it down to something lower if they want. I really do appreciate being invited along to ride, and I'd like the other boat owners to know it. Oh, and ALWAYS offer to help clean the boat after the day of riding! I don't know a single boat owner that will turn that one down! They really appreciate the help!
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-01-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
I gotta go with Jdub. I don't get on the water without my friends so there's a fair amount of value in that alone. I really don't expect any money because we all end up trading pulls on each others boats anyway. $10 for what is usually 2 sets seems to the norm. I'm cool with it, especially with gas prices where they are.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-01-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
I dont have a boat but I ride average of 4 days a week from April to Nov. my payment for gas always depends on how many people are on the boat and hany times we will ride.

for instance if its just an afternoon session and theres 5 people we may only get one ride ill throw in $15.

if its an all day session and I'll get a few rides i have no problem bringing snacks and adult beverages and throwing the driver $30

say your on the lake for the weekend with 3 or more people, the boat owner should not have to pay for gas fo refill the boat,

I also buy a season pass to the local ramp and cover launch fees alot.

but this allll goes out the window when you ride a boat like the CIE boys BC (xstar) with 900000000lbs in it. they have calculated that it cost about $30 per ride i believe
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-01-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
I always bring a 5 gal can of gas. If I expect to be out riding all day I'll bring 2 cans. Can't get any simpler than that.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-02-2010, 11:20 PM Reply   
I had my friends bringing 5 gallons and it got them 2 or so sets. Depends on how long they ride and what not. As a broke college kid making all my money working at a theater, giving people free gas was not something I could afford to do.

Usually by the end of the day we've fallen back to the gas level from before we started riding. That's how I figured out how to charge for gas, by looking at how much gas is consumed versus who put how much in and stuff. If that makes sense.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-03-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
About the cash equivalent of 3-4 gals gas per set so about $10 / set works at todays prices and bring your own drinks and snacks with a little extra for the driver.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-03-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
I went from a 4 cylinder chevy engine in an old runabout to my 350 indmar in my 24SSV. My friends have been great about just throwing in every now and then since I got the boat. I don't expect much, and I certainly don't expect them to help paying for maintenance. As someone said above, I can't go by myself so why charge them like my boat was a rotating door. The people who come out every once in a while to just get a pull could be considerate and give me gas $$$ but I don't expect it, but it'd be nice.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-05-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
When I ride a buddy's boat I usually pay $10 per set, sometimes a little more if I dont have the change. In my own boat, it depends. Some people only come out once a summer, so I really dont expect them to offer anything for it. I have a few friends I ride with regularly, and they have gotten in the habit of either paying a few bucks for gas, which is all I need, or towing the boat to the lake, which I love because it means I dont have to use my parent's vehicles.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       01-05-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
20 bucks for the first pull and 5-10 bucks for the second pull. I never seem to charge more than 30 total. It all equals out.
Old     (backflop)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-05-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
If you bring gas its pretty easy to figure out, but if you pay for your rides in cash, how long should your pulls be? I mean you don't want to be a jerk and ride forever, but you also want to get the most bang for your buck. What do you guys think is the happy medium there?
Old    justinh            01-05-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
I don't ask for more than gas. It was my choice to own the boat.

Truly, I have different expectations for different riders. I will take on a charity case from time to time. Broke riders who are fun to be around, help with the boat, etc can feel free to chip what they can.

When I bum rides I prefer to bring a gas can.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-05-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
boat owners pay me to be their 3rd.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-05-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
When I have been a third, I have typically given between $20-40 depending on the boat and amount of sessions.

When I take out my boat, I won't take anything from a friend that I invited for the first time or an occasional trip. I do expect my regulars or anyone that asked to come to chip in. $10 is nice. $20 is great. Food works great, especially when the person lets me know ahead of time so I know I don't have to worry about bringing food for myself. So does offering to bring the ice or drinks. Beer, not so much, because, if I am driving, I will only have one or maybe two on a long day. I kind of shake my head at the guy who shows up with a 12 pack of beer but no gas money and acts like he is contributing something huge but then proceeds to drink 10 of 12 pack!
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-05-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
And showing up with cute single girls goes a long way as well!
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-05-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
I dont have a boat.. I have been a boat bum for along time.. But im a great third.. I usually try to give 20 for gas. Ill buy snacks or pitch for beer or buy gatorades for everyone.. I stay to help clean the boat and wipe it down. And since its an hour drive to get to the river we ride on. Ill offer to take everyone in my truck.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-05-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
I dont have a boat.. I have been a boat bum for along time.. But im a great third.. I usually try to give 20 for gas. Ill buy snacks or pitch for beer or buy gatorades for everyone.. I stay to help clean the boat and wipe it down. And since its an hour drive to get to the river we ride on. Ill offer to take everyone in my truck.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-08-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
"Annual maint is around $2500."

ha-ha, what? yeah right dude.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-08-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
We hit the gas station AFTER we are done riding, and split gas that way. Everyone knows how much was used, and is easy to split (and there is usually an ATM there too for anyone who may have forgot to bring cash, etc...)

And the boat is already full for the next trip, so we are not spending part of our riding time filling up, etc...
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-08-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^ is a great way to do it but we all go different ways after riding. $10 a pull is about right. I can't stand it when people show up with no money.

(Message edited by jaybee on January 08, 2010)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-08-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
$20 and help with clean up ie: wiping the boat down after use is appropriate.