Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       03-05-2011, 11:20 PM Reply   
I am on the verge of buying an 2011 MB b52 widebody. I really like the ballast and looks of the boats. I talked to a mastercraft rep who told me they were crap. Can I get some opinions from you guys? I am also looking at a 2008 Supra Launch 22 ssv which I like but hate the color. Please give me some input. Thanks!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2011, 11:34 PM Reply   
The MC sales rep sounds like a douche, ignore everything he tells you and run far far away. Best idea is to have a look and form your own opinion. I have only heard great things but haven't got to see one in the flesh yet.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       03-05-2011, 11:44 PM Reply   
Thanks Darren! I just don't understand why they need to trash other boat brands. And I am running far far away.....
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-06-2011, 12:06 AM Reply   
Have you considered other boats? Not trying to sway you from mb, but if you're looking new, why not get a longer list for comparison? And when a salesman starts trashing other brands, that's a good sign to steer clear
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       03-06-2011, 12:11 AM Reply   
I have looked at other boats but the MB is a GREAT price. I do really like there ballast system which is 1800 lbs without bags. They use the pure vert system. It is like the old Calabria's had. They fill up in 60 seconds. I just want to make sure what I think is good is. It is a big investment.
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-06-2011, 5:38 AM Reply   
I have a 2010 TWB and love it. Lots of good boats out there, but I found, for the price, quality, and features, MB was the way to go for me.

It does not have alot of fancy screens and gas shocks on the seats when they lift, but is has a killer ballast system and the wake it puts out is amazing. Personally, all the extra moving parts on some of these boats just spells maintenance to me. If you are looking for Simple, Clean, Quality, and Function, go for it!

Not sure why a dealer would tell you other brands are crap. Maybe they were just trying to justify spending twice the amount of money on a boat that does a similar function (which is crap if you ask me...LOL)

PCM powered engine and transmission is a great combo. The tower on these boats is SOLID and can be taken down in minutes to put in a garage.

Are you looking at the 23 or 21 foot? I have the 21foot which has a TON of room for a 21 foot boat (I fit two full size surf boards in one hatch.

Good luck with your decision!
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-06-2011, 5:45 AM Reply   
Just to add, one of the main reasons I went with MB is because I have an 11 month old now and when I have enough free time to get on the water, I do not want to spend half of my time filling up bags and such (or changing the ballast setup). I can just drop the trailer in the water and while the rider is putting on their board, I can fill the ballast all the way. If a novice rider is going next, I can dump the ballast while I am pulling them up to give them a more mellow wake to hit.

Also, I would expect that your GREAT price includes everything you need on the boat already. Has a bimini, swivel racks, 6 speaker sound system, dual batteries, etc....No need to buy a boat and then have to spend thousands more to get the 'extras'...
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2011, 6:06 AM Reply   
go with the MB, you will not regret it. The wake is killer. I've found 3/4 ballast is perfect for me and my friends. Tons of storage in them and room. I've had 10 - 12 people on mine easily. Everything is very high quality, vinyl, carpet, tower, racks, etc. The tower is very solid and easy to take down. It is one of my favorite boats on the market right now.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2011, 6:19 AM Reply   
I love the MB widebody. The wake is amazing, and the pure-vert system is SOOOOO convenient. I've spent time on three of them, and each has been very nice. The vinyl is plush. The ride is solid. It's nice and deep. They are nice and quiet. If I was buying new, I'd definatly go with the MB.

That being said, the 22ssv is my second favorite wake I've ridden. The wake is huge out of the box. The ssv I used to ride was an 07, and the ballast filled very slowly. I know they took care of that problem, but I'm not sure in what year (I'm thinking 08 so you should be fine). In my experience, the MB wake cleaned up at a little slower speed, which I like, given that I'd prefer not to ride at 24. I ride the MB at about 21.5 to 22. This is no knock on the supra wake at all, but I just had to shorten the line a bit if I didn't want to ride as fast.

