Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-18-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
i've mentioned before that i am not a small girl, and that's one thing that kept me from starting to ride last year..but i sucked it up and found a good PFD that keeps my boobs in and started trying hard this year..any advice for bigger girls?? i feel like i'm so big out there, in my guys vest, and it's difficult for me to stay comfy..any tips on making this successful would be greatly appreciated!!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-18-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
farrah, i can't give advice on vests or bigger girls riding because i'm on the thin side and don't have your "vest" issue, but i think you need to give yourself a little more credit ... what difference what size you are? you're out riding and very few girls even give it a try - that's impressive in and of itself. i say have fun!
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-18-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
thanks..i guess my fear is that it will be that much harder for me once i start to try and jump the wake--cause i haven't gotten that far yet!!
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
Hi farrah... not sure what size you are talking about, but I'm 5'6 and 155 and have no trouble jumping the wake. I also have no boobs.. so can't help with that problem. If you really love riding, then go for it, there are guys out there who are over 350 and are doing inverts, if they can do that, you can get jump the wake no problem. You may feel uncomfortable out there because you are still a new rider, once you get more used to the board and riding you will start to feel better.
Keep riding and having fun, who cares what size you are.
Tiff
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
Oh im right there with you Tiff! Im bout 5'7" 5'" and bout 150, on a good day, with no boobs lol. But I still love goin out there and have the best time of my life. Don't even worry about it. People are going to be inpressed that you're out there trying wakeboarding in the first place! I'm kinda self consicous about myself too sometimes, specially at the beginning of the summer. But once i get out there im just like, screw this, i don't even care anymore. If people don't like me for who I am, they arent worth my time. Just go out there and have fun. I rode with this one guy last year and he was a big guy but he was getting huge air! Just stay with it and you'll be ridin like Dallas in no time! good luck!

Jamie
Old     (finleym)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
I am about 5'5" 5" and about 155, I have a pretty good size chest and I can clear the wake heelside and almost have toeside. I recently bought the womens 2006 o'neill law vest, it is thin up top alot easier to move in it. I am with the other girls though, just go out there and have fun, I do better when I am not thinking about riding and just go out there and ride.
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-20-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
Heck, Farrah you don't say how big you are but I'm sure my family has you beat! The girls in my family are bigger than lots of guys!My sister who started me in this sport is 5'10" and runs about 160. I am 5'11" and 170 my daughter is 6ft and about the same. My sister is the most advanced rider and is working on clearing the wake. My daughter and I are working on edging. My daughter and I have the same chest issue. I am going to try that hyperlite vest that has the chest cut differently so is makes for more room in the "frontal region". Keep demoing stuff till you find stuff your comfy in and you'll feel better about being on the water. Big guys do this all the time,size isn't an issue. (My son is 6'4" and 225)Oh and I just started last year and I'm 41 so if big old me can learn, you can too! Just remember to have fun!
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-20-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
Farrah, I feel you're pain, Im proly the biggest one on here and I share your concerns. I'm 5'6" and weight... ugh.. 230. But as everyone else said, get out there have fun, and if people have negative comments then to heck with 'em. I'm a 38 D chest and it is tight in the pfd for sure. Right now I'm wearing a guys jetpilot vest and it's defenitly snug but it gets the job done. As far as jumping the wake... I'm working on that right now and I'm at the point where I know I can do it's just a matter of getting it done. So no worries, go out there, rip it up, and have a good time! 'Cause that, my friend, is what it's all about!
Old     (kickasskel)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
I definitely hear you....I am 5'9" and weigh a lot more than most girls would but I clear w2w both sides, do most 180s, some grabs and I am trying to work up the nerve to try a 360. My height or weight never stopped me from having fun! It's all about enjoying yourself and your physique should not be a concern. Just have fun!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
And as I'm finding out from this thread, weight has NOTHING to do with it because if it did, I'd be flying high across the wake: I'm 5'8", 120#. But I still can't do w2w ... cuz why? Cuz I'm a chickensh*t!! It really is all about cutting and getting pop off the wake. You can definitely do it; just gotta go for it!
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
thanks for all the support girls!! i'm a fairly confident person, so i don't need a lot of stroking :-) but you're all correct!!

bess-i'll have to try the vest..i am in a men's body glove right now, and it's a little big..i like the coverage, because women's vests tend to be really short, and the last thing i want is my tummy hanging out!! but it is really constricting..i'll have to look at that!! thanks!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-21-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Farrah - I also have a big chest and the best vest I have found so far is the Hyperlite Profile. It has molded cups and it's very roomy in the chest, so it's great for girls with bigger assets.

