Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
I'm trying to make a decision about what to do for a tow vehicle for my X2 and I'm looking for advice from others who own boats and have had a similar dilemma.

My problem is that I have a 2006 X2 that weighs about 4450-4600 lbs depending on whose word you take and an Acura MDX that has a towing capacity of 4500 lbs, according to the manufacturer. Originally my plan was to store the boat at the lake so I'd only have to take it 200 yards from storage to the launch ramp, but now that I have the boat that idea doesn't make as much sense as it did before. First of all I want to be able to take it to other lakes without counting on a friend's vehicle, plus even though the MDX is 4WD it may have considerable trouble towing out of the water and up the ramp with such a high load ratio.

Does anyone tow their boat with an MDX? If so, what type of boat is it and have you had any trouble towing it? I would just try it and find out, but the Acura doesn't have a tow package yet and if it turns out that it just isn't possible to tow with the Acura I suppose I'll trade it in on a Tahoe, but would rather not spend the money on the tow pkg just to find out that the vehicle can't do the job. I've seen it done in pictures, but never spoke to an owner about it.

I know a lot of you will say to just ditch the MDX and get some monstrosity, but I prefer small cars because I don't want to get 13 MPG and I'm perfectly confident in myself without a huge flashy vehicle J/K, but please keep that in mind when you advise.

Thanks in advance for your comments!