Good luck making your decision. It's a dilemma everyone should have!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
wakereviews' comment that there is tons of storage is an understatement. Surfboards easily fit in the rear lockers. That extra space in the lockers is nice when it comes to winterizing, changing the oil, etc. Also, there are no tanks or sacks in the way back there when you have to do maintenance. No ballast system to winterize either.
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
As a Mastercraft owner I will give you my input. Go with the MB!!! MB makes a great boat. If I were looking at buying a new boat I would probably get a B52 WB. The quality is great and the wake is amazing. I would say that the MB boats are every bit as good as Mastercraft or any other top end boat. I love my Mastercraft but MB boats are just as good IMO.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-06-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
I sell MasterCrafts. I think MB is a great boat for the money.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       03-06-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
Thanks to you all for your input! You are helping me with your input...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
I'm curious to see what mb brings in the next few years. They aren't quite there yet quality wise on the fit and finish imo but with the recent talent they brought on board I have no doubt they will be there shortly. An mb could very well be my next boat.
Old     (buluver)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-06-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
I have only heard good things on the newer MB. The TWB is suppose to be a very nice boat.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-06-2011, 9:31 PM Reply   
I] have the 2010 F21 Tomcat. I just had the wakeplate put on. The boat gets on plane in seconds now fully weighted. It is the best wake you can get from a stock 21' boat. People just dont know until they see one or ride one. Naysayers will be there wherever you go. I would give you a demo if you you were around Southern California. Who are you guys dealing with? Send me a pm I can share details and put you in touch with the "right" people if you know what I mean.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       03-06-2011, 9:39 PM Reply   
Thank slipknot. Did you have the wakeplate put on because it was taking to long to plane out with the boat fully weighted? I am buying in northern california with a great dealer. I am wondering if I will need a wakeplate. Give me your opinion please. I really appreciate your help!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-06-2011, 11:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
They aren't quite there yet quality wise on the fit and finish...
Ahh... the old "fit and finish" argument. No boat thread would be complete without it. I wish people could figure out a better way to criticize a boat.

In the case of the MB's, the "fit" is as good or better as any boat I've been in. There are no obvious gaps anywhere on the boat. The pieces all fit together as you'd expect. In two years nothing has come loose or fallen apart on my TWB.

As for "finish," I hope your not talking about the 40 oz. carpet or the 52 oz. vinyl (both tops in the industry).

Why don't you tell us exactly what you are referring to in the MB that doesn't measure up in the "fit and finish" department.

Last edited by ixfe; 03-07-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2011, 6:00 AM Reply   
The first sign a salesman is scared or unprofessional is cutting down the competition.I have ridden in both Mastercraft and MB's.BOTH have good wakes,i do think the Mastercraft is a little better wake.The mb is a great wake though.I've ridden in 4 year old MB's that were in excellent shape interior wiseThese weren't average use boats.They had 12 to 15 guys drinking and having fun surfing and wakeboarding multiple times a week,No issues with the boat other than a bent rudder and tore up prop,but i don't think any boat would have faired better against that stump.So to sum it up MB is a great boat,it might fall a little short of MASTER CRAFT in some areas,but it doesn't cost nearly as much.You can't go wrong with either boat.Just demo both boats and make a like and dislike list.Then compare prices and most importantly dealer service.GOOD LUCK!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2011, 7:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Ahh... the old "fit and finish" argument. No boat thread would be complete without it. I wish people could figure out a better way to criticize a boat.

In the case of the MB's, the "fit" is as good or better as any boat I've been in. There are no obvious gaps anywhere on the boat. The pieces all fit together as you'd expect. In two years nothing has come loose or fallen apart on my TWB.

As for "finish," I hope your not talking about the 40 oz. carpet or the 52 oz. vinyl (both tops in the industry).

Why don't you tell us exactly what you are referring to in the MB that doesn't measure up in the "fit and finish" department.

