Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-12-2007, 11:15 PM Reply   
We are planning a weekend at the ditch, Sept 29-30, between Choctawhatchee Bay and West Bay near Panama City. Plan so far is to camp out along the intracoastal along there somewhere that we can move the boats out of the main channel at night for the barges. If you have never riden here you should come out and check out the water, one of the best spots we have found in NWFL. There is a ramp at N 30 22 21 W 86 06 53 on google earth, just go north on 395 off 98, south of the coordinates. Im sure there are others as well but only know of this one close by. You can always launch where you normally do cruise to the ditch and bring out some gas cans. At this point, we should have at least a few boats out there and hopefully more as they find out about the date. Come out, meet some new wakeboarders and ride some glass. More info to come as the date gets closer.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-13-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
Nice.
Old     (driver_dad)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-13-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
Bob, is the ramp at the end of 395? We won't be able to camp out but it sounds like fun so my kids and I may try to get there on Saturday. We've never been to the "ditch" but no problem sharing the water with several boats? I assume you just go a little further down the intercoastal as needed. Thanks!
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
We ride the ditch on the east side of Panama City all the time. We might have to head your way and meet some fellow wakeworlders! Like Charlie we probably will not camp but will come out on Saturday.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-16-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
We look forward to seeing both of you out there. I would like to find another ramp close to where we will be riding so as not to overload that spot or at least verify what space we do have. I think I'll try to get out there and look around sometime this week.
Old    sdahockey21            09-17-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
Bob, Boat do not knwo when we will be able to get the boat. Sounds like an Awesome place though!!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-19-2007, 12:04 AM Reply   
Here are a couple links for a ramp on the east end of the ditch/intracoastal and I'm still looking to see if there is another on the west end but doubt there is one. http://www.co.bay.fl.us/community/ramps_map.pdf
http://www.co.bay.fl.us/community/parks_list.pdf
BV Buchanan has a ramp, never been there though.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-23-2007, 9:43 PM Reply   
Lets keep an eye on the weather and I may be riding with someone else if my parts dont show up in time to put them in. I will post updates as the week goes.
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2007, 5:19 AM Reply   
Yeah, Charlie, plenty of room on the water, even if there were 15+ boats. There is semi-limited space at the boat ramp, but when it gets "busy" (5 trailers) people just park further down alongside the road. Its not exactly a highly populated area, so I don't think anyone would care. Once you ride at the Ditch, you won't want to ride anywhere else. A choppy day at the ditch is like a calm morning in Rocky or Cinco.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-24-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
That place sounds like a dream....besides the salt. How far away is it from FWB? We have to try and get over there....
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
45min. It is a dream. Map below...view in "hybrid" mode as "map" mode isn't accurate.

-86.111569&spn=0.025695,0.039911&t=h&z=15&om=1,http ://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117624315531986119447. 00043732e3ef918b748b5&ll=30.376652,-86.111569&spn=0.025695,0.039911&t=h&z=15&om=1
Old    sdahockey21            09-24-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Man Bob, we will not be able to drive up and get the X2 back for another 2 weeks, Anyway can I hang with you guys even if I don't have a boat present??

I am dieing to ride.. that place does sound like a dream!!

(Message edited by SDAhockey21 on September 24, 2007)

(Message edited by sdahockey21 on September 24, 2007)
Old    sdahockey21            09-24-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
WOW I just looked at the Google Earth Image.... That is Amazing, You can ride that forever!!

I'M pumped, I did not know there were any riders around here!! Nice!
Old    sdahockey21            09-24-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
Here are pictures of our X2. If you ever see us on the water flag us down.

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF3140.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF3051.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF3026.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-25-2007, 2:26 AM Reply   
Now you did it Matt, the secret spot is out on google earth
Kani, I think salt is a good thing- I guess the virus thing in florida only lives in fresh water, so Ive heard.
Sam is that a wakesurfer on your tower?
I will let everyone know the plans and availability of space as soon as I know. Keep your eye on this post or your email.
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Yeah, but it'd be fun to have more people out there sometimes. Perfect glassy water all day long just gets boring. We rode in Poquito yesterday and it was decent...but we're such "butter" junkies now even the slightest chop appears and we start bitching.