Hope that helps.
Old     (finleym)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
The O'neill law isn't short like the jetpilot girls side entry vest, it covers my belly well, I rode in it for the first time today since I have bought it and it is the most comfortable vest I have ever bought. I was actually able to do an indy grab for the first time with it today. My old hyperlite was just to bulky and thick. If you try this vest I hope that it works for you.
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
i plan to look for a new vest over the cold months..i'll try both of these.,.thanks so much!!
Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
I am sending my wife to read these posts. She just started this year, I have been riding for a while and she was always intimidated by the small quick riders you always see. Thanks for being an inspiration!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Tell your wife welcome to wakeboarding!!! It's awesome fun. And trust me ... nobody does more faceplants than me - that's why my crew calls them Smiley Kylies!! As for "small quick riders," I think they're few and far between. I've NEVER seen boatloads of girls who look like the ones on the boat bun thread! Most girls I see are just out having fun and tearing it up in their own way. Whether it be just getting up and staying up or doing tricks, WAKEBOARD CHICKS ARE WAY COOL!!
Old     (thegirl)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
well, if this helps, I am NEITHER small nor quick. In fact, I'm 5'6", 147# and 51 years old. I use a Yahaha vest-type PFD that has three buckles so I can custom fit the vest over my chest. I wonder if it would help to wear a sports bra under my bathing suit as well. Anbody else wearing one?

I also always wear a shorty Farmer Jane wetsuit - keeps the enemas at a minimum!
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-19-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
My girl friend has a large chest and rides the new Hyperlite vest and loves it.
Old     (fuzzball)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-20-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
Another vote for the HO vest with molded "cups". I got one for my girlfriend last year and she loves it. She is small bodied but is on the larger size for chest and she says "it keeps things where they're supposed to be!"
Old     (wakegrace)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
one more vote for the hyperlight profile...its my favorite vest to use and it definately gets the job done..
Old     (wake_nurse)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
I'm 5'4" and weight about 148. My 'girls' needed more support, and I have found that the HO vest that Brian mentioned works best for me.

Yeah, I've yet to see any Kate Moss-types out there riding either. I'm 45 and just started this year (16 years of snowboarding help), and love it.

Wendy, I sucked it up and spent the $$ on a suit with decent cups, it's helped tremendously!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-05-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
This year Body Glove came out with a women's vest called the Rev...it has the darts in teh right spot to help the 'girls' fit in the vest best IMO.
Old     (jmiahhenry)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
my wife is a size 16 and likes the hyperlite vests
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-08-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
thanks for all the great suggestions..i actually stole my boyfriend's because it didn't fit him right and i love it!! now i just need to find a great suit..is it too much to ask for an underwire tankini that covers my belly and holds my boobs??!! hope everyone is enjoying the summer here in the midwest!! i'm working on jumping the wake and getting more confident!!
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
Farrah, here's a lil "spin." I'm brand new to wakeboarding...but anywho. I'm 4'8", have a big chest for my size and they get in my way...let me tell ya'...it's hard to find anything to fit. I'm trying to find a bathing suit that I don't feel like I'm falling out of the top. my vest bugs me a bit, it's too big around the middle, but just right in the boob area, too big in the shoulder area. as long as we can find a comfort zone/happy medium, then maybe that'll work. I have an O'neill, that's all I can remember right now. they seem to have women's gear that offer curves in their merchandise more than some other brands....and yes, I'm learning, who cares what others think...enjoy yourself and have fun! used to feel like I was wearing my big sis's stuff sometimes until we spent a lil more money and found a shop that worked.
Old     (littlewhopican)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-03-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
What boards are you ladies riding? Im 5'5" and 160. Getting ready to get my first board and not sure what one to go with?
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
hi Erin,
I'm 4'8", 100lbs. I have a Liquid force Angel, 140. and I love it!!!! I've been told that an intermediate board can be better than a beginners board due to 'growth"....money wise in some aspects, but I feel completely comfortable with this board being a newbee. Was going to go with the Lotus, but I've also heard good things about that board as well.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-08-2007, 9:37 PM Reply   
Maybe if my wife reads this and I get her the right vest she'll try boarding. Very enlightening to me so thank all you ladies for being so bold, it does help.
Rick
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
erin-
i'm 5'3" and a liktle heavier than you..i like riding men's boards because they seem to be a little more stable-wider and longer..i ride a liquid force 2006 substance 138 with sphynx bindings..i love it! it is the men's version of the women's cadence, so you might like that too!