Ahaha see I struck a nerve. It's an opinion of mine, as is your own opinion an opinion of yours. Everyone can have one. I did spend a fair ammount of time in the latest offering at the boat show, and like I said the fit and finish is lacking in areas. The newly aquired MB engineer from another leading manufacturer agreed wholely with my comments and is working to change them in the upcoming model year boats.

Like I said when they fix some issues I that I can't stand about them I could be owning one in the future. Again just my opinion, you don't need to take offense to it or fall on the sword for MB in this instance.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-07-2011, 7:29 AM Reply   
That's one thing I really like about MB. It is a small company that makes a quality product, who listens to its customers.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-07-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
nautigirls pm sent

You will not be disappointed one bit
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-07-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Not sure were you are based out of, but I have my 2011 team 21' Tom for sale. I work directly with MB and can tell you that they are a one of a kind company. They build less than 300 boats each year and they are all hand crafted in California. The fit and finish is top notch. In the end, all of our time on the water is precision and so MB has spent years trying to make the most out of your time on the water. Between the ballasts, great racks, folding towers and stereos, they build a boat that is copmplete from the get go. With most other boat companies you have to buy a ton of options like racks, boat covers, stereos, bimini,etc.. that don't come on the base model boats, that is not the case with MB.

They are the Ron Popeil of boats - Set it an forget it! Hit the switch and enjoy.

Side note - If you are in Nocal hit me up and I will get you a demo asap. If not let know if you need help elsewhere. We at MB do not need to trash the other boat companies. We focus on our boats and our quality, not the others downfalls. Happy boating.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-07-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
Ive owned a Moomba LSV A Calabrua Pro V An MB B52 V 23 have been in A Malibu VLX LSV Tige 24 V Supra 22 Centurian Enzo Nautique 210 Mastercraft X Star and a couple Bayliners he he Love every bout I have owned or been in but can tell you this......

The MB boats are high quality, look fantastic and have a great wake, especially the surf wake. Im not saying it has the biggest or cleanest wake because I don't think it does, but I am saying it is world class and right up therte with any other manufacturer in the business. When we used to go to the lake, more people would gather around my boat then any other because it looked that good. Birght yellow with the black flames...the interior look tight and was comfortable. Not trying to persuade you to go with the MB I think the Supra is an excellent choice, although when compared to the lookds separtment i think MB puts Supra to shame. Good luck I am jelous wish I was boat shopping
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-07-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
Good Lord sorry about all the typos man I need to slow down and smell the coffee
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-07-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
I don't have any experience with MB. I will say this though. I would never buy a boat I hate the color of so that would make me lean towards the MB over the Supra.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-07-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
we have a new 2011 F21 Tomcat ready to demo in Orlando...PM if anyone wants to check it out for themself...it's all there
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-07-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
oh yeah....our water temp is already 75+
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-07-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ahaha see I struck a nerve. It's an opinion of mine, as is your own opinion an opinion of yours. Everyone can have one. I did spend a fair ammount of time in the latest offering at the boat show, and like I said the fit and finish is lacking in areas. The newly aquired MB engineer from another leading manufacturer agreed wholely with my comments and is working to change them in the upcoming model year boats.

Like I said when they fix some issues I that I can't stand about them I could be owning one in the future. Again just my opinion, you don't need to take offense to it or fall on the sword for MB in this instance.
Could you elaborate on the issues? I would like to know what your opinion is on the deficiencies of the MB line.

thx.

m-
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
Some people drink the kool aid.Others give fair honest opinions. please keep that in mind.all boats have some faults.That's why it's important for you to demo the boats and form your own opinions.Then you can ask questions about things that aren't clear.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2011, 5:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaijogo View Post
Could you elaborate on the issues? I would like to know what your opinion is on the deficiencies of the MB line.

thx.

