Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (digitalsi)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-01-2008, 11:40 PM Reply   

I have surfed and skated for 10 years now and I am about to start wake boarding. Not sure whether to purchase a 3 stage or continuous type board as my first board. Any advice?

(Message edited by digitalsi on April 02, 2008)
Old    alanp            04-02-2008, 12:37 AM Reply   
continuous = more consistent pop and better for beginners

(Message edited by alanp on April 02, 2008)
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-02-2008, 3:44 AM Reply   
continuous also seem to throw you farther out into the flatts where three stage seems to give you more vertical pop. I ride a LF Trip and that is continuous, the fact that it throws you farther rather than higher to me makes it a little bit easier to learn Wake to Wake, but dont think that you cant go high with a continuous :-)
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-02-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Continuous is usually much faster also. If you are behind a big wake and experienced with boardsports, you'll be going big with any rocker. If anyone says you can't go big with continuous rocker, they're flat out wrong. I've been wakeboarding for 12+ years and skating/snowboarding for 20+. I lean towards continuous and something that carves nice for fun.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-02-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Forgot to mention this-make sure that you get a board that's big enough. Bigger board will = bigger air and softer landings more than rocker type ever will.

Actually, if you want to get a reasonably priced board that rips, check out an old Liquid Force Balance. They still have some leftovers at www.the-house.com for $200. I loved that board and still ride it alot. SOOOO fast!
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-02-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
Idk if i completely agree with the continuous for a beginner deal. I think its personal taste over which one u like. I have a friend that just started out and hates continuous boards. Hes ridden several of each kind and prefers three stage. I say ride both and then pick which one u like better
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-02-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
I believe that it has alot to do with what you start to ride harder on first. I went from an old Motive which was a continuous, i learned on that, did just fine, enjoyed the smooth pop and consistancey, i then rode my buddies Absolute and, while it was different, thought wow, this is where its at, the vertical pop i really enjoyed so i've been three stage ever since.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-03-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
I started out on a continuous and then went to a 3 stage and I won't go back.
Old     (rkitz44)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-17-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
I started with a 3 stage and went to abrupt continuous but that's to make up for my lack of technique, LOL. Continuous is more predictable and usually better for beginners. Keep in mind what boat you are behind. If you have narrow peaky wakes a 3 stage might be best. If you are starting with wider wakes definatley go with the faster continuous with more carry.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-17-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
I started on a LF Stance, which has a decent continuous rocker. Bought a Watson last year, which is sometimes listed as a Hybrid (it's an 07) or a 3 stage. The edging is different, the Watson sort of rolls over and grabs an edge really quickly when cutting in, the Stance is easier to make smooth cuts on. Since the boards are different shapes and sizes (Stance - 138, Watson - 134) it's a little hard to directly compare the pop, but the Watson does feel more straight up than the Stance as others have mentioned.

I still ride both boards, I still get plenty of pop on both. I find a Continuous rocker is a little better for riding in choppy conditions.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-21-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
It sound to me CONTINUOUS,Hands Down ,
Who Knew?