Bob - I figured you let the cat out of the bag, so I can't be held responsible.
Old    sdahockey21            09-25-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Bob YEs that is a WakeSurfer, Its with the boat in SC :-(

The only stuff I have is my board, vest and line.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
I never thought about going over there, looks like I need to take a little trip one weekend and check it out.

Weskel
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
Do you guys ride all winter long?

I was thinking of getting a wetsuit this winter so I could keep ridding.

Weskel
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-25-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
It sometimes gets cold enough that wetsuits hardly even do it but we always manage to go out at least once in trunks and try it for one run where you scared to fall from an ollie cause it'll sting so bad. Your body just locks up, kinda fun.
Old    sdahockey21            09-25-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
I rode all winter last year. Plan on doing it again this year. But the worst part of it has to be, being scared to do anything special because you know if you eat it, you going to be freezing again. Its not the water that gets you, its the AIR.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-25-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
DRYSUIT , Kelly you should come over this weekend, we should if things work out, have a good crew with a few boats worth riding.}
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
I would love to hook up with you guys this weekend, but this is a very busy weekend for us.

Friday - Birthday Party (for me)
Saturday - Soccer games
Saturday night - Rodeo
Sunday - might be free....

but all that makes for a long weekend....

I would really like to get some pointers from you guys in person before the season is over.

I havent done too bad with this being my first season, in my opinion.....

I know my stance is all out of whack, look at my profile pic and you will see.....

Is there anywhere alone the canal where the water is shallow enough for the kids to swim and play in?

Kelly

(Message edited by weskel on September 25, 2007)
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2007, 5:51 AM Reply   
There are a lot of beachy areas that are shallow for about 20ft out. But make sure you grab your kids if you see a barge come by. Locals claim that those things can suck you under from a long ways away.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-26-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
I really want to gt out there too but we have a pretty busy weekend. We are planning on riding all winter too....Just have a wetsuit though.I definately want to hook up and ride with some of you guys and meet some more riders in the area that are willing to get the good water. Someone was saying that Lake Martin is good too and not too far.
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
oh, another warning...sometimes there are a few logs out there. I usually like to wear a helmet just in case, but some people I ride with are too cool for helmets.

Occasionally the jellyfish are really bad so I always make sure I bring a rash guard to minimize the stings.
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Over on our side of the Ditch (east of PC) the jellies have been terrible this year! And the water this year has been much more salty than previous years but I will deal with it for the glass. Still trying to work out a crew to come over there this weekend, my normal crew are all going to Gainesville this weekend. If any of you guys ever want to take a long ride feel free to head over this way, we are the only wake boat on this side of ditch.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Go GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that AU is much worries.
Old    sdahockey21            09-26-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Any of you guys been up to Lake Jackson, In Florala, Al. Its half in FL and Half in AL. Its is a small lake but there is always glass on at least on side, and it is abandoned in the winter. We ride there all the time and it is a really cool place. Its only about 10 feet deep though, and the wake sometimes doesn't completely form up when it gets below 10ft.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2007, 11:44 PM Reply   
UPS says the parts are on the way, should be here sometime thurs and the weather report is looking great fri-sun.
Reese or Matt, are the jellies still bad, as we noticed alot this past summer in the bay and around crab island but lately we havent seen many?
Sam, some of us locals used to go up to jackson till we realized what a pain in the arse it was to drive an hour for a small lake when you can usually find good water around here somewhere. As far as winter goes, the sound will be abandoned pretty soon and it will be glass also. It happens every winter, water gets cold then the conditions are great for riding. Juanas last weekend looked like it was january or something, guess the touristas do make that much difference.
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
We were out there last week and the jellies weren't bad...but you never know...however, we have been out there at least once a week all this summer and there was only once that they were too bad to ride. And yes, the same time they are bad at Crab Island is about the same time they are bad at the Ditch.
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
so what exactly is the plan? Just go ride until we run into each other? That might take a while since its so long...and during the day there are usually certain straightaways that are calmer than others that we will want to stick to. my number is 850-240-2683 if anyone wants to find out where we are.
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
The jellies were not bad the last couple of weeks, there were still a few but not near like they were earlier in the year.
Old    sdahockey21            09-27-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
Matt do you think I could get a pull??? OR is your boat full?
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
Sam - yes, I can take you. I just talked to Bob and he won't know for sure if his boat is good to go until tomorrow. I'm hoping we will all be able to switch around and try different people's setups anyway.