m-
"Issues" was a poor choice of words on my part without qualifying the statement. I meant issues based on my taste that would prevent me from owning one at this time. Didn't mean they are issues or defects in the boat itself. I'm not going to go into what IMO is lacking as that wouldn't do any good and just piss more people off I'm sure. I will say that given the track record and resume of the individual I spoke of in the earlier post I have no doubt these will be worked out and more. I think MB has a really bright future and could really see myself owning one soon. There are many things I like about the boat (23 wb) I was looking at, especially the price. We'll see what that price does when some changes are implemented though. Hope that's fair enough.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-07-2011, 6:17 PM Reply   
Look at mister diplomacy
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-07-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
"Issues" was a poor choice of words on my part without qualifying the statement. I meant issues based on my taste that would prevent me from owning one at this time. Didn't mean they are issues or defects in the boat itself. I'm not going to go into what IMO is lacking as that wouldn't do any good and just piss more people off I'm sure. I will say that given the track record and resume of the individual I spoke of in the earlier post I have no doubt these will be worked out and more. I think MB has a really bright future and could really see myself owning one soon. There are many things I like about the boat (23 wb) I was looking at, especially the price. We'll see what that price does when some changes are implemented though. Hope that's fair enough.
Nu Bu,

You are a good guy; I always like your posts... very knowledgable boat guy. You're just not an MB fan... it's cool, I get that. I'm not an Axis, Moomba, Sanger, or Supreme fan.

You're 100% right... you are entitled to express your opinion. That's what forums are for! I just have an alergic reaction every time I hear the "fit and finish" argument in any boat thread. It's a very over-used phrase that says very little. If you could be more specific, it would be more helpful to the OP. That's all I meant with my post.

Sometimes I think people say "fit and finish" when they mean "features." MB uses the very best materials... they just skip things like screens, power wedges, rider profiles, chrome, snap in carpet, etc. So I would say the "fit and finish" is superb, but the "features" are less. But then again, the price is less too.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-08-2011, 6:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Nu Bu,

You are a good guy; I always like your posts... very knowledgable boat guy. You're just not an MB fan... it's cool, I get that. I'm not an Axis, Moomba, Sanger, or Supreme fan.

You're 100% right... you are entitled to express your opinion. That's what forums are for! I just have an alergic reaction every time I hear the "fit and finish" argument in any boat thread. It's a very over-used phrase that says very little. If you could be more specific, it would be more helpful to the OP. That's all I meant with my post.

Sometimes I think people say "fit and finish" when they mean "features." MB uses the very best materials... they just skip things like screens, power wedges, rider profiles, chrome, snap in carpet, etc. So I would say the "fit and finish" is superb, but the "features" are less. But then again, the price is less too.

Thanks dude, you're alright too. I wasn't talking about any features though, honestly. I'm almost a fan, working on it.

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 03-08-2011 at 7:02 AM.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-08-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
I agree with what DBC said.

I'd pull the trigger on the MB TWB over a Supra. Much rather have the integrated ballast than gadgets. They are both built great and the supra looks better but the MB hits more of my priorities in a boat. When boats are fairly similar to your needs, please look hard at your dealer relationship and what others think about their service after the sale. Water test all boats of course. Have fun with it

Malibu dealer did the same bashing when I bought my Centurion, I walked between the boats and looked at Cent's snap-out carpet and molded cap and then the bu with the 'L' brackets holding the seat bases to the floor and $15k more at the time. I don't bash Bu's but always laugh at salespeople who tear down the competition instead of pointing out what sets their brand better.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-08-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
The one thing that bugs me a bit with the newer MB's is they seem shallow in the interior due to the ballast tanks in the floor. When you sit in the boat the gunnel doesn't come very high on my back like I find in some other boats. I have noticed the drivers seats rock a bit on the pivot point as well. I do like the boats a lot though and would highly consider one again. I have a 2000 MB
Old     (jumpman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
nautigirls, Any update?
Old    SamIngram            03-09-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
nautigirls,
PM me or tell me your email address, I can't figure out how to PM you.

I have a personal MB Sports experience, but I don't want to post it here.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-09-2011, 10:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'm not an Axis, Moomba, Sanger, or Supreme fan.
Thems fighting words. You crossed the line!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2011, 5:38 AM Reply   
i would add the epic 21v to your list , it seems to fit all your needs..