it's been really cool to see so much response on this thread! thanks so much! as i read back i keep thikning to myself--how nice would it be to be a guy??!! all we'd need is a pair of freakin shorts!!

keep riding!
Old     (littlewhopican)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-10-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input ladies. I tried using my sisters board to see if I could even get up. she has a hyperlite Eden. I got up once but the handle kept yanking out of my hand. Am I not strong enough??
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       08-11-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
Well i'm a bigger girl. 5'9 160lbs and im a 36DDD and my vapor vest by oneill works great! Its a mens vest and you just pull it over your head and zip up the back. Its not coast guard approved though if thats something your looking for. But it fits the girls pretty decently!
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-13-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
See I¡¦m about a B/C but I have a 36 with and I find that the O¡¦Neil law is the best. Since I am a little brooder than some girls. Plus it covers my tummy. This thread gives me some confidence about my self saying that I am average now. That it¡¦s the younger girls that are the thin tiny ones. Thanks girls ƒº
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-13-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
5'8", 125 lbs. i ride the substance 138 also, with ronix divide (guys) bindings and love both. and i'm definitely NOT one of the "younger girls" - lol! and i can't find a swimsuit that i like either. girls never think any swimsuit looks good on them, imo! erin - some things you might try: if it was truly that your arms were not strong enough to hold onto the handle, try "girl" push-ups to strengthen them. it's possible that you're just letting go because you're not expecting the hard pull. maybe try keeping your arms kinda taut and hold on really tight to the handle (grip strength). expect the handle to pull you forward when you're getting up, so be prepared for that and don't allow yourself to follow that forward motion but keep your grip tight so the handle doesn't get away from you. try on dry land sitting on your butt and holding onto the handle in the position you would get up on the board and have someone pull the rope part of the handle from a few feet away so you get the feel of it. then you kind of know what to expect when you're in the water and it's not such a surprise. good luck! and farrah - i'm working on w2w, so maybe this summer we'll both do wake jumps! last time out i consistently landed with my lead foot on the opposite wake ... only a few more inches to go!
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
us girls rock!!
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-15-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
I'm 4'8", 100lbs, and at times, yes I can feel the handle start to slip from my grasp. I just don't let it. yes, i definitely need some more upper strength. I'm basically as tiny as a kid w/a woman's body and extra weight. for me, i don't let the rope "get the best of me." when I get up, it's much easier to hold on for me after i get up. Kylie has great tips. she always does and it's worked for me so far. get used to the hard pull at 1st and then it seems to even out...so-to-speak. I firmly believe that yes, strenght has something to do with it, but technique will always be more important and get us all further. no matter what stage we're at. you'll feel the burn, but that also means you're getting the work out and your muscles will get used to it. the push ups do help. maybe get some 5lbs free weights as well. remembering to expect that initial jerk helps me hang on
Old     (littlewhopican)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-16-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
I went this weekend and used my sisters board again. She has the HL Eden 130. She told me when Im in the water to just put my elbows on my knees and hold on and i popped right up. Im SOOOO excited now.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-16-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
Good for you Erin. did you just love the feel on the water and start to have a good time.
Old     (littlewhopican)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
Im soooo addicted now. I am also SOOOOO SORE!!!
Old     (nancy)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-17-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
I got stuck with these Noise Boots 06 large. I have them posted in the binding section. If any of you are interested please make an offer before I put them on ebay. jreeves1609@sbcglobal.netUpload
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-20-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
farrah, i am not a big girl, i couldn't be one if i tried....believe me the grass is always greener on da otha side! i catch stink for being small but you know what sistah nothing matters when you are out there behind the boat because it is all about you! sometimes i think about it but for me when i am behind the boat....shootz that's my time when i fell most free and leave all my worries at the dock! keep riding for you!
aloha