I'm planning on having the boat in the water by 11am on Sat and Sun. We can meet at the ramp at Washington Point (395) or I can pick you up in Destin on my way out there.

Funny, I just noticed you have the same bindings and same board I used to have. Still love the bindings, but hate the board after trying the CWB Transcend '05. Bought the '07 and its even better.

(Message edited by hokiesax on September 27, 2007)
Old    sdahockey21            09-28-2007, 5:50 AM Reply   
I am not sure if i can make it out yet, but 11 is good for me, I will probably just drive all the way out so I can check things out over there. How far is it from Niceville, 30min?

Matt- I just got a pair of 2007 closeout RONIX ones for $250, they are amazing! The 3DS I had gave me blisters... Love my new RONIX ONES> I still like the Murray. But thinking that it is way to heavy. I might have to try your board if I can.

Here is my Cell 850 499-7337

I will confirm tonight if I can go or not.
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
Probably closer to 45min. Might want to take 20 to the 331 bridge to avoid Saturday traffic in Destin.
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
HEADCOUNT So who is coming which day(s)? What boats are coming? So far the only definites sound like my boat, Aaron's and Bob's (if it gets fixed today).

REESE - if you need people for your boat I will gladly leave my ghetto-ass rustbucket at home and we can ride with you. I currently only have my wife and Sam riding with me.

(Message edited by hokiesax on September 28, 2007)
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-28-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
We may take our boat out Sunday, It would be cool to cruise over to the East side and check it out.

As long as you guys would'nt make to much fun of me and my I/O....

We always launch in Rocky Bayou, would it be a long haul across the bay from there?

or

Are there any ramps that are closer but on the North side of the Bay?
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-28-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
If we can't make it out there this weekend, do you guys ride there all the time?
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
Bob and Aaron's boats are I/O and I hear their wake is bigger than my inboard.

It will take you forever to get there from Rocky. I'm sure there are a bunch of ramps...but the only ones I know of are at Washington Point right next to Ditch (Check out my google map link above) and there are some ramps on the 331 bridge/cutacross thing.

We ride there every weekend (unless its windy..then we kiteboard)
Old    sdahockey21            09-28-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
Thats right Use the wind to your advantage!!

Really hopen to ride with you guys tommarrow, it should be a good time.

I have a 540lb sack but no pump, anybody need some weight??

(Message edited by sdahockey21 on September 28, 2007)
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
i have two extra 700lbs sacs and one pump that we can all share...
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
Hate to say it guys but I am not going to be able to make it. I gotta work but I am going to tow my boat to the job site (PC Beach) just in case I can finish up I can try and hit it late. I really wanted to get to meet some other riders in the area, maybe we can hit it up again later.
Old    sdahockey21            09-28-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
I am about 90% sure i can come out and ride with you guys tomorrow

Matt- I just got your voicemail, and I will call you in the morning to confirm. Is the plan still to meet at the ramp at 11?

Hope to meet all of you guys tomorrow and I am ready to put some good riding in. I am really pumped!

-Sam
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
yeah, meet there around 11 but i will call when i am leaving destin...

REESE - you mean late Sat or late Sun? We will be out both days.
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
anyone who thinks they might ride with me should bring an ipod or something else with a headphone jack if you want to listen to specific music while riding
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
It would be Sat. I can not make it out on Sunday for sure.

