Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (steveotx)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-19-2008, 5:34 AM Reply   
Looking at new tower speakers and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with the new Bullet Hollow Points? I like the aluminum cans vs plastic and the smaller size of the bullets.
http://www.bulletspeakers.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=2&option=co m_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Stevo- First off let me say that I AM THE BULLET REP IN NOR CAL (This way there is no confusion about where my opinion or ideas may or may not come from). I worked retail for many years (18) just minutes from the Delta in Nor Cal and over those years I worked on and sold some very high end audio systems into many boats. I have installed Wetsounds products as well as many other tower solutions. When I was approached to rep Bullet speakers I thought "Great, here is another expensive tower solution that will simply rip your head off at 100 ft but not really sound very good doing it". Then I heard his demo.....
Don't get me wrong, they still rip your lips off when powered correctly but to my amazement, they do a great job of bridging the gap between a multi 6X9 enclosure and something totally off the hook like the NVS or HSE products. And it does it in an easy to live with package that looks great on just about any boat. Either product you are looking at should work well enough....Now you need to listen to them both and let your ears make some of the decision.
Good Luck
Scott
Old     (brownman)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-20-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
Steve,
I recently through some of the same research you're going through right now. There's a ton of systems out there, suffice it to say I looked at lot of systems and won't bore you with the details.
I'm getting the 770 Hollow Points installed on my Sanger right now; i'll have it tomorrow. After hearing a bunch and figuring out what I could spend, I know I won't be unhappy with my Bullets. Scott is right, listen to em both and see if you can back yourself into your budget (if that's an issue)
Troy
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Troy- Nice to meet you....I just ordered your speakers for Ben the other day.....It's nice to meet the end user of my products. Perhaps I will see you around the shop.

Cheers
Scott
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
I have a question. Are the bullets hlcd's? They look like they are, but I have not seen anything to verify that.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-20-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
I just got a pair of 485's in and here's my experience.

We hooked one up to a spare head unit, spare battery, and amp I had laying around. Boy was this thing loud. Took me a minute to get it dialed in (note to self... these do not like any additional bass from the headunit).

At one point I had to put in some Boomer Sooner and the neighbor across the street came out screaming. Remember only one was hooked up, and it was only getting like 170W due to the amp we were using.

You Definately need an EQ for these things though. The are VERY touchy on the Bass. +1 on the bass on my Alpine's built in EQ and they would start to distort. Dropping it down to -1 and the midbass disappeared totally. Of course, I also had them underpowered which was a major problem... not to mention using the H/U's crappy built in EQ. WS-420 is soon to come

Otherwise the Highs were not harsh at all, and I'm usually exceptionally sensitive to horns and even metal tweets for that matter. Last year Tim had guarunteed me I wouldn't be offended, or he'd take them back. This even after I explained my background competing in Sound Q in IASCA. I backed out at the last minute. Shouldn't have hesitated. I can't wait to get them full power, and get an EQ on them. Not to mention can't wait to get the two up and screaming
Old     (brownman)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-20-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
Scott,
Thanks for dialing me in, you guys have been rock solid through this whole transaction and i can't wait to hear those 770's.

By the way, I was telling tim crain about you guys and he told me he's been taking his car to you for years.
Hope to see you around, i'm sure you will!

Troy
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Troy- I don't work for ACME, I am the rep for Bullet and many other lines that ACME supports. But I do hang out there quite a bit as Ben and Rene and I go way back. Glad you are having a good experience...ACME is a GREAT shop with some really great people. I am sure it wont be long before Ben chimes in on this post.

Cheers
Scott

(Message edited by pdqwrx on April 20, 2008)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-21-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
I pulled my eq's for other reasons, and started using this on my threesome setup (Grant and mikeski used to or still do run them? ) I really like the added midbass it gives with no distortion. I picked mine up on ebay for $25 shipped...very cheap...I think they retail for close to $200?

http://www.wavescaraudio.com/
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-21-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
didnt PPI make something like that? Or maybe that was it exactly???
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-21-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
I think PPI bought the rights to make or re package the Waves unit.Im pretty sure the PPI unit is the same thing s the Waves.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2008, 11:51 PM Reply   
Troy - It was a pleasure doing business with you and I'm glad the boat turned out the way that it did. How did the family like it when you got home? Enjoy you new found sound out on the other end of the rope this weekend. Give me a call on Monday!

Smile caused by Hollow Points:

Upload

Upload

(Message edited by soundbox on April 21, 2008)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-22-2008, 6:30 AM Reply   
i seriously doubt they are true hlcds.

they are advertising a 2" hlcd mounted coaxially to a 6.5" driver.. i admit to not seeing/hearing them. a 2" hlcd is a really, really big driver. it doesnt make sense to mount it to a really small 6.5 " driver. the horn lense/body would overwhelm the 6.5"