(Message edited by era3 on September 28, 2007)
Old    sdahockey21            09-29-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
OK Guys I got A green light, I will see you out there!!

-Sam

BTW Looks Like The Weather Is Going To Be Amazing!!
Old    sdahockey21            09-29-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
Ok Guys,

Well, That was the coolest place, I have ever riden, Thanks for the pulls Matt, and I hope you get back to trying those 3s soon....Haha

I also hope you still recall who I am..

So lets do it again guys, and hopefully less people will bail!

X2 should be back this weekend if all goes well! So is 2 weekends from now be good for you guys??
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-29-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
Man I hate I missed you guys this weekend! I was bummed all day!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-29-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
We decided not to camp for anyone coming out sunday, so dont look for us but I think Matt was supposed to come back out but he has a memory problem currently due a bad 3. I still encourage others to check it out but the ramp is in way worse condition then I remember. We still got the 3400 lb monterey out with a 2 wheel drive and no wheel spin.
Oh yea I ate my prop putting the boat on the trailer too, Not bad I guess 2 props in 6 years.
Maybe we will have to plan another trip in the future. Sam you can take the reigns and try to get some people, I tried to get some folks together to ride and hang out but it just didnt happen?
That place is pretty sweet isnt it sam? How many boats did you see all day, maybe 10?
Old    sdahockey21            09-30-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
Hardly 10 boats and it didn't even matter, because as soon as they passed the wake would be gone.

Matt is not going today, (Sunday) he is going to take it easy for a week, he is pretty shaken, he said he felt fine, but just weird. So no go on Sunday.

Thanks Bob for putting this together, It was a lot of fun, we will have to do it again with more riders and more boats!

Reese you missed a good time! Sorry dude...
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-01-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
Bob, still riding eh? How's the boat?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2007, 12:41 AM Reply   
Mike, how you doing? Boats still running, with some extra maintenance though due to all the riding and a small salt water corrosion problem on my steering system. I had everything short of the gimbal housing off the back of the boat to replace the two corroded parts that steer the stern drive unit. Thats what 850+ hours in salt, and not realizing it was getting wet thru the years since its burried inside the transom, does. So hows that Nautique treating you? I see your still sporting 01 bindings, according to your profile. I just upgraded my old 01 belmonts, which were toast, to some leftover 05 parks from grizzly...killer deal I might add. Im just not feeling this closed toe, snowboard binding look-alike crowd?? Plus it just seems to me they are building em like that due to the newer heavy duty materials, id rather the binding fail then my foot, on exit. We got to do some wakeskating this past weekend which I havent had a chance to do in probably 2 years. We should plan to meet up at owc sometime since some friends around here are wanting to make a run down that way sometime in the future.
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
Bob, Good to hear from you. I'm hanging in there. Not riding that much, too many other projects. Yea, still the same old board and bindings. My boat has had some problems too. Had to replace the exhaust manifolds recently, and the trailer. I'm in need of a water pump now....break out another thousand! Let me know if you get down to OWC, I may be able to get over there.
Old    sdahockey21            10-02-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
Hey Bob,

How does the weekend of the 20th sound?? I have the 19th off of school. 2 1/2 weeks notice should bring more people, or so I would think.....
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
Sam check out the date I started this thread, they had 17 days to make plans, so good luck. If I can get more then 1 or 2 person besides me and my son we may come over. If the conditions are good over here by then I will probably just stay over this way. Its an hour drive and I already tried my best to get some people together and it didnt happen. When is your boat due back, we all can just ride with you and pitch in for gas since you have the x2
Old     (hokiesax)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-03-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
I probably won't be here that weekend, but will be riding during the week 17-19 all day.

Guess it was just bad luck that it was the worst conditions ever (for the ditch) for the first couple hours on Sat. Sun was back to normal, with extremely glassy conditions all afternoon.
Old    sdahockey21            10-03-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
Matt, it was probably me... lol

As far as the arrival time for the x2, Sunday night!!!

(Message edited by sdahockey21 on October 03, 2007)